Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Track Package Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're overthinking what Tesla is specifying, what other owners have already shared with you re track pack specs and how to read tire sidewalls. lol

Modern tires, esp commissioned for high performance vehicles like the MSP, are engineered to the nth degree for that specific application so citing tire pressure from one vehicle to another to prove a point is the very def of being obtuse.

If the ability to drive daily in peace/quiet, plant the flag as the fastest ev at the Nurburgring and exceed 200mph on the *very same tires* is not "maximized for performance", I don't know what is friend.

32 psi cold for GY/PS4S if bombing down the autobahn in Mex, else 40 psi dropping off the kiddies at soccer practice.
Good grief, dude, that's literally what that information is for. There are recommended tire pressures for a reason, and when one manufacturer makes recommendations outside other specs on the same tires, it's ok to question them, especially when they don't have the best track record. On the very same tires, but not at those pressures and with different tires pressures among tires at different corners. Tesla themselves is now recommending lower pressures than they were, likely having realized that they were not ideal for a 1000hp sports sedan that can get to high speed very quickly. And we have seen the techs aren't exactly the best, delivering tires outside the recommended pressure, ride heights different at all 4 corners, different tire pressures at all 4 corners, etc, etc.

Of course, prior to the track pack, the Plaid wasn't exactly known for having been properly set up, so I'm not sure engineered to the nth degree is accurate. Car mags wouldn't even track test the Plaid pre-track pack because it was felt to be too unsafe. Reviews have given such notable quotables from reviews as:

"Even 162 mph was terrifying, wandering and nervous to the point that we were concerned about our ability to shepherd it between lane lines. The steering doesn't firm up enough with speed, making the task more difficult. At similar velocities, a Taycan is resolutely stable."

"Between the flappability at high speeds and the iffy brakes, our helmets are way off to former FIA GT racing driver Andreas Simonsen, who piloted the Plaid to what must have been a harrowing 7:35 Nürburgring lap." - this was before the track pack

"The Plaid is a zombie at the limit, with nothing coming up through the two girthy grips at the end of the steering yoke. Getting that staggering skidpad number took far more runs than is typical because of the car's unpredictability."

Granted, this is my first EV, but I have plenty of experience with other fast cars, and suggesting there is no overlap in performance tuning among cars is even more obtuse.

If I'm driving a 1000hp car with my family, I want it optimized for the best performance. Always.

Last edited:
Reactions: phantasms
Hopefully, it finally gets installed. Do you plan on keeping the track wheels? Or just going to roll with stock for now and buy something aftermarket?
The sc claimed they are out of brake fluid and they are pushing it into next week. Not sure how a service center can run out of brake fluid, teslas track specific fluid cant be anything special. They will not answer if it is dot 3, 4 or 5. I would like to get a refund for the track wheels and tires but i doubt the sc will be willing to do that. It does not look like any company makes ev tires in that size. I could go with non elect Pirelli tires. Not sure how well they would hold up.

• Funny
Reactions: Sam1
The brake fluid was an issue for my SC as well. I took it back to have them check and they bled the brakes again and they said it was a pain to get some.

It is worth trying with someone at the SC to drop the wheels from the track pack. I am not worried about EV specific tires. I am likely going with non-EV. I don't want to worry about acoustic foam at 200 mph becoming an issue. I am going to play it safe in that area.

Here is to hoping you get it next week!

Reactions: 23Plaid
The sc claimed they are out of brake fluid and they are pushing it into next week. Not sure how a service center can run out of brake fluid, teslas track specific fluid cant be anything special. They will not answer if it is dot 3, 4 or 5. I would like to get a refund for the track wheels and tires but i doubt the sc will be willing to do that. It does not look like any company makes ev tires in that size. I could go with non elect Pirelli tires. Not sure how well they would hold up.
The fluid that comes with the track pack, BASF Hydraulan 406 ESI is DOT 4. It is only used with the track pack brakes. Other Teslas that require DOT 4 use 404 which has a lower boiling point.

Doesn’t surprise me they don’t have any 406 ESI laying around. Tesla provides a lot of it with each track pack as the brakes need to be bleed at least 2-3 times during the install and ABC module pressure testing.

Are they saying your package didn’t come with two full bottles of 406 ESI ?

Last edited:
The fluid that comes with the track pack, BASF Hydraulan 406 ESI is DOT 4. It is only used with the track pack brakes. Other Teslas that require DOT 4 use 404 ESI which has a lower boiling point.

Doesn’t surprise me they don’t have any 406 ESI laying around. Tesla provides a lot of it with each track pack as the brakes need to be bleed at least 2-3 times during the install and ABC module pressure testing.

Are they saying your package didn’t come with two full bottles of 406 ESI ?
Good info! They did not specifically say the quantity or if tesla did not send enough. I would take a guess and say they used what they had and ran out. You would think they would keep a bit more on hand rather than let a customer wait days for it to be ordered and arrive. I would be interested to know what their exact procedure is when it comes to bleeding the brakes. Hopefully the additional time will ensure its completed properly. I’d hate to have to send it back to them again.

The brake fluid was an issue for my SC as well. I took it back to have them check and they bled the brakes again and they said it was a pain to get some.

It is worth trying with someone at the SC to drop the wheels from the track pack. I am not worried about EV specific tires. I am likely going with non-EV. I don't want to worry about acoustic foam at 200 mph becoming an issue. I am going to play it safe in that area.

Here is to hoping you get it next week!
That’s a good point regarding the acoustic foam. I was under the impression that the elect specific tires had a special compound to handle the weight and torque better than a traditional tire. I’m not convinced the Goodyear super car 3r tire will work for my application considering the 20-25 heat cycles. If the sc sticks me with the wheels and tires i bought I plan to remove the Goodyears and switch to a traditional P zero. I’ve run that tire on loads of powerful vehicles (non-electric) with good results.

That’s a good point regarding the acoustic foam. I was under the impression that the elect specific tires had a special compound to handle the weight and torque better than a traditional tire. I’m not convinced the Goodyear super car 3r tire will work for my application considering the 20-25 heat cycles. If the sc sticks me with the wheels and tires i bought I plan to remove the Goodyears and switch to a traditional P zero. I’ve run that tire on loads of powerful vehicles (non-electric) with good results.
You can go through Tesla online sales (where originally purchased from) to get a refund before accepting them.

Tesla SC doesn’t get involved with online order processing for refunds. They will refer you back to the online side.

The fluid that comes with the track pack, BASF Hydraulan 406 ESI is DOT 4. It is only used with the track pack brakes. Other Teslas that require DOT 4 use 404 which has a lower boiling point.

I'm curious what options track pack brake owners will have when it comes to basic brake fluid maintenance. I'm vigilant about fluid changes and having to source some special brake fluid exclusively serviced by TSC would be a point of consideration.

I'm curious what options track pack brake owners will have when it comes to basic brake fluid maintenance. I'm vigilant about fluid changes and having to source some special brake fluid exclusively serviced by TSC would be a point of consideration.
You can use pretty much anything that meets your needs. Most will go to Motul 660 or Castrol SRF.

Other than through Tesla I’m not sure how easy it will be to source the BASF Hydraulan 406 ESI.

Reactions: bkcyk
Finally got a chance to do some hard driving over the weekend. One question I have for those of you who have installed the CCBs, is it normal for them to be noisy once they get warm? They don't make noise at high speeds, but when slowing down for hairpins or stopping, there's a pretty loud humming sound. Is this normal/expected?

Functionally, they work as expected. I didn't notice any brake fade and was pushing pretty hard.

Thanks!

Finally got a chance to do some hard driving over the weekend. One question I have for those of you who have installed the CCBs, is it normal for them to be noisy once they get warm? They don't make noise at high speeds, but when slowing down for hairpins or stopping, there's a pretty loud humming sound. Is this normal/expected?

Functionally, they work as expected. I didn't notice any brake fade and was pushing pretty hard.

Thanks!
No noise here. I did make sure to burnish them per ST specs which I was told would make a big difference in stopping and noise prevention.

How ever I wouldn’t be surprised to eventually have a little noise. That’s something that comes with carbon ceramic in many cases. I tried to see what Pagid pads we are running but couldn’t see the entire part number. They are GG pads so middle of the range. Good all around pad for Street and track mixed use.

Last edited:
No noise here. I did make sure to burnish them per ST specs which I was told would make a big difference in stopping and noise prevention.

How ever I wouldn’t be surprised to eventually have a little noise. That’s something that comes with carbon ceramic in many cases. I tried to see what Pagid pads we are running but couldn’t see the entire part number. They are GG pads so middle of the range. Good all around pad for Street and track mixed use.
Interesting, thanks for the info. Can the brakes be burnished with this procedure any time (after some heavy use), or does it need to be done when they're fresh from the factory? What is the procedure that you used?

Interesting, thanks for the info. Can the brakes be burnished with this procedure any time (after some heavy use), or does it need to be done when they're fresh from the factory? What is the procedure that you used?
Could be done anytime. You may just need to scrub your rotors with some high speed stops.

So what’s the risk, if any, bedding them in more than once?

Scenario: TSC supposedly bedded them in, but didn’t follow ST’s procedures down to the t so owner beds them on their own volition.

I lol at an LA Tesla tech taking someone’s new MSP on the 10/405 bedding brakes. Sounds safe.

I ordered my CCB only track pack in the first few minutes they were offered. After a few install dates set and pushed awaiting knuckles, I was informed all parts are finally in with installation set for next Monday morning. I'm hoping they get things installed and sorted out quickly (2-3 days max) as I have a track event next Saturday I was praying these would be installed in time for. I've had brake over-temp alerts along with one experience with unpleasant brake fade when I failed to pay attention to that alert. Should be nice to explore limits other than the brakes.
Dropped off at my local service center at 8am this morning. Advisor started off by saying we'll set you up with the loaner as requested, but it should be done in 3-4 hours... 🤨. I said sure it will.... Apparently I'm their first track pack install. The advisor assured me they were putting their senior most tech on the job. I'm expecting (hoping) 2-3 days and told them so. Of the four rotors, one had a "minor cracks" label. Nothing significant noted on physical inspection. Based on previous posts, my only real concern is underestimation of time to do the install. I have a track event for this coming Saturday.

39358DFC-DE1E-4E59-BF7D-13DED3EB4E6E_1_105_c.jpeg
A2EBD89A-27B9-4FE4-A23F-B4E949860291_1_105_c.jpeg
D141E8C0-F701-48C2-B274-EC2BB2A585F5_1_105_c.jpeg