Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Crash on US-101 (Mountain View, CA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@LMNOP I’ve never found the auto-lane change to be willing to cross a solid white line.

It's great that Autopilot is flawless for you, but for me, it is still beta--Enhanced Autopilot AP2 firmware version 8.1 (2018.10.4 8bbbdc66).

This picture shows solid white line prior to right signal activation:

9ojwPfO.jpg

As soon as the right signal is on, the dashboard shows that Autopilot happily complies to the command to cross the white solid line with absolutely no hesitation:

lwD5GV7.jpg

Here's the video clip:

I was refuting Jeffro01's claim that there is no way AP could ever run into a barrier so we should throw it out completely as a possibility in this crash. Just an example of AP running someone into a barrier a year ago. And considering that AP2 seemed more unstable than AP1 up until 10.4 (at least in my experience with both), I don't think we could rule out AP2 doing this either.
Ah, I see. I took his post a different way, that he was saying AP would not drift or steer into that lane.... that is something I agree with. It can hit barriers that are still, no question... but those are well-documented.

Reactions: Az_Rael
It's great that Autopilot is flawless for you, but for me, it is still beta--Enhanced Autopilot AP2 firmware version 8.1 (2018.10.4 8bbbdc66).

9ojwPfO.jpg

As soon as the right signal is on, the dashboard shows that Autopilot happily complies to the command to cross the white solid line with absolutely no hesitation:

lwD5GV7.jpg

Here's the video clip:

Definitely not the same scenario as the crash.... I haven't seen it allow a change when there is a lane line chancing.. only when the shoulder is clear and fixed. I understand that you are showing the crossing of the white line, but most of us don't doubt that capability.

You can disagree all you want but is the truth, AP might have save you many times but it also tried to kill me more than I would like to. One time didn’t read a line and drove me against the freeway divider.

Both scenarios can be true. During the same drive. Repeatedly.

I was refuting Jeffro01's claim that there is no way AP could ever run into a barrier so we should throw it out completely as a possibility in this crash. Just an example of AP running someone into a barrier a year ago. And considering that AP2 seemed more unstable than AP1 up until 10.4 (at least in my experience with both), I don't think we could rule out AP2 doing this either.

AP1 and AP2 have both had their share of drifting but I’ve found it worse with AP2 in that the latter will routinely cross over lane markers. It’s usually no big deal if one is in a lane that’s not a few inches or at best a foot from a string of concrete K-rails.

It seems like every AP involved accident (except the Florida one) - firetruck, China, barriers, Mountain View - involves AP in the left lane, or the fast lane. I'm going to stay away from the left lane when using AP

Well, remember back in the day, while in the rightmost lane, AP was quite happy to exit you from the freeway when you didn’t want or expect to. Most of the time there was even an exit lane, fortunately. There was one time coming toward the Twin Falls, Idaho SC when AP decided it would take that right/exit lane while in the middle of crossing an overpass. That was... not fun.

With regard to this tragic event, it makes sense that a daily commuter would have AP engaged, and we all test new versions, no matter how squirrelly the previous version was - in part because of the abject paucity of release notes most of the time, and in part because that’s what engineers and other early adopters do.

Simply put, we are a curious bunch. In more ways than one, perhaps.

What’s unclear is whether AP was engaged, manually disengaged, or programmatically disengaged *at the time of impact*. If AP locked onto the left solid line prior to impact, that would have been not good, obviously. Was the driver distracted or blinded? Did another car encroach on his lane? There are dozens and dozens of scenarios and permutations. Re-creating the impact itself is not going to be nearly as difficult as working through what really happened during the pre-impact timeframe.

I feel badly for the family and Mr. Huang’s coworkers. I hope one of the outcomes of this accident is 100% barrier reset or effective alternatives in place within 24 hours of similar accidents. Nationally. Seems the NTSB could help with that.

Jagged hardened steel pointy things pointed in my direction without effective countermeasures in place as I’m headed toward them at high speed? Not acceptable. Not a single flashing barricade? Hindsight is 20/20, sure - but this defies credulity. Multiple accidents happened exactly there previously.

