Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X doors in garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

This is about how much space I will have. Am I not going to be able to open the falcon wing doors in my garage?
You may have to move some of the stuff that is on the floor on the wall of the garage, but you shouldn't have a problem if you do that. My garage is much tighter than yours and we can open the Falcon wing doors. I posted pictures of my garage with the doors open in another thread. Search my username for posts and you should be able to fine it. If you can't find them PM me and I'll post new pictures here for you.

Reactions: FaceACA
I think one side of our garage has about the same clearance as the video and the door opens just fine. It stops about 3 inches below the rail. (I did put some foam material under the rail just in case.) You should be fine.

I had already ordered my MX 90D and got cold feet that the doors would detect small brackets of the overhead door, or the pulling arm from the chain drive. Measured everything to the floor to check distances, then discovered no where could I find the dimensions of a fully open falcon wind. Asking the Tesla people didn't help. We did agree it ought to be tested and they brought over an MX to my house, which was great. They asked me to pull it in and press buttons, but was chicken with THEIR car. So they did. I was very happy to see it really did stop (and even back off slightly) as the door approached these metal pieces which would have executed a tremendous gouge in the door otherwise. If I recall, the lowest point I found hanging down was 80"; but the door surface itself was a good 10" above that.

I was impressed and happy and found my own MX does the same!

I had already ordered my MX 90D and got cold feet that the doors would detect small brackets of the overhead door, or the pulling arm from the chain drive. Measured everything to the floor to check distances, then discovered no where could I find the dimensions of a fully open falcon wind. Asking the Tesla people didn't help. We did agree it ought to be tested and they brought over an MX to my house, which was great. They asked me to pull it in and press buttons, but was chicken with THEIR car. So they did. I was very happy to see it really did stop (and even back off slightly) as the door approached these metal pieces which would have executed a tremendous gouge in the door otherwise. If I recall, the lowest point I found hanging down was 80"; but the door surface itself was a good 10" above that.

I was impressed and happy and found my own MX does the same!
Just because it worked once for their X and yours, it doesn't mean it will work all the time. Just be careful each time you open it, as slight variations can cause large differences in operation.

I've opened my doors about 30 times in my garage and only once it actually came in contact with an obstacle. I now am always ready to grab the door as it's opening.

Last edited:
i had a concern about mine to before i got it i found if i back in i can open both doors just fine however if i pull in my garage door gets in the way

Same here, I have 12' ceilings but standard size doors. When I asked about this at the showroom, they said, why worry? Just summon it out or let it pull in a park. I think he was serious. This is Cleveland, not California. No one is going to stand out in the driveway in slush, snow, winds and bitter cold waiting on a $100K car to do stunts. We want people (ie children or 90 year old parents) who are in 2nd or 3rd row to get in and out inside the garage with its door closed. We heat our garage to keep it all dry and comfortable for these reasons. And, I want to pull nose in, not back in.

Same here, I have 12' ceilings but standard size doors. When I asked about this at the showroom, they said, why worry? Just summon it out or let it pull in a park. I think he was serious. This is Cleveland, not California. No one is going to stand out in the driveway in slush, snow, winds and bitter cold waiting on a $100K car to do stunts. We want people (ie children or 90 year old parents) who are in 2nd or 3rd row to get in and out inside the garage with its door closed. We heat our garage to keep it all dry and comfortable for these reasons. And, I want to pull nose in, not back in.
because i have a lip where my garage and driveway meet ( by code im told) i cant summon my car it stops at that point EVERYTIME

image.jpeg
I always cringe when I need to open my FWD in my garage.

Somewhere on the forums I read where an owner called their garage door people and had them raise the height of his doors. I thought that sounded like a good idea so I called mine and they came out. I have standard size double door garage with 11' ceilings and he was able to raise the clearance inside by 8-9". That did the trick and I have full clearance of not only the FWD's but also the trunk. Was well worth the $250 I paid for them to change the rails and raise it. Highly recommend having a local garage door company come out and give you a quote to do this. For the piece of mind knowing the FWD's will never hit it was well worth it...

• Informative
Reactions: Ormond and ishak