Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 2022 Refresh model windshield tinted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
Does anybody here have the model X windshield tinted or recommend or not! The car is fully tinted except the windshield. I live in Florida where the sun always out. Should I get my front windshield tinted? Do you recommend it or not? If you had it done. are you happy with it, does it worth the money?

Thanks for you feedback.

Hi,
Does anybody here have the model X windshield tinted or recommend or not! The car is fully tinted except the windshield. I live in Florida where the sun always out. Should I get my front windshield tinted? Do you recommend it or not? If you had it done. are you happy with it, does it worth the money?

Thanks for you feedback.
I just had windshield PPF and 70% window tint applied to my new 2021 refreshed model S 5 days ago. The other windows have tint only and look great. The windshield feels like I'm looking through a glass of water almost - wavy, slightly blurry - definitely not near the clarity I had prior to application. I contacted the installer and he said to give it more time for the water to dry and that windshields take longer to dry than other windows. It is not improving so far and I have my doubts. Currently, the view quality through my windshield is unacceptable but I do need the protection from rock chips in my area. I will keep you posted.

• Informative
Reactions: eeee-meeee
Upvote 0
I just had windshield PPF and 70% window tint applied to my new 2021 refreshed model S 5 days ago. The other windows have tint only and look great. The windshield feels like I'm looking through a glass of water almost - wavy, slightly blurry - definitely not near the clarity I had prior to application. I contacted the installer and he said to give it more time for the water to dry and that windshields take longer to dry than other windows. It is not improving so far and I have my doubts. Currently, the view quality through my windshield is unacceptable but I do need the protection from rock chips in my area. I will keep you posted.
I am not sure how much of my problem is due to tint versus PPF. I'm sure that applying both is riskier but I was not advised by the installer that this would be a problem.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Thanks for you feedback.
Hi - definitely recommend if you live in a sunny area like me. I’m in Southern California and my 2022 model X windshield is tinted at 50%. I love it. Zero regrets. I’ve had the car since December 2021 and haven’t had any visibility issues at all. coincidently, I just posted about this topic with pictures on my IG. Hope it helps. Good luck!

Link: Login • Instagram

Reactions: Genie and Prairie
Upvote 0
I am not sure how much of my problem is due to tint versus PPF. I'm sure that applying both is riskier but I was not advised by the installer that this would be a problem.
Thanks, I have an appointment for next week to get my front windshield done. Will keep you posted. Did they tint your window with one piece or two pieces of film?. Some place try to use two pieces instead of one to save money. One piece of film tint cost more will give you a better result than two piece. Whatever you do make sure they use one piece film to do the windshield.

Reactions: LadyMX
Upvote 0
Thanks, I have an appointment for next week to get my front windshield done. Will keep you posted. Did they tint your window with one piece or two pieces of film?. Some place try to use two pieces instead of one to save money. One piece of film tint cost more will give you a better result than two piece. Whatever you do make sure they use one piece film to do the windshield.
Mine is one piece. Cost $1200.

Reactions: RoBoRaT
Upvote 0
Hi - definitely recommend if you live in a sunny area like me. I’m in Southern California and my 2022 model X windshield is tinted at 50%. I love it. Zero regrets. I’ve had the car since December 2021 and haven’t had any visibility issues at all. coincidently, I just posted about this topic with pictures on my IG. Hope it helps. Good luck!

I was planning on having my front windshield tinted at 50% but the local shop (very reputable) says that the model x is the only windshield they refuse to tint because of the size and the danger of the windshield cracking because heat cannot escape from the glass - basically the tint keeps the windshield from naturally releasing the heat buildup and holds in the heat. Has anyone heard of the front glass on the model x cracking from being tinted and exposed to the sun for an extended period? This is the first I'm hearing of it.

Reactions: Szzz
Upvote 0
I had 70% installed on the windshield - and it does make a difference. I was concerned that it would make it too dark, but that is not the case. If I had to do it over again, I would probably want to look at a 50% tint for the windshield.

