Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Ultra Red Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My charge port door is recessed towards the rear of the car, and so is the charge port on my friend’s MSP with only 1 VIN different than mine. I found some adhesive on the black chrome in a couple of places, but it came off easily with alcohol. I still have not found any paint flaws. Oh… I also noticed that door handles were hit or miss when it comes to being flush. Most of my door handles are recessed (maybe 1/32 inch or so), but they are not bad enough that I want a tech messing with my car. I can adjust them if they begin to bother me.

Joe

I want to share my first Tesla (and first EV) service experience.

Picked up a model s ultra red last week -> noted 2-3 scratches/scuffs on front bumper (minor) + charge port door recesses 3-4mm more than normal on close + driver door takes a bit more force to close -> setup a service appointment on the app -> took it into service 10min before appointment time -> service tech noted the concerns and had me in a loaner M3P in 5min -> tech messaged me today that I might get my car back early.

Must say very positive so far. Now only if they release park assist soon

So fun to watch you guys get your cars. My order date was 4.19, MSP in Ultra Red with wheel and 21’s. Since I sold my Model 3P, I miss Tesla. My Tesla app is lonely, can’t wait. I’ve had all types of cars from BMW M3, Porsche, Miata, Mustangs, Audi S5, Model 3P… I’m looking forward to this. Honestly there are two things I want most from it…. One is ultimate power, knowing it is up there with the fastest cars on the planet, at all times, that is tough to beat for excitement . Secondly, quiet. I’m hoping the S is a step up in interior quiet. There were a ton of little rattles and annoying buzzes constantly in my M3P, but I still loved it. I drove the S long range a couple times before buying the Plaid, it definitely feels better, solid, quieter and more complete. I have always modified my suspensions to lower every car to where it should be, but lately have stated to friends that every car I get from now on will have air suspension, they allow the comfort when desired but slammed when needed. Mine will never leave lowest setting, nor leave Plaid mode…

My app just switched to prepare for arrival May 2-23.

One is ultimate power, knowing it is up there with the fastest cars on the planet, at all times, that is tough to beat for excitement . Secondly, quiet. I’m hoping the S is a step up in interior quiet.
Yes. The Plaid's power does not compare. To anything. I think you won't be disappointed..... Oh ya....it is quiet too. It takes a few miles for the silencers build in the front seats head rests to do their job, but they will.

Last edited:
Just received VIN in app - ordered 4.19 - delivery states 28-6th. Does anyone know how to look up VIN to see vehicle build date or week?
The VIN doesn’t include that information, but others have posted their VINs here and elsewhere so you see if your car was built later than theirs. Are you trying to determine if you have HW4? The S I have on order does, and the VIN ends with 510438.

Picked up my car yesterday and I really love the color. Unfortunately mine has a liftgate panel alignment issue and per SC Tech, it will need to be taken to a body shop since they have to break (?) the glass to adjust it. I currently have it at the PPF shop to get the front end PPF and window tinted but did tell the shop not to touch the liftgate area in case Tesla refuses to fix it since I got something done to the car.

To those who has had this issue (sorry I tried looking through the pages but had a hard time finding), is it worth taking it to a body shop and have them rework the whole thing? I'm just scared it will come out worse than when it came in. Thanks!

Some thoughts:
  • This is my first time driving a Plaid and WOW. I did not expect how insane that feeling is... I wasn't even in dragstrip mode and it was bananas, lol.
  • Yoke sucks.. regret getting it.
  • The horn isn't as bad as I thought it would be.. I did the palm press to cover all the buttons and it actually works really well.
  • Signal buttons are kind of easy to get used to
  • Love the new glass roof
  • I'm not a fan of the perforated look on the seats. I prefer the smooth one from my 2018 100D.

• Informative
Reactions: HAJM and tesluv108
The VIN doesn’t include that information, but others have posted their VINs here and elsewhere so you see if your car was built later than theirs. Are you trying to determine if you have HW4? The S I have on order does, and the VIN ends with 510438.
Looks like mine is 511265.

My car will not have sensors - had a message pop up when first viewing VIN where I had to accept that - also noting that software for many features like park assist, etc. will not work until software updates. HW4, I would assume, not sure how to determine that. I would think so.

I want to share my first Tesla (and first EV) service experience.

Picked up a model s ultra red last week -> noted 2-3 scratches/scuffs on front bumper (minor) + charge port door recesses 3-4mm more than normal on close + driver door takes a bit more force to close -> setup a service appointment on the app -> took it into service 10min before appointment time -> service tech noted the concerns and had me in a loaner M3P in 5min -> tech messaged me today that I might get my car back early.

Must say very positive so far. Now only if they release park assist soon

These are common issues. The recess at the rear of the charge port door has no spec, the front one does. See the Service Manual. You can fix this yourself with minimal effort.

For sake of your car, I hope they will leave it alone, major interior trim and charge port removal required. In this case expect broken trim clips and charge port bezel.

Don't count your scratches fixed before you get your car back...in fact you might have new ones...

Based on the coverage of HW4 on the earnings call (None), and the deflected analyst question on same, I think park assist might be released sometime between Cybertruck and Roadster 2 production deliveries. I could be wrong, maybe before they fix Auto Wipers and high beams.

Good luck, and may you never have to send your car to Service again.

Reactions: mm9351
These are common issues. The recess at the rear of the charge port door has no spec, the front one does. See the Service Manual. You can fix this yourself with minimal effort.

