Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model x 2017 FSD upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i just bought through the app fsd upgrade for 2000 usd. will i get free upgrade to mcu2 and autopilot hw 3.0? i did not get any message on options for upgrading hardware. one of the thread says if i upgrade mCU2 I will get FSD. Do you guys think I should have done that?

Tesla changed the price for FSD last night. It is $8k for those who have basic autopilot and $2k for those with EAP.
That is MASSIVE. $4k savings is nothing to sneeze at. Thanks for the heads up, I went ahead and bought it.

In regard to the mcu upgrade tho, I'm basing it on my experience from my first MX where I had FSD included already but didn't have MCU2. So I still had to pay $2k out of pocket to get the MCU2 upgrade with the new screen ($1700 if you keep the old screen).

Reactions: Bigriver
That is MASSIVE. $4k savings is nothing to sneeze at. Thanks for the heads up, I went ahead and bought it.

In regard to the mcu upgrade tho, I'm basing it on my experience from my first MX where I had FSD included already but didn't have MCU2. So I still had to pay $2k out of pocket to get the MCU2 upgrade with the new screen ($1700 if you keep the old screen).
honestly, EAP has most of the functionalities. I am not sure if I even need FSD. Instead worth spending money on MCU2, which can add entertainment and enhanced connectivity. Thoughts?

EAP has most of the functionalities. I am not sure if I even need FSD. Instead worth spending money on MCU2, which can add entertainment and enhanced connectivity. Thoughts?
EAP has the all-important (to me) lane change on highways. And I have been in unfamiliar cities when the Navigation on Autopilot changing of highways has been important to me. So EAP is good, but I really don’t care anything about Summons.

As I have used FSD Beta for several years now, I have found it helpful driving in unfamiliar streets with odd intersections. I also have come to expect it to obey traffic lights, something I like far more than I expected. As of V12, I see the improvement that makes me think I will use it more and more.

MCU2 was a necessity for me, not for any of the entertainment features, but just to make my center screen and navigation usable. No more waiting 10 min for it to reroute me, and no more auto reboot every few hundred miles.

So if I had EAP on an MCU1 car and had to choose between FSD and MCU2, I would pick MCU2. But I think $2k is a reasonable price for each of them and both are good ways to extend the usefulness of an older car.

EAP has the all-important (to me) lane change on highways. And I have been in unfamiliar cities when the Navigation on Autopilot changing of highways has been important to me. So EAP is good, but I really don’t care anything about Summons.

As I have used FSD Beta for several years now, I have found it helpful driving in unfamiliar streets with odd intersections. I also have come to expect it to obey traffic lights, something I like far more than I expected. As of V12, I see the improvement that makes me think I will use it more and more.

MCU2 was a necessity for me, not for any of the entertainment features, but just to make my center screen and navigation usable. No more waiting 10 min for it to reroute me, and no more auto reboot every few hundred miles.

So if I had EAP on an MCU1 car and had to choose between FSD and MCU2, I would pick MCU2. But I think $2k is a reasonable price for each of them and both are good ways to extend the usefulness of an older car.
thank you. good summary. I will go for MCU2 for now. I thought the slow maps loading was due to computer, looks like it is related to screen rendering, based on your observation. I wish TESLA offer both upgrades together.

In my maps, I do not get alternate route suggestions - this is very important for me. Do you know which upgrade will solve that issue?

Do not pay for the MCU2 upgrade, complain about it to service first.

When you were sold the car, you were told it has all neccesary hardware for FSD. If you cave like everybody else they will continue to forget about creating a branch of FSD for the MCU1 computer.

we have fsd on our 2017 x with mcu 1 from day one. They changed our chip in 2022 and our cameras in jan 2023. Never got a software update with FSD still till this day. We have all enhanced ap features while paying for FSD and our car has not had an update in over a year. Its stuck and they wont fix it.

Its 7 years almost since we have had the car with no FSD Beta (or now supervised) features.

I understand everyone is saying to just get MCU2 but thats because they just blow money and want the conveniences of the upgraded system like netflix and a snappier response also the side camera views are nice too.

But the whole problem people continually fail to realize is tesla sold hundreds of thousands of owners a flawed system and they dont wanna own up to it.

Not right.

Complain first. Make it noted. Get it on paper from service center that they cant push the update for X reasons.

Then go pay for the upgrade on a seperate visit.

Note it. Get the FSD update.

Then take then to small claims and get your $1600 back.

They wont show up. You’ll win. You’ll save even more money for what you weren't supposed to pay for in the first place.

Reactions: Tam
I do not get alternate route suggestions - this is very important for me. Do you know which upgrade will solve that issue?
MCU2 will give you alternate routes.

the whole problem people continually fail to realize is tesla sold hundreds of thousands of owners a flawed system and they dont wanna own up to it…. Then take then to small claims and get your $1600 back.
I fully think that Tesla should have paid for MCU2 updates for cars that purchased FSD since it seems to be necessary hardware. But it’s not a hill that I am willing to die on and for me, I am really glad that I just got the MCU2 update as soon as it was available. At the time it wasn’t about getting FSD to work, nor was it about the entertainment streaming, but it just made the car better in so many ways.

If I had not gotten the MCU2 update, I would be VERY bothered by this issue and I probably would have done more than $2k damage to my health and well-being stewing over it.

To go the route of small claims court, did someone need to opt out of arbitration when they bought the car?

All great points above, however, I will also give my thoughts since I've owned 3 legacy MX's each with a diff combination of EAP/FSD/MCU.

• '16 P90D has EAP and MCU1.
  • '16 75D had FSD and originally MCU1 -> paid to upgrade to MCU2
  • '16 P100D had EAP and MCU2 -> paid to upgrade to FSD
First off, I LOVE FSD and had been using it from when it first publicly released. I use it 75% of all my city driving and 90% of my highway driving. It's a gamechanger and for that reason I dont enjoy driving my P90D because it doesnt have it.

That said, MCU1 -> MCU2 upgrade on its own merit, meaning if it weren't absolutely required for FSD , is NOT worth $2k. I barely notice the difference tbh since i use mostly google maps and anything else bluetooth from phone. The theater apps from MCU2 are garbo anyway they're super slow and annoyingly painful. Also when you pay for the MCU2 upgrade, I learned the hard way your vehicle warranty/extended does NOT cover the MCU2 if it breaks since you paid out of pocket for this upgrade. I had to pay $2k a SECOND time because of an unrelated issue (rear camera not responding) when my vehicle was STILL UNDER WARRANTY. F U tesla.

I have 48 hours to cancel FSD upgrade which I ordered. I do not see any changes in driving. I am just going to cancel it for now. unless they give both MCU2 and FSD together it does not make sense. I waited for so long - I can wait for another deal.

I have 48 hours to cancel FSD upgrade which I ordered. I do not see any changes in driving. I am just going to cancel it for now. unless they give both MCU2 and FSD together it does not make sense. I waited for so long - I can wait for another deal.
hello all, for now I cancelled the update. Thank you for all the inputs. i do not want to spend money for both MCU2 and FSd. it is not fair.