Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Adaptive Suspension Test Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, so I called my local showroom (Kierland in AZ) and they said they just got a new Model X with adaptive suspension in. I've already ordered one, but I'd love to test drive one if possible just to see if I want to keep the order or potentially switch to a new-inventory with FUSC.

Anyways, I've got a test drive scheduled for about 1 hour from now. I've got about 20k miles of time in the seat of a 2017 model X so I'm pretty familiar with its dynamics, but if there's any questions that anyone would like me to address or pictures you would like to see feel free to ask.

Reactions: dblankenbaker
It drove really nice! Not quite as huge of a difference as I was hoping, but it definitely softened it up driving on regular road. The "Sport" suspension setting was pretty much exactly what my X 75D was, perhaps a bit less roll in the corners even, and the standard setting just kinda dulled the road feel a good bit. Like it took the edge off, and did really well eating up cracks in the ground like the asphalt seal lines that were all over the place around there.

Acceleration was better than my X75D by a good bit (75D was 4.9 0-60 where this was 4.4), but it felt like the power hit the road more gradually. Like the 75D would have had the lead for the first 50 feet until the power was on in full on the new X. I tested it on Normal, Low, and High suspension settings and there was no shudder at any position. On that note, my X75D didn't have any either until 12,000 miles so that was kind of expected.

I've seen a few people say the suspension adjustment is quicker, I tested that out and if it is it's not by a significant amount.

IMG_20190523_122653.jpg IMG_20190523_122704.jpg IMG_20190523_122719.jpg IMG_20190523_122727.jpg IMG_20190523_122802.jpg IMG_20190523_122814.jpg IMG_20190523_122849.jpg

Also, I took a picture of the front half shafts and as best of the front motor as I could. I don't know what the old ones look like, or what to look for, but someone might be interested in seeing these.

IMG_20190523_123255.jpg IMG_20190523_123303.jpg

*Edit* Now that I look at it I don't think I even got the half shafts in there hardly at all, just the steering linkage? Who knows, in any case someone might see something neat here.

Last edited:
BTW, did you order a new standard model or long range?

I have a P100DL on order on 5/9. I mainly wanted to see if I should keep my order or look around inventory but he noted that they weren't supposed to do the free Ludicrous upgrade on inventory vehicles so he suggested I just keep my existing order. I've heard both ways, but it was nice to get to test drive in any case.

Nice. Placed my order 5/10. SR 7seats.

Did you happen to notice the interior quality including floor mats? I ask because I test drove a new pre-raven MX and it didn’t have floor mats and the second row passenger side seat was broken.

This one definitely had floor mats. I poked around everything in the interior, opened the doors, sat in some of the seats, and I didn't notice anything concerning at all. It felt more solid than my Model X did, though mine had 20k miles on it so it could have just been an age difference. All the storage opened and closed firmly, and the drivers seat at least adjusted just fine and without issues.

Hey guys, so I called my local showroom (Kierland in AZ) and they said they just got a new Model X with adaptive suspension in. I've already ordered one, but I'd love to test drive one if possible just to see if I want to keep the order or potentially switch to a new-inventory with FUSC.

Anyways, I've got a test drive scheduled for about 1 hour from now. I've got about 20k miles of time in the seat of a 2017 model X so I'm pretty familiar with its dynamics, but if there's any questions that anyone would like me to address or pictures you would like to see feel free to ask.

Having test driven the new Raven, would you say that it’s worth the 10k more over the inventory models?

Sure! But my question is 35 miles more and mild (?) upgraded suspension worth the 10k?! We all know some people have deep pockets / unlimited funds and throwing in 10k to the newest thing is nothing.

So I want to tow and need all the range/efficiency I can get. The advisor also said they couldn't do the free ludicrous on inventory, though I know some people have gotten it.

Those things not considered, though, I probably wouldn't pay $10k for the new stuff anyways. It's nice, but for me personally I probably wouldn't pay more than 5k for it all else equal

Reactions: candy_sr
So I want to tow and need all the range/efficiency I can get. The advisor also said they couldn't do the free ludicrous on inventory, though I know some people have gotten it.

Those things not considered, though, I probably wouldn't pay $10k for the new stuff anyways. It's nice, but for me personally I probably wouldn't pay more than 5k for it all else equal

EPA range on refreshed X P100D is 305 miles vs 295 miles pre-refresh X 100D

You never know when that extra 3% of range will come in handy lol

Now the free ludicrous would have made my decision real easy

EPA range on refreshed X P100D is 305 miles vs 295 miles pre-refresh X 100D

You never know when that extra 3% of range will come in handy lol

Now the free ludicrous would have made my decision real easy

I figured the increased efficiency might be even more pronounced under load, similar to but how a big diesel can be more efficient than a small V6 once you put a 5 ton load on them both. if we're being honest the main draw is ludicrous though lol, that's a killer deal. I bought a X75D in Dec 17 for 101.5k, and now I've got an order for an identical Model upgraded to P100DL for $109.5k. Only 8k more. Definitely happy with the price compared to the last time I bought