Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Standard Range discontinued, Ludicrous price jump

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long Range now the cheapest Model S at a starting price of £78,000, but the real news is that the Ludicrous option is no longer bundled into the performance model and there is an effective ~£15k price bump on a Ludicrous Performance compared to yesterday.

Time to break out the champagne if you ordered one in the last couple of weeks!

The price changes are just insane or even ludicrous.
If I was a potential customer I'd be put off in case my car suddenly dropped in price again.
I definitely couldn't afford the new prices now.
What's next?

Who knows but these changes are indicative of a poorly run organisation, of that there’s little doubt in my mind.

Last July I started keeping a note of the cost of a replacement for my S75D by specc’ing a new car. There have been TWELVE adjustments to the pricing and/spec since then. As of this moment the SR has gone so I’d have to go LR. With full FSD rather than EAP (as I have now) my new car has gone from £79k to £90k.

I have 2 years left on my PCP and if I stay true to form I’ll be changing in around a years time. I absolutely love the car and it is the best money can buy IMO but this constant knee jerk behaviour is disconcerting to say the least.

I paid cash so I can change when I like of course ... I get tempted every time there a special offer appears over the brow ... maybe that's a target market segment?

But actually sticking another year or two on the car is what I should do :)

I’m too chicken to take the risk by buying cash and am happy to pay the PCP premium for a bailout option. I’m not going to jump until I’m sure the uprated hardware (HW3) is defo confirmed to be in cars and suspect a refresh is due soonish - probably with a CCS port and maybe different pack for V3 charging speeds. I reckon that little lot is at least 6/9 months away. YMMV . :)

Nope, my mileage is the same as yours :) my best-guess is that all this mayhem is in part so that when Refresh comes a price hike is possible and that does not upset existing buyers (although current existing-buyers are hosed ...), and in fact I would be very tempted the moment MS Refresh is available (Top of my list is more range, but I'm 90 so even a 100 would help).

My thinking is that buying at the outset should mean I'm one of the first in the 2nd hand market for that model ... but there is the "early adopters are Tesla Alpha-testers" to think about ... I think?? I'm less bothered about that on a refresh than would be on a New Model, but the 90 battery chemistry isn't great, and 100 was much better, so that didn;t go perfectly for me ... so basically toss-a-coin :)

I'm a cash-buyer for a number of reasons. No particularly special low finance was available at the time, as a high mileage driver I don't want to be forced to Tesla service interval - the time-hassle is far more of an issue for me than the cost (albeit largely unnecessarily short interval for an EV), in fact a once-a-year hassle for service is a plus point of EV for me, and given that I now know about the end of quarter deals :) I am in a position to take any that I want or, for that matter, to be early-adopter of refresh ... if it happens. Penalty mileage cost has also been an issue for me, but AIUI that is now cheap enough / not-a-penalising-penalty to no longer be an issue.

I paid cash as well but been shocked to the core by teslas trade in valuation.therefore going through teslas dealership is a no go for me.so no chance for me of trading to a newer model in the short term.
Maybe if the price of a new car keeps going up it may be good for resale values.