The windshield tint was installed as a single piece, although cut-out around the mirror and cable chase. The tint technician told me the MX windscreen is very difficult to tint due to its size. He said it took three technicians three attempts (discarding the tint each time) to get it applied. This was the first refresh MX that they worked on - and there were four other refresh MXs waiting to be tinted after mine.

If you are near the Tampa area - I would highly recommend the folks at @Auto Paint Guard for both PPF and window tint.

Upvote 0
Windshield makes a difference ......recommend it anywhere that gets a lot of Sun.
There are very reputable and highly rated shops that will not touch our windshields.
Look around for someone who has done a bunch. Requires experience for sure....but worth it.

Upvote 0
Windshield makes a difference ......recommend it anywhere that gets a lot of Sun.
There are very reputable and highly rated shops that will not touch our windshields.
Look around for someone who has done a bunch. Requires experience for sure....but worth it.
Have you heard any of the suggestions that the Model X windshield should not be tinted because it is susceptible to the glass cracking because the heat cannot escape? I want to get the front windshield tinted, but local tint shop has scared me a bit with these claims.

Reactions: Szzz
Upvote 0

This is super helpful! I saw your pictures on IG Thank you. I was thinking 70%, but 50% looks great on your car. I'm going for 50%. If anyone from law enforcement is reading this... just kidding! :cool:

Upvote 0
Hi do you have any updates with regards to the Blurry-wavy glass on your windshield?

Upvote 0
I’d like to tint my new X windows like most people. I will have the white interior (which effects how the tint darkness looks from the reflection of light) and I know the rear glass is smoked/dyed and no UV/UVB protection. I want a dark result like 20% in the front windows but not too dark. I was thinking 50% on rear and 18% on front doors. Thoughts or examples of what anyone has done? Thanks!

Upvote 0
Here is my new plaid with full frontal ppf and windshield 50 percent and sides 20. New Jersey shop did a great job. Terrible photo glare now but I drove it last night for the first time and I had no visibility issues
6B7706EF-B0B5-4EBB-B5D9-2722E7550BE7.jpeg

Upvote 0
Here is my new plaid with full frontal ppf and windshield 50 percent and sides 20. New Jersey shop did a great job. Terrible photo glare now but I drove it last night for the first time and I had no visibility issues View attachment 815405
Looks fantastic! Did you do 20% on front and rear sides, meaning the total percentage on the rear is probably closer to 5-10% factoring in the 20% factory tint? Or did you mean you did 20% on the front in order to have it look the same as the factory tiny on the rear sides?

Upvote 0
I was planning on having my front windshield tinted at 50% but the local shop (very reputable) says that the model x is the only windshield they refuse to tint because of the size and the danger of the windshield cracking because heat cannot escape from the glass - basically the tint keeps the windshield from naturally releasing the heat buildup and holds in the heat. Has anyone heard of the front glass on the model x cracking from being tinted and exposed to the sun for an extended period? This is the first I'm hearing of it.

I have heard this too! It was in regard to my Model S roof. WTF!

Upvote 0
thanks for the comment and your feedback. will post picture once I get done on 3rd. Here in Miami average price for the front window is $400. The place does great work and very satisfy with previous work.
Can you recommend the tint shop you used in Miami? I am in FLL and just had my sides tinted but the driver's side always got lifted because the bottom gasket was too tight. Also, when the tint was on, it never auto open/closed. Worked fine without.

Upvote 0
Tomorrow is the big delivery day! Pick up at 11:00. 3 days shy of our order-versary. Already paid in the Tesla app. They said to allow 15 minutes to give them our M3 trade and pick up our model X. I’m sure we’ll take a lot longer to look at the car over. I am hoping that ours will be perfect as has been the case with some on here. Unless there is something major, we will likely accept delivery and set an appointment to fix whatever we find. It’s finally here! Probably won’t sleep much tonight. I feel like a kid going to Disneyland tomorrow 😂
MX LR Red/White 20’s. FSD
Ordered June 27 2021
I’ll post pics after ceramic and tint next week!

Upvote 0