I find myself thinking that the sooner we get through the next 3-5 years until decent FSD, and through the next 15 or so years after that until the majority of vehicles on the road have that technology, the better.

haven't been able to read all the previous posts, but after reading more about the victim in other articles, to me, it looks like he was going to apple HQ by taking the 85-S ramp on the left, from 101-S. So two things: (1) he was on the correct lane (85-S ramp lane) and somehow the X veered to the barrier on the right (AP ON?), Or (2) he made a late decision to get onto 85-S ramp from the 101-S left-most carpool lane and there wasn't enough time!
I feel it was more of #2 than #1. With the new way of life on the streets - distracted driving, a quick call/text can take the eyes off the road momentarily enough to miss an exit or be late to get to it. Many get away with it, but in this unfortunate case, even the crash-attenuator wasn't reset - double jeopardy!

9ojwPfO.jpg

lwD5GV7.jpg

Here's the video clip:

Regarding white lines on the roadway. You guys know there's nothing that says you can't cross a solid white line don't you? It's the double white you shouldn't. From the 2018 Calif Rules of the Road ( https://www.dmv.ca.gov/web/eng_pdf/dl600.pdf , Pg 44). Yellow lines have different meanings. The single white lines I see frequently are when you have single or double entrance or exit ramp lanes merging onto the main highway.

"Solid white lines mark traffic lanes going in the same direction, such as one-way streets.

Broken white lines separate traffic lanes on roads with two or more lanes in the same direction.

Double white lines are two solid white lines that indicate a lane barrier between a regular use and a preferential use lane, such as a carpool/HOV. Never change lanes while in these lanes; wait until a single broken white line appears. You may also see these parallel lines in or near freeway on and off ramps. "

Last edited:
haven't been able to read all the previous posts, but after reading more about the victim in other articles, to me, it looks like he was going to apple HQ by taking the 85-S ramp on the left, from 101-S. So two things: (1) he was on the correct lane (85-S ramp lane) and somehow the X veered to the barrier on the right (AP ON?), Or (2) he made a late decision to get onto 85-S ramp from the 101-S left-most carpool lane and there wasn't enough time!
I feel it was more of #2 than #1. With the new way of life on the streets - distracted driving, a quick call/text can take the eyes off the road momentarily enough to miss an exit or be late to get to it. Many get away with it, but in this unfortunate case, even the crash-attenuator wasn't reset - double jeopardy!

He worked at Apple in Sunnyvale off Mathilda. Not the main campus or Apple Park. Apple buildings are all over these days.

AP1 and AP2 have both had their share of drifting but I’ve found it worse with AP2 in that the latter will routinely cross over lane markers. It’s usually no big deal if one is in a lane that’s not a few inches or at best a foot from a string of concrete K-rails.

With regard to this tragic event, it makes sense that a daily commuter would have AP engaged, and we all test new versions, no matter how squirrelly the previous version was - in part because of the abject paucity of release notes most of the time, and in part because that’s what engineers and other early adopters do.

Simply put, we are a curious bunch. In more ways than one, perhaps.

Oh yeah, I use the 14 headed south to Santa Clarita as my "ultimate AP proving grounds". The freeway is lots of sweeping curves that AP can have trouble with. I have found AP1 to be fairly stable and I can drive most of the way with only having to disengage a couple of times when the "pucker factor" gets too high. AP2 (prior to the new firmware) couldn't even make it through two curves without crossing a line.

So now that I have the new firmware, the next time I take the 14, I am totally going to use AP2 to "test" it even though I know it has performed badly there in the past. Now, I do wait for the road to be fairly clear of traffic and other obstacles before testing it out, but still - I am beta testing new software on the open roads and I am certainly not a trained professional or anything.

It is a bit crazy really, what Tesla allows us to do with the system.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
He worked at Apple in Sunnyvale off Mathilda. Not the main campus or Apple Park. Apple buildings are all over these days.
I see (I work off Sunnyvale/101/Mathilda - but not Apple). If he wasn't even planning to take 85-S ramp on the left, quite bizarre for car with AP-ON to veer so much to the left! Those two solid white lines even though are apart and getting wider, without putting indicator, I have never experienced my (though AP1.0) car would decide to cross a white line!

I would think he found out he was heading on to 85-S ramp and decided to move to 101-S (this would almost always be a AP-disengage or at-least auto-steer disengage) and it was prob too late. Argh! The damage is so bad - otherwise, evidences would be quick and put a lot of speculations to rest.

Reactions: Blu Zap
Similar situation but way worst outcome for car. Considering this, tesla is surprisingly intact.

