Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X on a Penske/Uhaul car carrier

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone here have experience transporting a Model X on a Penske or Uhaul car carrier. When I speak to reps for both companies they say that the carrier will hold the weight of the car even though it is much higher than the max capacity listed online.

I’m moving cross country and need to decide whether to tow it behind the moving truck or use a shipping service.

If you use a shipping service, make sure you use a reputable company. Look at their online reviews. We just shipped a brand new Volvo from FL to NY and the company we used trashed the interior of the car! Grease on the seats, pen marks on the door panels, grime on the orange leather remote. The whole thing was A MESS!

Two things: stability and liability. If you put a 5700 pound car on a 2100 pound trailer, you'd better be towing it with something that weighs at least 6250, and I'd sure prefer that it weigh more than 8000. You have no latitude to reposition the load on those trailers (front wheel straps are for one spot only) so you're stuck with the tongue weight you get, whether good or bad. And if you wreck, you'll be in the spotlight of liability because you exceeded the ratings; this forum post could be used against you as proof that you knew you were beyond the specs.

That said, I agree that the U-Haul trailer can handle it.

Reactions: VikH
Two things: stability and liability. If you put a 5700 pound car on a 2100 pound trailer, you'd better be towing it with something that weighs at least 6250, and I'd sure prefer that it weigh more than 8000. You have no latitude to reposition the load on those trailers (front wheel straps are for one spot only) so you're stuck with the tongue weight you get, whether good or bad. And if you wreck, you'll be in the spotlight of liability because you exceeded the ratings; this forum post could be used against you as proof that you knew you were beyond the specs.

That said, I agree that the U-Haul trailer can handle it.
If that's the case, then the Uhaul 26 foot weights 26,000 pounds, before any furniture. So I think I should be good to go then. I have a model S too, so I just need to decide which to ship and which to put on the car carrier. Based on the advice I may just go with the Model S on the carrier, and ship the X.

If that's the case, then the Uhaul 26 foot weights 26,000 pounds, before any furniture. So I think I should be good to go then. I have a model S too, so I just need to decide which to ship and which to put on the car carrier. Based on the advice I may just go with the Model S on the carrier, and ship the X.
Not so fast. Gross vehicle weight rating is 25,999 on the JH. Empty weight is 12,990, max load is 9,010, max towing capacity is 7,500. Towing capacity is going to come up just a bit shy by 400-600 pounds.

I’ve towed a Model X 2000 miles across the US last summer on a Uhaul trailer. We began with pulling it behind a Ram 1500. I definitely DO NOT recommend this. At any speed above 45mph, stability became a major issue. We then switched to pulling it behind the loaded 26’ moving truck. Had no further issues for the rest of the trip, but were definitely pushing max gross weight.

I’ve towed a Model X 2000 miles across the US last summer on a Uhaul trailer. We began with pulling it behind a Ram 1500. I definitely DO NOT recommend this. At any speed above 45mph, stability became a major issue. We then switched to pulling it behind the loaded 26’ moving truck. Had no further issues for the rest of the trip, but were definitely pushing max gross weight.
Thanks for the insight! So you still had trouble pulling it behind the 26 Ft truck?