Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question on what’s “in spec”…. Took delivery of MSLR…. Used the mega check list and damn near perfect…
But…. I see a couple of significant crease Lines on drivers seat along side near base… I don’t think it’s “damaged” just a crease…. I would probably move on with my day… not a big deal.. but I saw someone post a pic of the same issue and is asking for a new seat…. What’s the consensus ?
keep in mind usually with tesla when they try to replace something they will screw something else up happen to me many times. If you can live with it dont change if not get it replaced but keep in mind that they might damage something else.

Good luck

Last edited:
Just picked up my Plaid. Seats were terrible -- lots of creases, indents, pulls/stretches. They noted it and said I could set up service once I get back to Dallas.

How much of a panel gap is acceptable? I'm used to BMWs and never seen such large gaps on a vehicle before. I didn't want to point out basically every single one, but it was a little surprising to see in person. I know many on the forums point it out, but in reality they're hard to see past.

Just picked up my Plaid. Seats were terrible -- lots of creases, indents, pulls/stretches. They noted it and said I could set up service once I get back to Dallas.

How much of a panel gap is acceptable? I'm used to BMWs and never seen such large gaps on a vehicle before. I didn't want to point out basically every single one, but it was a little surprising to see in person. I know many on the forums point it out, but in reality they're hard to see past.
As long as they are reasonably even you are not going to get better. Large differences from one side of the panel to the other can probably be adjusted.

How did you get SC to push it? They told me they can't?
They could only push update available to SC or what they could see I have installed. I’m not sure but I think they push that when you call with software problems. When I had 21.24.5 freeze up I made service appointment. They had me do the two resets yoke and turning car off. They tried pushing 21.24.4 and said it was the most recent they had available. It didn’t show up. Yesterday 24.24.4 showed up. I updated that. This morning I found a download for 21.32.10. I skipped a lot of updates others were getting.

• Helpful
Reactions: impastu and jebinc
I'm not happy with the quality of the wood trim and would appreciate other opinions on this before my service appointment.

Pretty much all of the walnut trim in my Plaid has small splits and checks. The small sharp edges are very obvious to the touch and can be seen clearly. I have added this to the punch list for my car when I go in for it's first service appointment. I am also a woodworker so I am particularly tuned to defects like these. The wood feels like it split during forming and they did not smooth it afterward.

I have told the service rep that at this price point I consider this unacceptable and it all needs to be replaced or changed to CF. Am I being unreasonable?

View attachment 701911 View attachment 701912 View attachment 701913 View attachment 701914

Looks like shite. I had them replace mine in my ‘17 just because of the gap to the main display bezel. This is much worse.

• Funny
Question on what’s “in spec”…. Took delivery of MSLR…. Used the mega check list and damn near perfect…
But…. I see a couple of significant crease Lines on drivers seat along side near base… I don’t think it’s “damaged” just a crease…. I would probably move on with my day… not a big deal.. but I saw someone post a pic of the same issue and is asking for a new seat…. What’s the consensus ?

Pictures would helpful for others. I am picking up my car on Saturday. Thanks

So I finally read the manual! I couldn't figure out why I could see the music shift to left/right option for my profile, and not for my husband's profile. Now I know!

"When climate controls is not displaying split temperature controls for driver and passenger, this icon appears in the lower right corner of the touchscreen to provide a shortcut to move the location of a displayed app from the left side of the touchscreen to the right, and vice versa."

Last edited:
Question: has anyone received a car yet, where the worm is not present? If so, what are the three digits after the factory ident? (The part in parenthesis for MF(...)...).

Mine is 443. I fully expect to see the worm, but I'm curious if that's changed.

Reactions: impastu
Posted on FB group.

Someone came to SC and saw this. Looks like the screen has tilting ability.
I am sure this is mostly redundant and no real answer..... Do we know if the current refreshed Plaids & LR have the hardware for tilting? or is this something that could be retro'd....I am taking delivery in the next few weeks. Id hate to take delivery than realize the earlier released refreshes are not capable of titling wether through software update or retrofit.

I am sure this is mostly redundant and no real answer..... Do we know if the current refreshed Plaids & LR have the hardware for tilting? or is this something that could be retro'd....I am taking delivery in the next few weeks. Id hate to take delivery than realize the earlier released refreshes are not capable of titling wether through software update or retrofit.
Hardware to enable tilting the screen seems to be there, but no motors to actually do the tilting.

I debated adding this next part, so take it with a grain of salt. So as if an SA said it :D but someone rumored in the Q4 / 2022 builds, they are going to start including the motor. Maybe a retrofit will come. Maybe the motors will continued to not be added. Who knows until Q4. Just do not shoot the messenger.

Last edited:
Hardware for tilting seems to be there, but no motors.

I debated adding this next part, so take it with a grain of salt. So as if an SA said it :D but someone rumored in the Q4 / 2022 builds, they are going to start including the motor. Maybe a retrofit will come. Maybe the motors will continued to not be added. Who knows until Q4. Just do not shoot the messenger.
Would really suck if the early Plaid/LR adopters get "left in the dust"/screwed - meaning no free tilting display retrofit, like we saw from HW2 to HW3 on the earlier Model 3 deliveries.

Reactions: impastu
Would really suck if the early Plaid/LR adopters get "left in the dust"/screwed - meaning no free tilting display retrofit, like we saw from HW2 to HW3 on the earlier Model 3 deliveries.
I have to imagine it would come to early deliveries, but just when would be the magical question. All left to be seen honesty as they turn the chapter to Q4. I am less confident in both ambient light and a tilting screen coming anytime soon, personally.

more changes are expected Q4 dont kill the messenger. Remember when they announced the P85D and then couple months later and yeah btw we are now shipping P90D ask me how i know lol.