Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Ultra Red Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@all,

So... I am sitting here in a PPF window tint shop about four miles from the Tesla dealership here in Charlotte, NC and another person pulls up in a Tesla model S plaid to get ppf and tint. We start talking while he is waiting for his Uber driver and he indicates that he picked up his Tesla last Friday and I told him that I picked up mine on Saturday. Two things I noted:

1) His VIN is one number different than mine. My VIN ends in 33, and his VIN ends in 34. His Tesla MSP is gray with a black interior, and mine is Ultra Red with a white interior, otherwise, our cars are the same.

2) (and this really bums me out). My car has the front license plate holder installed and his does not. Say what???? We do not have front license plates in NC, yet some bonehead installed the factory front license plate holder on mine but not on his. Ugh.

Regardless, it was cool to meet the owner of the VIN next in sequence to mine.

Joe

Delivery is scheduled for Friday 28th (ordered March 10th). My 2021 Model S Plaid (15k miles, FSD) trade-in expired yesterday, and they requoted. It went from $80k to $69k! Seems like a big drop over 30 days, even accounting for the recent price drop.

Not sure if I should cancel the delivery, or look to sell the car privately (or CarMax etc).
Just 8 months ago Tesla gave me $128,000 for my Model S Plaid with FSD, 10k miles. It's crazy how prices can go down so quick. You can easily get $90K for your Plaid privately.

• Informative
Reactions: Propofoln
2) (and this really bums me out). My car has the front license plate holder installed and his does not. Say what???? We do not have front license plates in NC, yet some bonehead installed the factory front license plate holder on mine but not on his. Ugh.

At least on my 2021 Plaid it was just taped on and the Service Center removed it immediately after delivery.

Reactions: PR0FESSOR
I am stuck here at the shop putting on the PPF and window tint, so I might as well share some images.

IMG_8742.jpeg
IMG_8743.jpeg

You can easily get $90K for your Plaid privately.

Alright listed it for $89k on Autotrader. Their Private Exchange platform seems to make it easy to handle the funds and title transfer etc (been 20 years since I last sold a car privately). I asked a dealer friend and he said $77-80k seems to be wholesale at the moment.

Reactions: stok1232
Does the saving on taxes offset low ball offer from Tesla? I know it differs based on state, but you do have pay taxes on the private sale correct?

In many states you only pay sales tax on the spread between the New Car price and the Trade In credit.

So in my county with 7% sales tax, with the $69,000 trade-in offer, I am “saving” $4,830 in sales tax. So I need to sell the car privately at least for $73,830 for the same closing cash position.

Well, trade in offer just came in at $64,000. Was $77k last month. I’m done playing these stupid games.
Tesla doesn’t really seem interested in acquiring trade ins, they don’t have the manpower to handle used car sales.
They are only focused on selling new cars and keeping up with wall st.

They seem to offer below wholesale prices so that they can just send the cars off to auction and still get a few grand for their troubles. Much easier than storing the vehicles and selling it themselves.

I want to share my first Tesla (and first EV) service experience.

Picked up a model s ultra red last week -> noted 2-3 scratches/scuffs on front bumper (minor) + charge port door recesses 3-4mm more than normal on close + driver door takes a bit more force to close -> setup a service appointment on the app -> took it into service 10min before appointment time -> service tech noted the concerns and had me in a loaner M3P in 5min -> tech messaged me today that I might get my car back early.

Must say very positive so far. Now only if they release park assist soon