For sake of your car, I hope they will leave it alone, major interior trim and charge port removal required. In this case expect broken trim clips and charge port bezel.

Don't count your scratches fixed before you get your car back...in fact you might have new ones...

Based on the coverage of HW4 on the earnings call (None), and the deflected analyst question on same, I think park assist might be released sometime between Cybertruck and Roadster 2 production deliveries. I could be wrong, maybe before they fix Auto Wipers and high beams.

Good luck, and may you never have to send your car to Service again.
car is back from service.

1. front door issue - they adjusted the striker and left it at that - said any more adjustment would make the door not flush. I am ok with the way the door closes now
2. Charge port is now aligned with the body - not sure what they did to fix it.

I do hope none of the clips are broken but who knows.....I guess I will have to wait to hear rattles and then wear ear plugs to drown them out :) - hopefully no more SC visits.

Reactions: aerodyne
Looks like mine is 511265.

My car will not have sensors - had a message pop up when first viewing VIN where I had to accept that - also noting that software for many features like park assist, etc. will not work until software updates. HW4, I would assume, not sure how to determine that. I would think so.
Same here. You will definitely have HW4 and the new glass roof, since mine does and it was built earlier than yours.

I don't know if there's any reliable way to detect HW4 other than looking at the cameras, which look different in the HW4 cars. I haven't received my car yet so this is based on what others have reported here. At some point the "Additional vehicle details" link on the Controls > Software screen should be able to identify HW4, but I don't think it does yet.

@vcor (aka TeslaTap): Do you have an AP computer tester like your MCU tester? Seems like it would be useful, at least in the short term.

I.
Will.
NEVER.
get.
tired.
of.
mashing.
the.
accelerator.
to.
the.
floor.
on.
this.
car.

The Model S Plaid is absolutely, insanely, astonishingly, hysterically, stunningly, shockingly, fantastically quick.

I took the dean of my college out to lunch today; she is a car person, and drives spiritedly. I warned her to put her head against the headrest, and I mashed the accelerator. She gasped, then laughed, and then said “The only thing I could think of as you were accelerating was that this was what it must be like to be in a spaceship”.

This car is so worth the price of entry.

Oh… and we discovered the fart feature together, and we laughed until our sides hurt and we were crying.

Thanks Elon.

Delivery Day! Bright and sunny in Florida and the car looks amazing at first glance. Love how the red change color based on the light intensity.

IMG_2937.jpeg

Then I start looking closely and notice that the whole back of the car looks like it had been hit by gravel during transit. This is a false-color image of the rear hatch, all of those white dots are not dust but chips in the paint. Argh.

IMG_2938.jpeg

Same larger paint chips under the spoiler. The whole back was chipped like that, and the service center manager that eventually came out was embarrassed. Naturally, I declined the car.

IMG_2939.jpeg

Oddly enough they had an identical specced car in inventory, but with 21" instead of the 19" I ordered (all my previous Model S going back to 2012 had 21" wheels, but I was getting tired of wheel curb rashes). It was still dirty and wrapped in all the protective films when they brought it out for me to initially inspect, so it can't have been a reject. The driver-passenger door had a slight alignment issue along the bottom, but the service center was able to fix that quickly. After a tentative acceptance, it came back an hour fully detailed.

IMG_2954.jpeg

Back home next to the 2021 Grey Plaid.

IMG_2956.jpeg

Front licence plate was removed with some Goo Gone. Much better.

IMG_2961.jpeg

Delivery Day! Bright and sunny in Florida and the car looks amazing at first glance. Love how the red change color based on the light intensity.

View attachment 932265

Then I start looking closely and notice that the whole back of the car looks like it had been hit by gravel during transit. This is a false-color image of the rear hatch, all of those white dots are not dust but chips in the paint. Argh.

View attachment 932266

Same larger paint chips under the spoiler. The whole back was chipped like that, and the service center manager that eventually came out was embarrassed. Naturally, I declined the car.

View attachment 932267

Oddly enough they had an identical specced car in inventory, but with 21" instead of the 19" I ordered (all my previous Model S going back to 2012 had 21" wheels, but I was getting tired of wheel curb rashes). It was still dirty and wrapped in all the protective films when they brought it out for me to initially inspect, so it can't have been a reject. The driver-passenger door had a slight alignment issue along the bottom, but the service center was able to fix that quickly. After a tentative acceptance, it came back an hour fully detailed.

View attachment 932268

View attachment 932269

View attachment 932270
Did they give you the same price or did you have to pay for wheel upgrade

My front license plate holder has what appears to be three screws holding the frame. Did yours have screws holding it on? I would be thrilled if I could take this front plate holder off.

View attachment 932265

View attachment 932266

View attachment 932267

View attachment 932268

View attachment 932269

View attachment 932270

It is Tesla, they billed for it... I should probably be grateful they didn’t reprice the whole car to the current order price 😀
Just wondering: if you refuse delivery because of problems with the car and wait for a new car with the same configuration, does Tesla typically honor the original order price? I would hope so, but I haven't been in that situation so I don't know for sure.

My front license plate holder has what appears to be three screws holding the frame. Did yours have screws holding it on? I would be thrilled if I could take this front plate holder off.
Yes. Remove those first (I used a plier to turn the bolt), they secure the painted frame to a plastic block that is taped in place. I then sprayed Goo Gone around the block, and a few minutes later was able to pull it off.

There are some YouTube videos on it.