Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Amplifier Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Qbenjamin

Frugal But Classy!
Jan 7, 2017
Bravos
So this will be part 1 of who knows, but I'm a bit tired and annoyed with this process so far. As with most installs, the labor intensive parts are running the power wire and audio control (line output converter).

Step 1: Remove the funk panels and bin tray. This takes < 15 mins total. There are 20 screws holding the frunk bin in place (10mm). The panels simply pry upwards. Once completed, you'll see the massive HEPA Airfilter (if equipped).

IMG_3777.JPG

Step 2: Remove the nut on the bolt that holds the rear portion of the accessory wire in place (10mm). This is where you'll connect your power wire directly to the 12V battery (don't connect the wire to the battery right now). I used an in-line fuse holder, with a 100 amp fuse, but what you run will vary based upon the power consumption of the amp (can be more or less). If you turn the connector to face the firewall, you can put the plastic housing back over the positive battery terminal with any issues.

IMG_3805.JPG

Step 3: Remove the plastic panel that has a small divider for the hood arm on the right. Run the wire (I used 4 gauge) along the back of the electrical bay and route it to the upper right (this is where you'll run the wire into the vehicle as well. This shouldn't require any fishing wire, but that does make this a bit easier).

IMG_3795.JPG

Step 4: Remove the trim panel in the footwell, you'll need to access the wire from here.

IMG_3786.JPG

Step 5: Run the power wire under the plastic panel in the frunk and into the front door hinge area (don't worry, your door will close properly). I spent about 3 hours trying to find a way through the firewall, but this location was found after I was about to call it quits for the day. I used an Exacto blade and cut a small 2" incision in the rubber that encapsulates the speaker wires from the stock amp. You'll want to run it into here and into the cabin of the vehicle. There's a pretty sizable opening for the wires coming into the car, very easy to fish your wire through this area inside.

IMG_3796.JPG

IMG_3798.JPG

X

Attachments

• IMG_3799.JPG
    IMG_3799.JPG
    369.5 KB · Views: 88
I'm looking for the correct wiring harness breakdown, but I'm also going to take a break and re-attack this tomorrow. The plan is to run an Audiocontrol LC6i for line output control. I have ZERO desire to replace the door speakers as I'd normally do, but I'm probably going to do so anyway. I'll only be replacing the front stage speakers and tweeters though, Focal is my brand of choice.

More to follow later.

You might want to know about this situation that was posted recently on the Tesla Model S forum.
Problems with warranty and aftermarket amplifier install
Who would've thought and did not end well for the owner.
Considering that I had the same system installed in my S and 3, hopefully there aren't any issues. Only concern that I really have is related to the 12V dying, which is very possible with the additional power consumption from the amp.

I ran into a couple of issues that caused me to just put everything back together for now. First, the harness above that has 2 wires, don't use the red wire from there. This 12V source is always active, so your amp will always be on (will drain the 12V within a day). Second, I couldn't tap into the correct speaker wires to give me an output that my Audiocontrol LC6i could recognize as a source. I'll re-attack this issue next month.

Also be warned, but the door panel trim pieces are a PITA to remove and re-install. :mad: