Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X : Need help with Decision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm deciding between buying a brand new configuration model X 2019 vs new inventory (showroom model) Model X 75D

The only difference between both is that 75D comes with AP2.5 HW and 100D comes with AP3 HW and 75D range @ 237miles and 100D range @ 295 miles and the price difference between both is $12,200. Does the price difference justify going for 75D or should i just go for 100D.

Common features between both
  1. Deep Blue Metallic Paint
  2. Black Premium / Light Headliner
  3. 20" Silver Wheels
  4. Six Seat Interior
  5. Figured Ash Wood Décor
  6. Integrated Center Console
  7. Light Headliner
  8. Autopilot
  9. Ultra High Fidelity Sound
  10. HEPA Air Filtration System
  11. Smart Air Suspension
  12. Subzero Weather Package
  13. Towing Package
  14. Keyless Entry
  15. Power Liftgate

We had same decision 2 years ago. Decided that we are keeping car a long time
So went for the 100d. Also, you only charge to 90% usually, so we charged to 265. after 2 years down to 257. The 75 probably charged to 217. If your only using in town the 75 probably ok. We take long vacations in it and extra range comes in handy.

Reactions: BerTX
It depends on your use of the car. If you are going to do road trips, you will regret getting an MX with the smaller battery. The range will always be an issue. You can Supercharge faster and have more wiggle room to make the next Supercharger with the 100. Also, the Model X can tow, but you will take a major hit on range. Even those who tow with a 90D really wish they had the 100. Or more.

Finally, remember that your battery will degrade and you will lose SOME range as the car ages. The more you start with, the more you can afford to lose.

Unless it is just for local use, and you don't plan to keep it for an extended time, then get the bigger battery.

I got a 75D. I don't regret it vs. the 100. I only drive around town w/ the long trip maybe once a year and supercharging works just fine in that case. Spending $12,200 for once a year use did not seem wise to me.

That being said, I wish I bought a P100D instead. But too late for that :p

• Love
Reactions: IdaX and P85_DA
12K for more range, faster charging, newest vehicle and lasted hardware sounds like the best choice. Those inventory 75D don’t seem to have much of a discount compared to current prices. If the difference was 20k...

Tesla has the best tech out there to drive and the X has the best front 2 seats to sit in. However, depending on your luck, this car has problems galore. It's ok while under warranty, but absolutely scared to think what can happen after that if you don't buy extended warranty.

Buy it if you are a lucky person, but if I had a choice now I would have waited for another 3-4 years before buying the X - hopefully they would have figured out all the kinks by then!

Good luck!

It really depends on your driving style. If you constantly need to drive >200 miles, you will benefit from the larger battery, by potentially skipping a supercharging session, or shorter charging time.

However, the larger battery also makes the car heavier, and of course is more expensive. Do you want to pay the premium just for a handful of road trips in the life of the ownership? Are you going to keep the car for a long time, or you will buy the new Model X with 21700 battery and new belts and whistles when it come out? All these are factors to consider.

I chose 75D because it fits my life style. I am 60 miles from 2 major cities, and we don’t take super long road trips very often. Most of the time we fly and then rent a car. If we do take long trips, kids need to stop every 1-2 hours anyway and I don’t think the extra 40-50 miles range makes that big of the difference or inconvenience.

Another reason is that I don’t know if I am going to keep the car after 4-5 years. Maybe I will keep it longer, maybe something else (not necessarily Tesla) will be on the market that I wanted to try. Remember we are still in the early stage of EV adoption. Now think about early iPhones, would you care if an iPhone 4 has 8G or 16G storage? No, because you want the new iPhone / Samsung / etc. with 128G-256G storage with Face ID and all the fancy stuff. You can’t be future proof when buying technology.

It really depends on your driving style. If you constantly need to drive >200 miles, you will benefit from the larger battery, by potentially skipping a supercharging session, or shorter charging time.

However, the larger battery also makes the car heavier, and of course is more expensive. Do you want to pay the premium just for a handful of road trips in the life of the ownership? Are you going to keep the car for a long time, or you will buy the new Model X with 21700 battery and new belts and whistles when it come out? All these are factors to consider.

I chose 75D because it fits my life style. I am 60 miles from 2 major cities, and we don’t take super long road trips very often. Most of the time we fly and then rent a car. If we do take long trips, kids need to stop every 1-2 hours anyway and I don’t think the extra 40-50 miles range makes that big of the difference or inconvenience.

