Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X long range motors vs plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a very simple question which I couldn’t find the answer via search. I’m hoping someone here may know. Are the motors in the Model X the same between the long range and plaid variants? I’m not asking about the number of motors (2 vs 3), but if the long range motors are the same carbon wrapped as the plaid versions

I have a very simple question which I couldn’t find the answer via search. I’m hoping someone here may know. Are the motors in the Model X the same between the long range and plaid variants? I’m not asking about the number of motors (2 vs 3), but if the long range motors are the same carbon wrapped as the plaid versions
I believe only the Plaid motors are carbon fiber wrapped. This was done to support the 200 mph top speed, by preventing the motors from flying apart at 25,000 RPM or whatever the top end was. The top end for the long range is a mere 18,000-19,000 RPM (I think).

Last edited:
I believe only the Plaid motors are carbon fiber wrapped. This was done to support the 200 mph top speed, by preventing the motors from flying apart at 25,000 RPM or whatever the top end was. The top end for the long range is a mere 18,000-19,000 RPM (I think).
This is my understanding as well. Interesting that both the MSP and MXP are top speed limited far below the 200mph limit, with only the MSP with track package unlocking the extra speed. Seems like a LOT of NRE work to develop specialized motors for a handful of cars. The take rate on the track pack is vanishingly low, from my understanding.