Driver Killed In Fiery Crash At Everett Turnpike Toll Booth

No one is bothering. No national media will go on this item because it is not a Tesla ;)

9ojwPfO.jpg

Here's the video clip:

I think you need to go and take your driving test.
drivingontheroad-01.jpg

If it was only a single white line, it's a mistake of Tesla. But you can clearly see that it is a single white line with on your side the broken white line. So you're Tesla is doing it correctly and is allowed to change lanes.

So please try it again on a place you have only a single continuous line.

@LMNOP, in my experience with autopilot for 1 year and 18800 km I do not think AP would misplace the car on that road. From videos in this thread it seems both HOV lanes are too well marked and split in a clean way, far back.

On places where the splitting lacks a lane marking (a really wide lane, see example below) AP2 might be confused on which lane to continue in, and swerve quite heavily from one lane to the other before it settles. It is unpleasant and will startle the driver.

In my experience, AP2 is not at all hard to disengage with the steering wheel, quite the opposite. Once I hit the wheel accidentaly with my knee, disengaging AP, and car drifted toward the barrier.
Screenshot_20180329-110659_Maps.jpg

...But you can clearly see that it is a single white line with on your side the broken white line. So you're Tesla is doing it correctly and is allowed to change lanes...

In deed my mistake! Thanks for catching those very short white lines beside a continuous solid one.

If Tesla is programmed for an automatic lane changing command in the scenario pointed out above, then it is capable of allowing the car to change lane into this gore point:

This gore point has continuous solid lines on both sides (in addition to Chevron pattern to fill-in the empty space in between) but each continuous solid line is coupled with shorter broken white lines as well:

iNZ3KTy.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Kant.Ing
In deed my mistake! Thanks for catching those very short white lines beside a continuous solid one.

If Tesla is programmed for an automatic lane changing command in the scenario pointed out above, then it is capable of allowing the car to change lane into this gore point:

This gore point has continuous solid lines on both sides (in addition to Chevron pattern to fill-in the empty space in between) but each continuous solid line has shorter broken white lines as well:

cDnRJ4x.png

Can you try this for us? :cool:

Actually, I haven't got an idea why they designed something like this. I cannot find a reason for a broken white line while they have a Chevron pattern next to it.

BTW, for all others that still struggle with the family's claim. Someone already mentioned this, but I've seen a lot of posts after this who still claiming something else:
Tesla released a statement that reads: "We've been doing a thorough search of our service records and we cannot find anything suggesting that the customer ever complained to Tesla about the performance of Autopilot. There was a concern raised once about navigation not working correctly, but Autopilot's performance is unrelated to navigation."
I-TEAM EXCLUSIVE: Victim who died in Tesla crash had complained about auto-pilot

9ojwPfO.jpg

lwD5GV7.jpg

Here's the video clip:

That's meaningless. Crossing that white line is legal, it just means use more caution. That is a lane you are entering, not a no go zone or shoulder.

Reactions: Kant.Ing
Can you try this for us? :cool:

Actually, I haven't got an idea why they designed something like this. I cannot find a reason for a broken white line while they have a Chevron pattern next to it.

BTW, for all others that still struggle with the family's claim. Someone already mentioned this, but I've seen a lot of posts after this who still claiming something else:
Tesla released a statement that reads: "We've been doing a thorough search of our service records and we cannot find anything suggesting that the customer ever complained to Tesla about the performance of Autopilot. There was a concern raised once about navigation not working correctly, but Autopilot's performance is unrelated to navigation."
I-TEAM EXCLUSIVE: Victim who died in Tesla crash had complained about auto-pilot

Would any of you continue to use auto pilot in this specific area if it consistently dove into the hope gore point? Would any of you AP folks stop paying attention at a point that you knew was problematic? One thing I noticed with AP is how consistently it would do the same wonky stuff. For example, diving into turnouts or losing the road on a hills crest. You could drive the same road 100 times and it would do the same wonky thing 100 times.

My experience is that nothing even close to this has ever happened on a straight road with no Hill and no turnouts. Had anyone every experienced their AP diving into a gore point lane like the family said the driver complained about? I would never use ap again if that happened to me once much less every time I passed that location.

This is hard to prove by both sides unless there is email / text messages proof. But, I have found Tesla not necessarily log everything to the service tickets. I have email exchanges with Tesla before on problems with followup on service items but they are not logged to the service tickets, I usually print out all the items as details as possible and hand it to them again. If he only complained to the folks at service center, they may not even be on record.