Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X autopilot disabled due to front cameras frozen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, curies if someone else have similar issue, because I couldnt find similar issue online.
After driving 500 km yesterday my autopilot disabled with message something like radar vision reduce. I got out cleaned entire front bumper from snow which didn't help. Then I called Tesla service team and they explained that this message is standard for all cameras and sensors failures.
I really needed at least cruse control to get back home, which was exactly halfway. I got out and clean and wipe every camera and sensors location that I could find online. It seemed work for a brief period only.

The only car that didnt have cruse control was my first car I ever owned, made by Russian maker LADA which I only drove in a city. Needless to say it was really tiring to drive at night on 401 full of tracks that keep frying my back with headlights if I accidentally slow down to 98km an hour... brrr it was long 500km.

When I got home, I looked closely at the front facing cameras, and realized that they had condensation froze up on inside of windshield where three front facing cameras are. I waited until it unfreeze, and autopilot started working again.

I see videos and pictures online that front facing cameras should be heated. not sure if mine not working or it is simply too cold.

Hi everyone, curies if someone else have similar issue, because I couldnt find similar issue online.
After driving 500 km yesterday my autopilot disabled with message something like radar vision reduce. I got out cleaned entire front bumper from snow which didn't help. Then I called Tesla service team and they explained that this message is standard for all cameras and sensors failures.
I really needed at least cruse control to get back home, which was exactly halfway. I got out and clean and wipe every camera and sensors location that I could find online. It seemed work for a brief period only.

The only car that didnt have cruse control was my first car I ever owned, made by Russian maker LADA which I only drove in a city. Needless to say it was really tiring to drive at night on 401 full of tracks that keep frying my back with headlights if I accidentally slow down to 98km an hour... brrr it was long 500km.

When I got home, I looked closely at the front facing cameras, and realized that they had condensation froze up on inside of windshield where three front facing cameras are. I waited until it unfreeze, and autopilot started working again.

I see videos and pictures online that front facing cameras should be heated. not sure if mine not working or it is simply too cold.

I agree with the heater not working line of thought.

I didn't have the condensation freeze issue, but did have AP stop working after an accumulation of slush and other nastiness in the front end.

Also learned that wiper fluid sold in California is worthless when it's 24F at the top of an 11,300' pass in Colorado in late May. Frozen wipers and a frozen/coated windshield do not for a good driving experience make. Ironically, the AP kept the car between the lines for the most part until the wx changed to a relatively balmy freezing rain.

I've seen some condensation in the B-Pillar camera spaces as well - thanks for posting as now I know this is something upon which to keep an eye in colder climates.

Reactions: DmitryTes
Did you either buy the LADA after it was ditched in Lake Ontario, or did you ditch your LADA in Lake Ontario?

Lol, I had it when I lived in Russia, however I would total understand why someone would buy Lada, drive it for a week and dump into the lake, later claiming car was stolen to get their money back!!!!

I did look at that thread, there is no definite answers, people just guessing that it is due to frozen radar or slash.

I can assure everyone it wasn't the case with me, I cleaned my car all around from snow also, it happened after driving 500km in really cold weather, not much snow. My issues was with frozen front cameras, and question at hand if heater worked or it was simply too cold.

for those who wonders, see photo of the frozen part

Attachments

• IMG_4700.JPG
    IMG_4700.JPG
    425.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Informative
Reactions: mongo
Lol, I had it when I lived in Russia, however I would total understand why someone would buy Lada, drive it for a week and dump into the lake, later claiming car was stolen to get their money back!!!!

Haha yeah. My parents drove a Lada! A coworker had the mini-SUV(sort of jeep like) version of it. They never sold it here but one was fished out of the lake and he fixed it up. Or so the story went!

I have the same problem actually. Yesterday during the snow storm, the collision signals were going mental because of the snow banks, the car also kept suggesting that the park assist wasn't available every time we slowed down. The car sounded a bit like a band. Maybe the top hit of 2018 will be made by a Tesla.

The Autopilot and Cruise were unavailable too. Autopilot wasn't available because of the snow which was covering the lanes but the Cruise also wasn't working. We have this problem since the ski trip to Mont Tremblant.

I hope the problems will be fixed during our check-up at the Ferrier Showroom/Service Centre soon.

This happens ALL THE TIME on my AP1 Model S. It is obvious that whoever designed this sensor, with a concave lens under the front bumper, has not driven much in snow and ice. My car from Boxing Day.
IMG_0080.JPG
: