Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

spare tire for Plaid track package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Modern Spare that worked just fine with the MPP big brake kit. Now that I have upgraded to the track package carbon ceramic brakes it doesn't fit. Has anyone looked at a solution for a spare? I have liked to carry a spare for longer road trips and that Modern Spare has saved me from a lot of lost time and a hotel stay when I had a blowout on a tire last year 400 miles from home. This is my daily driver and even my road trip car and I'd like it to keep it that way since it's mostly perfect for me with lots of cargo room, creature comforts, and enjoyable to drive.

In the past, BimmerZone provided spare for Tesla 3/S/X, in the case of the Model S
the BMW X3 F25 spare was used. You might find such spare on e-Bay.

Also you check EV Spare Wheel, they seems to provide all Tesla cars such as the 2023 MS Plaid.

For a temporary solution, to avoid buying an extra spare, that you might never use,
you could use a 5-hole adapter allowing you to use your Model Y spare.

But you should check that the extrernal wheel diameter is similar enough
with your other tires, using website such as TireSize/Comparison.

s-l500 (1).jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1100MCM
For a temporary solution, to avoid buying an extra spare, that you might never use,
you could use a 5-hole adapter allowing you to use your Model Y spare.

But you should check that the extrernal wheel diameter is similar enough
with your other tires, using website such as TireSize/Comparison.

View attachment 965853
I ordered the wheel adapter (spacer) from Modern Spare. I’ll report back on fitment once I test it.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I have a Modern Spare that worked just fine with the MPP big brake kit. Now that I have upgraded to the track package carbon ceramic brakes it doesn't fit. Has anyone looked at a solution for a spare? I have liked to carry a spare for longer road trips and that Modern Spare has saved me from a lot of lost time and a hotel stay when I had a blowout on a tire last year 400 miles from home. This is my daily driver and even my road trip car and I'd like it to keep it that way since it's mostly perfect for me with lots of cargo room, creature comforts, and enjoyable to drive.
The simple solution, is to buy a front Tesla rim and swap the tire.

My wife has a MYP and we have the modern spare kit for her. I just want to clarify, I can use her Modern Spare on my MSP with CCB with just an adapter from Modern Spare? If so, exactly which adapter did you use? Modern spare has several on their website.
Thanks!

My wife has a MYP and we have the modern spare kit for her. I just want to clarify, I can use her Modern Spare on my MSP with CCB with just an adapter from Modern Spare? If so, exactly which adapter did you use? Modern spare has several on their website.
Thanks!
It probably won’t work since the S and Y have a different bolt pattern. Also the overall diameter and load rating are probably different on each of those. I have a Modern Spare for both my wife’s MYLR and my MSP: they aren’t interchangeable as far as I know, even with a spacer.

That makes sense. So you got a spacer for your MSP Modern Spare so it would fit over the Tesla CCBs. Which spacer did you get? I also like carrying a spare for road trips. Thanks!
This is the spacer you'll need:

Based on my test fitment, the Model S Modern Spare with this spacer clears the CCBs just fine.

If you get the Modern Spare kit that comes with the lug wrench and the sockets just keep in mind those included sockets won't work with the spacer. You'll need to always carry in the car a 1/2" drive extension and a 21 mm socket or deep socket that fits inside the spacer in order to be able to change a flat.
IMG_0259.jpeg
IMG_0258.jpeg

Reactions: DonnyW
Hi Donny. Glad to see someone who even knows that a place called Mukilteo exists. I grew up there. Anyway, I have a 2022 MYLR and a 2022 MXLR. I'd like to get a spare tire for each but don't want to brake the bank in the process. I have a spare front tire but no rim for the MXLR, but no spare of any kind for the MYLR. I've noticed used rims for the MXLR for about $200. Any recommendations? Will a donut for the MY also fit my MX if I use a spacer?

Hi Donny. Glad to see someone who even knows that a place called Mukilteo exists. I grew up there. Anyway, I have a 2022 MYLR and a 2022 MXLR. I'd like to get a spare tire for each but don't want to brake the bank in the process. I have a spare front tire but no rim for the MXLR, but no spare of any kind for the MYLR. I've noticed used rims for the MXLR for about $200. Any recommendations? Will a donut for the MY also fit my MX if I use a spacer?
Hi Nathan, we also have two Tesla’s, a MYP and a MSP. I have a spare for my wife’s Y that I was hoping to use for my S but evidently it won’t work. While I have not personally tried it, if you read post #8 above 1100MCM notes that the bolt patterns are different.
  • 2023 Tesla Model 3/Y
  • Center Bore / Hub Bore: 64.1 mm
  • Bolt Pattern (PCD): 5x114.3 (5x4.5)

• 2023 Tesla Model S/X
  • Center Bore / Hub Bore: 64.1 mm
  • Bolt Pattern (PCD): 5x120
Close but no cigar. I found the my wife’s Modern Spare on Craigslist, now I am waiting to find one for my car!
Good Luck and here is a pic of Lighthouse park to bring back memories.
1706543574178.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
Model Y and X wheels are not interchangeable since they have different bolt patterns. Also, the Model X and Y tire diameter and load rating needs are both different. You won’t be able to have a spare to safely work with both.