Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X on E-BAY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just came across this listing. Looks like one of the original "founders" is attempting to take advantage of his good fortune, being one of the first to get a Model X delivered. Appears to be his intention all along as he parked it with 25 miles on the odometer and it hasn't moved since. The catch, he's asking $175,000. Being that it's now a used car, that means the buyer won't get the tax credit, so the seller is looking to pocket a $35,000 profit plus another $10,000 or so in federal and state rebates!

Will be interesting to see if anyone out there truly can't wait a year to get theirs and pays $35,000 over sticker for this one??

Tesla Model X | eBay

I'm not surprised; happens every time. Someone will buy it. The question is what is the market price (premium). 35k + the loss of 7500-10k credits (depending on the buyer's state) seems like a lot. Bonnie sold sig2 for an undisclosed amount, but it sounds like it was a big number.

Another one just showed up. This one is listed as a Signature addition. This seller was smarter in doing an actual auction rather than the previously mentioned one having a "buy it now" price of $175,000. This one has a starting price at $150,000, so whatever it gets bid up to over the next six days will tell us what the "market value" of the Model X is. Starting price is fairly reasonable considering I think they're $140,000 from Tesla, so about a $20,000 mark up when considering the loss of tax credits. He does however have a reserve price. With one bid at $150,000, it says "reserve not met". But the high bid price, even if it doesn't reach the reserve set by the seller will still indicate how much it's worth to someone to not have to wait for one.

Tesla Model x Signature Edition | eBay

Thought his item description interesting and honest-sounding

"This is a brand new, Silver, Tesla Model X, Signature Edition with every available option including Ludicrous Mode (0 to 60 in 3.2 sec).

One of the photos shows the purchase order for $144,200 (and this is before sales tax). The reserve price has been set to equal what I paid including sales tax.

I already have an Model S with Ludicrous Mode (0 to 60 in 2.8). Having driven them both now, I prefer the Model S.

If you are trying to decide between an S or an X, I recommend not buying this X and getting the S instead. If you really want an SUV and 7 seats, feel welcome to buy this car. I wanted to try the X as soon as it was available and invite friends and coworkers to check it out as well. That has been accomplished. Now it's ready for someone else to own."

Here in ATL, since Tesla's are actually indicated "sold" in California and delivered in Georgia, Tesla does not register the car. The buyer must do so. The buyer receives the Manufacturers Certificate -- NO TITLE and Manufacturer's Bill of Sale. In order to gain a Title, the buyer MUST register the car. I would think it difficult to sell a car without a State Title. I am not sure whether the Manufacturer's Certificate indicates the buyer, and therefore whether the buyers must register and title the car in order to re-sell. Hopefully, will know in a couple of months!!

At any rate, it may be a challenge to sell a new, never titled, unregistered vehicle. Thus the difficulty of someone selling their new Tesla (many threads) soon after delivery. No tax credit, taxes paid, would have to pay cash to eliminate a lien, all causing difficulty for the buyer and premium pricing. That said, there are people selling scarce "Air-Jordan's" for $2000 bucks.... anything is possible.

Here in ATL, since Tesla's are actually indicated "sold" in California and delivered in Georgia, Tesla does not register the car. The buyer must do so. The buyer receives the Manufacturers Certificate -- NO TITLE and Manufacturer's Bill of Sale. In order to gain a Title, the buyer MUST register the car. I would think it difficult to sell a car without a State Title. I am not sure whether the Manufacturer's Certificate indicates the buyer, and therefore whether the buyers must register and title the car in order to re-sell. Hopefully, will know in a couple of months!!

At any rate, it may be a challenge to sell a new, never titled, unregistered vehicle. Thus the difficulty of someone selling their new Tesla (many threads) soon after delivery. No tax credit, taxes paid, would have to pay cash to eliminate a lien, all causing difficulty for the buyer and premium pricing. That said, there are people selling scarce "Air-Jordan's" for $2000 bucks.... anything is possible.
I believe both of these are being sold as used so the original buyer (the person selling the car now) will get the $7500 Federal Tax credit. Any buyer of this car would not be eligible for the Federal tax credit for EVs. Though I believe some states have a separate tax incentive for buyers of used EVs.

As for sales tax, the buyer would have to deal with whatever the laws are in their state. In my state, the amount of tax paid depends on the bill of sale form that is filled out by buyer and seller. If the bill of sale says you paid $1 for a car, you'd pay about 8.37 cents in tax. But I'm guessing the Model X will sell for a bit more than that.

And when I saw the thread, I just assumed it was this friendly person:

Model X Delivery Update - Page 5

But his was/is black and he's not in Texas.

Is it weird that both of these Model Xes for sale are in Austin, Texas?

As for sales tax, the buyer would have to deal with whatever the laws are in their state.

But in states where I've registered cars in the past, they collect sales tax when you go to register the car. If I buy a new Model X like the ebay seller (again, depending on their state), I'd think it's possible to sell it prior to titling/registering the car and avoid paying sales tax. The seller would just hand over the dealer title document from Tesla to the buyer and they buyer would then title and register the car in their state.

But in states where I've registered cars in the past, they collect sales tax when you go to register the car. If I buy a new Model X like the ebay seller (again, depending on their state), I'd think it's possible to sell it prior to titling/registering the car and avoid paying sales tax. The seller would just hand over the dealer title document from Tesla to the buyer and they buyer would then title and register the car in their state.
if that was possible it would probably be considered a new car

Yes, same in NY. But at least one of the sellers said he drove it around. So unless that was just on his driveway or other private property, then the car must have been registered.

if that was possible it would probably be considered a new car

Sure, but there's still nothing stopping the original buyer from also taking the Federal tax credits, either. Also, probably the ebay seller isn't licensed to sell new cars with lemon laws, et so he has to sell it as "used".

Yes, same in NY. But at least one of the sellers said he drove it around. So unless that was just on his driveway or other private property, then the car must have been registered.

Temp tags from Tesla, like they always do. I bought a BMW Z4 from a dealer in PA who put on PA temp tags so I could drive it home. He didn't know/care if I was going to register it in my home state.

Just came across this listing. Looks like one of the original "founders" is attempting to take advantage of his good fortune, being one of the first to get a Model X delivered. Appears to be his intention all along as he parked it with 25 miles on the odometer and it hasn't moved since. The catch, he's asking $175,000. Being that it's now a used car, that means the buyer won't get the tax credit, so the seller is looking to pocket a $35,000 profit plus another $10,000 or so in federal and state rebates!

Will be interesting to see if anyone out there truly can't wait a year to get theirs and pays $35,000 over sticker for this one??

Tesla Model X | eBay

Looks like it sold.