Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What hardware and software will change if I buy FSD for my 2017 MS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 Model S with AP hardware 2.0 and MCU 1.5, and enhanced autopilot. It has been stuck on the 2022.8.10.x firmware series.

If I buy FSD for $2000, what hardware will be changed besides the AP 3.0 hardware? MCU upgrade? Cameras upgrade?

What do I lose? Radar disabled? Radio tuner absent?

Software-wise, is enabling FSD all-or-nothing, or are there still lesser options (TACC, EAP)?

Thanks!

I have a 2017 Model S with AP hardware 2.0 and MCU 1.5, and enhanced autopilot. It has been stuck on the 2022.8.10.x firmware series.

If I buy FSD for $2000, what hardware will be changed besides the AP 3.0 hardware? MCU upgrade? Cameras upgrade?

What do I lose? Radar disabled? Radio tuner absent?

Software-wise, is enabling FSD all-or-nothing, or are there still lesser options (TACC, EAP)?

Thanks!
I have a Jan 2017 MS90D with FSD.

The FSD upgrade upgraded my cameras and autopilot computer. Not MCU or radio. However, without MCU2, you may be waiting longer to get FSD software installed. Not sure if any MCU 1, 1.5 owners have received latest FSD software.

FSD will have you drop radar.

With MCU2 install, you can also get the radio tuner for FM for extra fee. Lose AM. Possibly XM too but I never used that. But I think the MCU2 upgrade is definitely worth it. Makes the car feel new again and can use things like sentry and voice commands and maps work better.

Thanks.

I don't know if it is still accurate but it I saw some posts saying the MCU2 upgrade is around $2000 and AP3 hardware and cameras come with that. Is this correct?

If I were to do that without buying FSD, would all the existing EAP features still work (possibly without radar) and would I start getting modern firmware updates?

I am also thinking about upgrading to FSD for $2,000 for my 2018 M3 with EAP.
Main reason for me is that, I want FSD to be transferred to a new car purchase when they allow it again.

Currently, side cameras have light bleed, would the FSD upgrade include newer camera replacements too?

Thanks.

I don't know if it is still accurate but it I saw some posts saying the MCU2 upgrade is around $2000 and AP3 hardware and cameras come with that. Is this correct?

If I were to do that without buying FSD, would all the existing EAP features still work (possibly without radar) and would I start getting modern firmware updates?
Yes MCU2 upgrade was around 2k for me but the camera upgrade didn’t come with that for me. The camera upgrade came with the FSD purchase.

If you only upgraded your MCU, you would keep EAP to my knowledge.

I wouldn’t count on FSD always being transferrable. (Even though I wish it was.). But in your case, you may need to actually purchase FSD for you to get the camera and AP computer update. For cars that already have the camera and AP computer upgrade delivered from the factory, you could just get the subscription. But if all you want is EAP, can stick with what you have and the MCU upgrade is optional.

I am also thinking about upgrading to FSD for $2,000 for my 2018 M3 with EAP.
Main reason for me is that, I want FSD to be transferred to a new car purchase when they allow it again.

Currently, side cameras have light bleed, would the FSD upgrade include newer camera replacements too?
I wouldn’t count on FSD always being transferable. (Even though I wish it was and believe it’s a great way for Tesla to retain customers). Until Tesla states that, at best we can hope for is that they allow the transfer during certain quarters to boost sales.

I'm picking up my 2018 MS tomorrow, I paid the $2K for FSD upgrade. They replace the MCU from 2.5 -> 3.0. I asked the tech about the cameras, they said they will replace them complimentary only if they determine during the install that it is needed.

At $2K, it's actually cheaper than factory price of $3K when I bought the car in 2018. And it was $4K post factory to upgrade to FSD back then.