Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model T Roof Rack Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have research and read a vast number of questions and responses to the annoying "whistle" from the front OEM Tesla roof rack on a Model Y Performance. I can now finally put this this problem to bed! I purchased the Vortex Strips for Rhino-Rack Aero Crossbars linked here Replacement Vortex Strip for Rhino-Rack Vortex Aero Crossbars - 15-3/4" Long - Qty 1
ITEM # RRM626 for $2.89 each. You will need 3 pieces for the front rack and 3 for the back rack if you chose to install these. I removed to OEM rubber insert from the front rack and installed 3 of the Vortex strips and Voila! no more whistle. There really no need to replace the rear rack inserts as the noise was coming from the front rack only but of course can be done to match the front. I was elated as the whistle on my brand new 2022 Model Y Performance was so annoying. If you are experiencing that annoying whistle, wait no longer and get this fixed now!!
Roof Rack.jpg

I have research and read a vast number of questions and responses to the annoying "whistle" from the front OEM Tesla roof rack on a Model Y Performance. I can now finally put this this problem to bed! I purchased the Vortex Strips for Rhino-Rack Aero Crossbars linked here Replacement Vortex Strip for Rhino-Rack Vortex Aero Crossbars - 15-3/4" Long - Qty 1
ITEM # RRM626 for $2.89 each. You will need 3 pieces for the front rack and 3 for the back rack if you chose to install these. I removed to OEM rubber insert from the front rack and installed 3 of the Vortex strips and Voila! no more whistle. There really no need to replace the rear rack inserts as the noise was coming from the front rack only but of course can be done to match the front. I was elated as the whistle on my brand new 2022 Model Y Performance was so annoying. If you are experiencing that annoying whistle, wait no longer and get this fixed now!!View attachment 869245
was there any adhesive of any sort holding the old rubber in place? If no, it just peels off?

ITEM # RRM626 for $2.89 each. You will need 3 pieces for the front rack and 3 for the back rack if you chose to install these. I removed to OEM rubber insert from the front rack and installed 3 of the Vortex strips and Voila! no more whistle. There really no need to replace the rear rack inserts as the noise was coming from the front rack only but of course can be done to match the front. I was elated as the whistle on my brand new 2022 Model Y Performance was so annoying. If you are experiencing that annoying whistle, wait no longer and get this fixed now!!View attachment 869245

Similar thing worked for me, with only the front cross bar needed. Still working great.

I removed the front rack from the car and then removed one of the end pieces using a Torx bit. Them simply put up and out the existing rubber piece. I saved it just in case. As I mentioned, I only did the front rack.

It would be nice to have the options but I think I'm too frugal to give up 2-3% on a daily basis. I already die a little inside seeing the loss from sentry mode when parked at work... It's like if my ICE car had a tank that leaked a quarter gallon of gas every day in the parking lot during a 10 hour workday.

It would be nice to have the options but I think I'm too frugal to give up 2-3% on a daily basis. I already die a little inside seeing the loss from sentry mode when parked at work... It's like if my ICE car had a tank that leaked a quarter gallon of gas every day in the parking lot during a 10 hour workday.
*except: one quarter of a gallon of gas = $1.25 (CA est) and 1.5% (~1.2kW) for 12 hours of Sentry Mode (and peace of mind) is $0.15 (or less, if you charge at the office for free). And—the hit to efficiency is really only at higher (highway) speeds. On surface roads, the range impact is markedly less. YMMV — Good Luck.

Ha ha, sorry in advance and hope this isn't too off topic...Maybe I'm doing my math wrong. I thought it seemed like my car is using 250w/hr in sentry, so that's 2.5kwh in 10 hours. (250w / 280 w/mi average driving efficiency x 10 hours = 8.9 miles of range loss in 10 hours. My previous gas car got 35mpg so that's like a quarter gallon (8.9/35). But yes, my average home charging costs for [email protected]/kWh = $0.90. And we are paying well above $3.60/gallon these days, but it still seems like Tesla could make sentry more energy efficient.

My home baseline energy usage is 750w/h (3x that of sentry) and that includes a 6 camera nvr with continuous recording, 200w pond pump, and NAS, 2 routers, cable modem, Roku x2 that never powers off, smart home hub and 20+ wired devices, and multiple other TVs, av equipment, etc which have small constant phantom drain...

There is another good thread on here about this. A number of us found these Aerogrip strips to be a great solution. Keep in mind there are two noises from racks. One is the whistle and the other is just additional wind noise from the extra drag. You need something like a faring to reduce the drag and cut down on the added wind noise, but the whistle is most annoying and an easy fix. Many of us on here and in the other thread had great results from these strips. Instead of replacing the rubber altogether with all of those little pieces, you simply adhere this in front of the inlaid strip the racks come with. Stops the whistle and adds even more raised grips to the racks, which is nice when securing things.

Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/NXTGEN-AUTOM...ersal-Accessory/dp/B0B41LR2QM?ref_=ast_sto_dp