Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Manual Update Regarding Towing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The current Tesla Model X Owner's Manual (2018.12 dated March 22 2018 Tesla) "Towing and Accessories" section on page 75 states:

Carrying Accessories

The Model X towing package has a 2" hitch receiver that can support an accessory carrier.

The hitch receiver is designed to support vertical loads of up to 120 lbs (54 kg). When carrying bicycles or other items on the Model X hitch, always check to ensure that the maximum weight is not exceeded. When calculating weight, remember to include the weight of the accessory carrier. For example, assuming the carrier weighs 40 lbs, the weight threshold is sufficient for carrying two bicycles weighing approximately 40 lbs each, or four bicycles weighing approximately 20 lbs each.

Caution: The Model X hitch is designed to support up to 120 lbs (54 kg). Exceeding this maximum weight can cause significant damage.

Caution: Do not attempt to install a carrier on a Model X that is not equipped with the towing package. Doing so can cause significant damage.​

Of course, on the next page, it also talks about a Maximum Tongue Weight of 350-500 lbs (SAE Class II & III), in the Towing section (I thought tongue weight and vertical load support were supposed to be the same thing). It also states:

Note: If the towing capacity on the hitch label conflicts with the information provided in this owner's manual, this owner's manual takes precedence.​

If I'm hauling 4 "normal" bikes (not ultra-light, but also not very heavy/electric)...I'm wondering if I'd run into the 120 lbs limit. Also, some of those hitch platforms look appealing for events such as camping or tailgating....but would they end up exceeding the limits....