Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Reversing Camera failing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my reversing camera seems to have been on the way out for a few weeks now. It was intermittent, but the proportion of time that it's working seems to be gradually getting smaller.
Originally there was green and purple flickering (see
), but now it's mostly blank.
I'm worried that it's not a simple case of bad connection, and that there may be a software glitch.
Also concerned that nobody else seems to be reporting this!

So my reversing camera seems to have been on the way out for a few weeks now. It was intermittent, but the proportion of time that it's working seems to be gradually getting smaller.
Originally there was green and purple flickering (see
), but now it's mostly blank.
I'm worried that it's not a simple case of bad connection, and that there may be a software glitch.
Also concerned that nobody else seems to be reporting this!
so you believe you have a failing camera ( title ) then you think it may be a software glitch, have You got it checked by service? You are concerned that no one else is reporting the same problem you have? seems you may be the only one with the problem if that’s true.

so you believe you have a failing camera ( title ) then you think it may be a software glitch, have You got it checked by service? You are concerned that no one else is reporting the same problem you have? seems you may be the only one with the problem if that’s true.
The car is out of warranty, and my confidence in correct diagnosis by Tesla staff is very low (I know someone with MCU1 who was told they'd have to replace their rear view camera when in fact an eMMC replacement fixed it).
Silly question - I presume they won't look at it for free?
And there's nothing incompatible with a failing camera and an underlying software issue!

The car is out of warranty, and my confidence in correct diagnosis by Tesla staff is very low (I know someone with MCU1 who was told they'd have to replace their rear view camera when in fact an eMMC replacement fixed it).
Silly question - I presume they won't look at it for free?
And there's nothing incompatible with a failing camera and an underlying software issue!
your confidence in an internet diagnosis is higher than that of Tesla? WOW

Ha! Well, in the sense of infinite monkeys, I suppose yes.
I'm now wondering if this might be relates to a recall issue - opening and closing the trunk can cause damage to the wiring harness.

I have something similar on my 2022 Model S. The center camera goes blank intermittently. No flickering just blank. I am about to pick it up. The service advisor in West Palm Beach (Okechobee) told me if they cannot reproduce it they cannot fix it. A total no can do guy. I doubt they did anything to it. To be honest, a software reset always fixes it. So maybe it is software. But I don't see many posts about this.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056