Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Tire recommendation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Model S with the original Goodyear 19" OEM tires. They've only lasted 16,000 miles so I want a longer lasting but quiet tire. Tesla is suggesting the Michelin Primacy MXM4. If I buy from Costco or another tire retailer, how do I know if this is the Tesla OEM version of the tire - and is there really any difference?

Thanks

Look-up the tires you are considering purchasing on Tire Rack or Discount Tire Direct sites and you will see if it they are "O.E."; also just use the Michelin site. The tires will also have markings on the sidewall denoting they are Original Equipment. Looks like your choice is Original Equipment:

Tire Rack - 2018 Model S O.E.

I would highly recommend Michelin Pilot PS4S All Season (not O.E. AFAIK) if you can get them. The grip, handling, and braking are amaze-balls good.

Last edited:
I had Goodyear Eagle Tourings on my car as O.E., they were a piece of crap, lasted just 20,000 miles.

I went with Continental Extreme Contact DSW 06 Plus tires. They don’t have the form, but I am happy with them. The Michelin Primacy MXM4 Is an excellent choice as well.

I would not expect long tire life from any particular brand or model tire, though some are more durable than others. Teslas, especially the Model S are HEAVY, and even when driving carefully they put down quite a bit of torque as well as all the wear from region and friction braking.

I agree the O.E. Goodyear Eagle Tourings where pretty terrible and wore horribly; I guess they were quiet, but not that quiet!

Look-up the tires you are considering purchasing on Tire Rack or Discount Tire Direct sites and you will see if it they are "O.E."; also just use the Michelin site. The tires will also have markings on the sidewall denoting they are Original Equipment. Looks like your choice is Original Equipment:

Tire Rack - 2018 Model S O.E.

I would highly recommend Michelin Pilot PS4S All Season (not O.E. AFAIK) if you can get them. The grip, handling, and braking are amaze-balls good.
I appreciate the advice!

I had Pirelli Cinturao P7, then Michelin Primacy MX, and now Continental Extreme Contact DWS06.

Of the three, my favorite is still Pirelli. Second would be Michelin. The Michelin after 30k miles, I average 290 Wh/Mi. The Continental, currently after 4K on them I averaging 305 Wh/Mi. The Pirelli was a tad below 285.

Quiet, Pirelli wins.
Longer lasting, Michelin.
Not too crazy with Continental.
OEM I think was Bridgestone when it was new.