Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Along the lines of reviews and consumer awareness... I've been shocked at how many people people know what I'm talking about recently when I mention that I'm getting a Tesla. A neighbor in my building is (I'd guess) a 70 year old lady and it came up in conversation. She was so excited that she said "I'm going to go call my friend and tell her my neighbor is getting a Tesla!". Two years ago nobody I spoke to knew about it and now almost everybody I tell seems to. I can't imagine what it will be like by the end of the year.

So nobody thinks there'll be a traditional Long Lead press event? Would seem prudent to do so and just embargo until June 21 or 22, the date of first delivery and really make a splash with reviews popping up, Tesla hammering the media with delivery photos and video, etc. But there would be a huge surge in orders.

Mine isn't coming for quite a while, but I'd be upset if some press person got to drive it first.
Yea, but you'll get over it and Tesla will get a lot more mileage out of the long lead press guy's drive and article than trouble they'll get from you. it's about business and selling 20k of these a year, not whether you'd be a little upset.

Jalopnik is one source angry about not getting special treatment and writing articles it seems to get revenge in my opinion.

FWIW, Ray Wert (who was briefly in Revenge) is no longer the Editor-in-Chief for Jalopnik and quit writing for them back on May 11th.

As for Model S reviews, since I subscribe to both Car and Driver and Motor Trend I'm excited to see their reviews of Model S.

Although nice to read, I wouldn't consider his review exactly objective. Let's be real: He's an environmentalist who loves alternative, renewable energy sources, particularly those invested in electric cars.

As dsm363 suggested, the real victories will be the positive mainstream reviews (Motortrend, Car and Driver, Edmunds, Consumer Reports, etc.). Hearing a great review from Paine is -- pardon the expression -- singing to the choir.

I wouldn't expect mainstream reviews of electric cars to be objective, in general. They have a different choir to sing to.

They'll say a few positive things and a few negative things, so it sounds balanced, but otherwise they might compete for who finds the biggest flaw, I'm afraid. I think it'll be good if there are some Signature owners around who can comment on the validity of the first reviews coming out. Otherwise it might be too tempting for them to exaggerate here and there, to have a catchy story. Or they'll charge it with a 3.3 kW Leaf charger, and then say it takes forever to recharge the battery, or: "On the second day, range was already reduced to 120 miles, even though I charged the whole night.".

First review is from Chris Paine
Drove Tesla's Model S production #2 on night streets of LA last eve. What a car! Incredibly powerful, quiet, stable, roomy, luxurious, with gorgeous readouts that actually relate to electronic driving, adjustable suspension, superb handling and safety classifications, lightning speed, and music, art, and maps flowing from cyberspace onto a spacious flat screen nav. Hits a whole new level and 100% electric. This a great summer for Elon Musk and even better for everyone who believes we can rework the future. Wow!

Impressive... but one question. How long was his drive in Mr. Musk's Model S?

No one knows what the advertising will be, except some internal folks... I'm not even sure if they have an agency relationship in place. From observing their social media output I'd guess no.

Regardless, there is a ton of buzz around TM, and as the cars roll off the line I expect that to increase. I do think there is a potential to get pulled into election year politics; whether for better or worse remains to be seen.

I am with the various folks here that wouldn't call that a true review. I look forward to the traditional automotive press reviews, as they should offer some interesting comparisons and hopefully not be driven by ad sales as someone suggested.

With all due respect, does anyone have any PROOF that auto magazines show favoritism towards advertisers? I'm not saying anyone here is right or wrong, but rather I ask this because I worked as an editor in the enthusiast/hobby sector of the magazine business for 10 years (Official Xbox Magazine -- a videogame publication) until recently taking a similar job with a videogame website, and I can tell you that advertising and editorial -- both at my previous magazine job and my current website job -- are STRICTLY, 100% separated and have absolutely ZERO contact or influence over each other. In the case of magazines, the sales team would simply relay to the editorial team where in the magazine (front section, back, inside back cover, etc.) the advertiser had paid for them, but that's it. And in the online space, we see ads go up on the site whenever they're posted for the world to see. No sooner.

With all due respect, does anyone have any PROOF that auto magazines show favoritism towards advertisers?

I don't think anyone would admit it, which is the only proof that you could really have. However, the 2001 Prius got terrible reviews and Toyota did no advertising. The 2004 got great reviews and Toyota did a fair amount of advertising. I have both a 2001 and a 2004 Prius and they're really both great cars. So, in my opinion, the difference in the reviews is that one had advertising and the other didn't.