Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X battery degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I always charge it to 90 percent which suppose to get 265 miles. Befor road trip I get 242 miles. The degradation seem quite alot from 265 miles to down to now 241. I recently took a 700 miles road trip last couple weeks.. I charged it couple times now and I never got back to 242 miles. Driving always the same. I wonder if my battery will get worst. Im imagining if I go another road trip will I lose another mile? The tech said my battery its normal but I just think it's bogus what they say.
Are you on 20" or 22" rims?

I have a 2018 model x 100d. Supposed to get 265miles on 90 percent charge. I am getting 239 to 241 miles on a 90 percent charge.. car its 31k miles now. Is that normal? I do sometimes charge at a SC station.
Well, IMHO, you have to actually charge to 100% periodically to really know what you have. The less you do that the potential for error gets higher.

I just charged my 2019 with 20k miles to 100% today and it reached 324. Factory new was 326. But they had a range boost at one point but never stated what it was. Might have been 335 or so. Even with that I’d be down 3%. But maybe it’s suppose to be 360 and I lost as much as you.

Your showing 9% which is on the high side. But I would charge to 100% occasionally. IMHO it’s good for the battery occasionally and always immediately use it. I also SC maybe 2 times a month. Sitting at SC now :)

Reactions: scottf200
Well I always charge it to 90 percent which suppose to get 265 miles. Before road trip I get 242 miles. The degradation seem quite alot from 265 miles to down to now 241
But what is your percentage after going 241-242 miles? 0%, 5%, 10%? If it is 8-10% then that is a good number. Also, driving the exact same route each time will get you different numbers as wind, traffic, speed all play into it, so if you got 242 one time the next time could be 245, or 240.

Another way to look at it is if your battery is still at 100kw, and the range is 295 miles, then that is 2.95 miles per kilowatt. If you go from 90 to 0, with everything equal, then that is 90% or 90 kwh or 90 x 2.95=265 miles. But I don't believe you are driving to 0%. So say you are going from 90% (90kw) to 10% (10Kw) you would have used 80% (80kw) so 80 x 2.95 = 236 miles. So it all depends still on what your ending percentage is.

If you search for "Scan my Tesla" there is an app you can get, along with a tool to plug into your MX and you can get readings that will tell you what the state of the battery is. I don't remember what Tesla says is the acceptable degradation, but it is pretty high.

Or are you saying when you charge to 90% it only shows 241 miles? If that is the case, then as mswlogo mentions, you should occasionally charge to 100% to see the reading then.

Well, IMHO, you have to actually charge to 100% periodically to really know what you have. The less you do that the potential for error gets higher.

I just charged my 2019 with 20k miles to 100% today and it reached 324. Factory new was 326. But they had a range boost at one point but never stated what it was. Might have been 335 or so. Even with that I’d be down 3%. But maybe it’s suppose to be 360 and I lost as much as you.

Your showing 9% which is on the high side. But I would charge to 100% occasionally. IMHO it’s good for the battery occasionally and always immediately use it. I also SC maybe 2 times a month. Sitting at SC now :)
I will test it out. I will drive it to 10 percent battery and then charge it to 100 percent to see what miles I'm at. Thanks!