Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the consensus on buying a used Model X? Need some advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently own a 2023 Model Y and in the market for a new car, because my wife wants my Y :confused:

One option is to keep my current and get her a Model 3, but we plan on having kids soon, so that may end up being a little too small. Another option is to get myself an X, but I'm struggling with buying a new X; just feel it's too much car for me since I mostly work from home with limited daily driving to run errands, and church on the weekends. Currently looking at a few used 2020's listed and seem more comfortable with the price point of the used ones.

Should I just suck it up and get a new one or is a used 2020 decent in today's market? For additional context, we can afford a new X, just don't think it's going to be utilized enough to justify.

Mine is a 2021 with verticle screen (prerefresh) not a 2020 but I test drove a couple of 20’s back then and they were excellent, I believe they all were Raven that year. I love the portrait screen compared to M3 screens I’ve had in loaners but that’s a personal choice. It’s not slow or laggy at all on the Intel chip I have, I’ve heard the Ryzen is equal or better.
If you like the chrome delete look you’ll have to pay for that on a 2020.

I'm 6'5". The 3 will be a little too low for me and legroom may be a bit of a challenge for anyone sitting behind me. I think I'll wait for Highland and convince my wife to get that.
Have you driven in the Model X? It sounds like a great fit for you in many way. The windshield is fantastic especially if you are tall. You don't have to worry about a sluggish vertical screen with the newer MCU2s that'd you'd have. We love our 2017 with the upgraded MCU2 and FSD computer.

Also getting kids in an out of the rear falcon wing doors is a great option. I'd get the 6 seater. One reason is that kids love to easily go between the rear captains chairs to sit in the 3rd row.

Reactions: explosive0
Have you driven in the Model X? It sounds like a great fit for you in many way. The windshield is fantastic especially if you are tall. You don't have to worry about a sluggish vertical screen with the newer MCU2s that'd you'd have. We love our 2017 with the upgraded MCU2 and FSD computer.

Also getting kids in an out of the rear falcon wing doors is a great option. I'd get the 6 seater. One reason is that kids love to easily go between the rear captains chairs to sit in the 3rd row.
I have not test driven one. Setup an appointment last week but they apparently had just sold their demo and were prepping another one.

Can you justify the extra cost? 3rd party extended warranty is available. I say get it when you need it. Think, all the 23 and 24 model years in 3 years will be a great buy. The Y is better designed but smaller and less opulent vehicle. What else can you do with the savings , vacation, college fund, rainy day fund? Extra lotto tickets. We are a family of 7 with a six seater. It covers 89% of daily driving for us.

Is there a way of telling of a 2021 is pre-refresh? There doesn't seem to too much of a price difference between used 2020 and 2021, and I believe the X was refreshed late 2021.
A 2021 prerefresh is the same as a 2020. The phone charger being wireless on the prerefresh is the only difference I know. They were produced in Nov and Dec 2020.
The 2021+ Refresh MX started production fall of 2021 and has landscape screen, yoke, different lights, 3rd motor on Plaid, chrome delete, etc.
They don’t call it Raven suspension on 2021+ but AFAIK it’s the same adaptive air.

Is there a way of telling of a 2021 is pre-refresh? There doesn't seem to too much of a price difference between used 2020 and 2021, and I believe the X was refreshed late 2021.
Easy tell outside is the front bumper and fog lights.....inside is the horizontal screen.

TONS of goodies on the refresh, both cosmetic and functional, check here 👇 Newest change is the Matrix LED headlights on all production since June/July 2023.

Most important when having a kid or soon to have a kid is the trunk space.
To me it comes down to either Y or X. Either would be great. If money is not the issue. Based X 5 seater and get that Fed credit if qualified.
Why X? A little more space, cool doors, performance, air suspension, seats, dash, etc. I feel it's worth the extra money over say a Y performance.
If money is a concern, the Y is great for all it's got. Again, any kid, trunk space is key.

Reactions: NJturtlePower
If you can qualify for the $7,500 tax credit, or other Utility/State credits, generally will do better buying a new Tesla.

If not, then a 2020 Raven X is an awsome car. Adaptive air suspension, multiple seating options, relatively quick charging, long range, lots of power, great handling, and a smooth quiet ride. Comes with conventional steering wheel, turn signal stalks and gear/autopilot selector.

If you are used to a new Y you won’t like the pre refresh X. It doesn’t have an amazing number of the same features. 2022 was the refresh that brought the X to the same feature set. Not that the others are bad, but it was the legacy tesla setup before things like rfid key cards, phone as a key, etc. teslatap has a good comparison list you should see.

Reactions: NJturtlePower
Just my 2c, if space is your main purchase factor, I wouldn't buy the X unless you need seating for more than 4. The space in a 3 or Y is (as you know) quite sufficient for a small family. The X does give you more, but it's a very complex car and the car does generally seem to have more issues than the 3 or Y due to its complexity - particularly with a small number of high tech bits, like the FWDs. I'd think twice about owning one out of warranty, but then I'm just very risk averse. Most will have no issues. Personally, I'm not as much of a fan of the pre-refresh S or X, but some of that is subjective. They are fine vehicles.

If space is not your primary concern and you're looking for the refinement, quiet ride, comfort, and features of the X, then by all means, it's a much better car all around than the 3/Y.

One tip: I'm not sure if Tesla offers a first party extended warranty themselves, but if you're considering a third party for an extended warranty, be very careful. I've had third party warranties before - even the highly rated ones - and found that most significant repairs were either not covered or they weaseled out of paying for part of them, or repairs were small enough that I couldn't justify them with the deductible. I had to threaten to sue one company that tried to deny a turbocharger repair on my old Audi S4 (a known issue costing >$5k to repair, and the entire reason why I was paying for the warranty) for them to even talk about a partial payment. Their grounds for denial? "The turbochargers and related systems are wear items, and thus are considered excluded parts under the terms of the policy." Complete load of BS. I'll never do another aftermarket policy.

Reactions: explosive0