Another reason is that I don’t know if I am going to keep the car after 4-5 years. Maybe I will keep it longer, maybe something else (not necessarily Tesla) will be on the market that I wanted to try. Remember we are still in the early stage of EV adoption. Now think about early iPhones, would you care if an iPhone 4 has 8G or 16G storage? No, because you want the new iPhone / Samsung / etc. with 128G-256G storage with Face ID and all the fancy stuff. You can’t be future proof when buying technology.
I guess it depends on your financial situation, but there is a big difference in my budget between spending $500-1000 for a phone and $80-100k for a car every few years. I suppose if you finance your phone through the provider and get a new one every couple of years so the payment stays the same, it is comparable to leasing a car and keeping the payments the same, but I'm a cash kinda person. I keep phones for 5 years and cars for 15+.

100D!
Yes, not only faster charger that you can take advantage at any destination charger 49+ miles per hour but at home as well with a 100amp service.
The 100 battery charges faster at supercharger vs 75.
Look at the difference between BTX5 & BTX6. This really makes a difference on charging and was highly noted between our S75 and the 100D

Tesla Battery Charging Data from 801 Cars

I also feel one thing that is over looked on the price difference is the lack of stress on the 100 battery vs the 75 during daily trips. With the 100 you can hover around the golden 50% much easier than you can with the 75 pack. Also with the 100 on any trip, a 90% charge is much better for the battery with more range vs 100% charge on the 75 with less range.

We had to make a similar decision. Went with the 75 and don’t regret it. There’s no where we can’t go with the 75, that the 100 can go. Especially, with the state of SC expansions.

In fact it’s happen a few times on long road trips to see the same Tesla’s at SC’s. Kind of like we’re following each other. Doesn’t really matter if it’s a model 3LR or model S 100D, we stop at the same SC’s as we treck across the states on the same route, relatively traveling same speed, charging at the same super chargers.

Just saying, we don’t value it a necessity. And wouldn’t agree with the “get biggest battery” unless you are in the position where the extra range is a necessity. Just gotta get home before zero

• Love
Reactions: IdaX and P85_DA
100D!
Yes, not only faster charger that you can take advantage at any destination charger 49+ miles per hour but at home as well with a 100amp service.
The 100 battery charges faster at supercharger vs 75.
The rate of charge at a destination chargers depends on the charger in the car, not the battery. While the 100 used to have a 72 amp charger, they have all had 48 amp chargers for nearly 6 months. If both cars have 48 amp chargers, they would both charge at the same rate when charging at destination charging locations, home, or any not-Supercharger charging. The 100 would be faster at Superchargers.

Like others have said 75D is good choice ..I have P100 but in 80%. Of driving I set max charge to 70% so I’m essentially driving it like a 75D and it’s more than enough ..with state of SC builds I’m able to travel easily as well ;)

Nobody ever minds the extra range but it really depends on your use as mentioned above.
Do you plan to buy FSD? If so, you will get hw3 hardware anyway at some point so don’t worry about that.
We have a 2016 model X and never had a single issue with the FW doors. I assume they are even better now.

For all those who say just the 100D, its a pretty obvious answer, and if the price difference wasn't an issue am sure the OP wouldn't be asking in the first place!

The price difference between the 75 and 100D cars have come down recently which is good, but $12k is still not pocket change for many of us.

It all comes down to usage and finances. If your going to push the car 150 miles+ daily than 100D, but if its only odd occasions than the SC + 75D is fine.

What $12k is worth to the OP is only known to them.

I've thought about getting a LR X to replace our 75D with recent price reductions, but actually after 31k I find no issues with range in our 75D, and for the price difference we can buy a whole load option for my wifes yet to be ordered Model Y:).

The rate of charge at a destination chargers depends on the charger in the car, not the battery. While the 100 used to have a 72 amp charger, they have all had 48 amp chargers for nearly 6 months. If both cars have 48 amp chargers, they would both charge at the same rate when charging at destination charging locations, home, or any not-Supercharger charging. The 100 would be faster at Superchargers.
Thanks for the clarification. I was not aware they changed the internal AC charger. Our X was a September 2018 delivery so maybe we got lucky on the high power charger.

We chose the 75D because of the price difference. I spent the money on Autopilot instead, which is a must. We’ve been very happy with the 75. Take it outside the city 6-8 times a year, haven’t done any cross-country trips so the extra range wasn’t a necessity for us. But I would feel totally comfortable taking the 75 cross country. We drive into the mountains, go camping, drive from Seattle to Portland, it hasn’t been a limiting factor for us.