Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X/Model Y comparison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We currently have a MX and are thinking of becoming an all tesla household. We have 3 little ones (all still in carseats) so would prefer to stay with an SUV type vehicle. For those that have driven both, how does the MY compare to the MX? Sizing, ride, comfort, luxury etc.

Thanks for any insight.

I drove both and Model X. A good way to think about is if Model X has the space of a minivan, Model Y has the space of a mid-size SUV. Aside from space, Model X with the 6 seat configuration is probably the best car to transport multiple kids in car seats. The seat config of a Y will force you to place all 3 car seats in the back seat of a Y and because of less space, it's much more cramped if you need to get back in there to do anything Vs a 5 seat configured model X. The Falcon wing doors are easier for kids to get in and out which is a positive as well.

In terms of Cargo space for outings or short trips, I would say X has about 50% more room Vs a Y. For a family of 5, Y should provide enough room for everything.

There is no luxury in Y. It is as basic as it gets. X has a much more comfortable ride. It's more airy inside and kids will nap better during drives in the X.

Hope this helps.

Edit : If you are deciding between another Y or X, I would suggest to get the X. If you are replacing another large ICE vehicle and money is a factor, I would say, stick with ICE because Y is not a good experience WRT size for 3 car seats and 2 adults.

It’s not X and Y, but we’ve been driving a 3 for a year and a half now. It’s definitely a sporty car - not the luxury feel I had prior (Cadillacs) but a fun little thing to drive. The Y is much the same.

We pick up our X on Monday. It’s replacing a Buick Enclave which is (IMO) one of the best family haulers on the market. I expect an even smoother ride and more luxury feel from the X....

huge difference - the 3/Y are sporty mid tier cars; the S/X compete in the luxury market. Very different vehicles - for us, one of each makes sense. (It’s only 3 of us, after all.)

Last edited:
Reactions: DSMX
I had a Y on order and almost ready for delivery pre shutdown. Then changed my mind (trade in on my X tanked after re-opening) and decide to go with another X. I like the roominess and airiness of the X. My '16 feels like it's a dinosaur compare to the new X. Like you, I'm going to wait till post-battery day to see what they have to offer. I want to pick up a new X before the end of the year.

-ThinkMac-