Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X man maths v Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does PowerWall provide the equivalent of a UPS (uninterrupted supply) if there is a power cut? We have UPS on some bits of computer equipment, and most of our power cuts are just a few seconds - long enough to force an annoying reboot of anything not on a UPS. A whole-house UPS, via PowerWall, would indeed be great!

We have a socket on the wall for a generator, so in a prolonged outage we can connect the whole house to generator. We have to turn off 99% of devices in the house, as the generator is relatively small; in UK we also have to throw an isolating switch - to disconnect the house from the grid - before connecting the generator (otherwise generator could power the grid, and electrocute a linesman who was repairing the fault). Also, PV doesn't generate, here, in a power cut (presumably for the same reason), so I need a generator running in order for PV to also run :) PowerWall might help in that situation (avoiding the need for a Generator maybe?)

Having a socket for generator was done to avoid us running an extension lead from generator to TV and Heater, in winter ... so just laziness / convenience really, but making sure enough of the house is turned off to get under the generation limit is quite a challenge. I probably should throw the breaker for "most" circuits and designate some "if on generator" circuits to be left on.

I don't know too much about the Powerwall yet, but a properly built solar/battery system will give you exactly that - at least for the circuits you put on the critical loads sub panel (most houses have a lot more load capacity than the typical inverter rating, so usually things like a.c. and ovens aren't connected to their batteries.)

Reactions: WannabeOwner