Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Order - Frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in NYC and looking to order a Model X inventory car and Friend of mine recommended a Tesla Advisor in CA who helped him for the past 3 Tesla. Everything went pretty good in day 1 and 2. Tesla Advisor found me a inventory Model X P100D Ludicrous Mode, Six Seaters with 2400 mileage Black and Black with 20” Carbon Wheel with the build price ~$129,500.00. He told me Tesla will able to remove the Ludicrous mode and since it is demo car, the final price will be discounted at ~$87,000.00

We agreed the price and placed the order with $2,500.00. Once i placed the order and few hours later, he told me that Tesla not able to remove the Ludicrous mode in the demo car and they are not able to sell me this Model X. After a while, he found me another inventory car with similar spec but 22” wheel for final price ~$100,000 (again Tesla said they could remove the Ludicrous mode and save me $20,000).

I accepted the change next day and seen the order updated in my Tesla account. The price did adjusted to $20,000.00 less with Ludicrous mode removed. however i have issue with the “Trade in”. I am not able to complete the trade in option via the Tesla account which shown “ no vehicle trade in request”. Emailed, texted and called the Advisor without any luck. Emailed Tesla and someone called me back and ask me for the VIN.

I have provided my 2018 BMW M3 VIN and told him the additional upgrade on my M3 and low mileage 5000 for additional trade in value. the rep said i can update the information on the Tesla Account myself. I logged in and didn’t see the option for me to update any condition of my BMW M3 but only asked me to accept the value. I texted and call the Rep and no feedbacks. I went to the local Tesla and asked the question and the Sales said they will connect me with my original Tesla Advisor and call me back.

Few hours later, Store manager from the Tesla where i will pick up my Model X called me and told me that Tesla trade in is an convenience services for customer and may not be a good value. suggested me to trade with other dealers. I was very upset , why I have to order the Model X if you guy doesn’t even appraise my trade in correctly. in addition, he told me that the Model X i ordered is in transit from Texas and take few weeks which is fine and i understand. But he said there is additional $2,000 transportation costs. I was shocked and said it is never been agreed and not even listed on my sales agreement.

At this moment, i am considering just cancel the Order. Thanks for reading the long post.

Don’t trade your car to Tesla. The advisor is right to tell you that it may not be a good value. Tesla does not handle trades themselves or deal with the cars, they do it as a service and essentially broker your trade to another party. You’ll get a good 5~10% more just selling it to CarMax or similar.

As for the transport costs, the initial advisor screwed up and didn’t include transport fees. I think because of the screw up they should at least offer to meet you half way or something, but you’ll have transport costs any time they need to bring the CPO vehicle to your local delivery location. Typically if it’s within 200 miles or so they won’t charge you since they can send someone to drive the car and bring something else back the other way.

If you’re getting a fully loaded P model without Ludicrous, wouldn’t it make more sense to just order a new one? You’ll get the tax incentives and it will arrive with the latest AP/FSD hardware, all new suspension and axle design, better motors/range, etc..? Assuming you can take full advantage of the tax incentives, the cost differential shouldn’t be much compared to the CPO one you’ve picked and you’ll have all the latest upgrades that go into production this week.

Don’t trade your car to Tesla. The advisor is right to tell you that it may not be a good value. Tesla does not handle trades themselves or deal with the cars, they do it as a service and essentially broker your trade to another party. You’ll get a good 5~10% more just selling it to CarMax or similar.

As for the transport costs, the initial advisor screwed up and didn’t include transport fees. I think because of the screw up they should at least offer to meet you half way or something, but you’ll have transport costs any time they need to bring the CPO vehicle to your local delivery location. Typically if it’s within 200 miles or so they won’t charge you since they can send someone to drive the car and bring something else back the other way.

If you’re getting a fully loaded P model without Ludicrous, wouldn’t it make more sense to just order a new one? You’ll get the tax incentives and it will arrive with the latest AP/FSD hardware, all new suspension and axle design, better motors/range, etc..? Assuming you can take full advantage of the tax incentives, the cost differential shouldn’t be much compared to the CPO one you’ve picked and you’ll have all the latest upgrades that go into production this week.

Thanks for the advise. I could save up Sales Tax by trade in with Tesla. Yes I am considering just cancel and order new range instead.

Reactions: forkee
So final price is $100k minus $20k for luda for $80k final? For P100D sounds amazing for half the original preprice cut $158k mrsp. Trade the m3 to carmax or some online service if you need quick a quick sale, i still have my bmw f80, and i paid almost double for my p100d just 5 months ago before tesla slashed prices and devalued my p100d by $43k pre refresh, then maybe another $20k devalue post refresh. So lesson here , if you dont want the refreshed more efficient drive train, then keep the inventory order as the depreciation was on tesla and not you and trade the m3 to another dealer.

So final price is $100k minus $20k for luda for $80k final? For P100D sounds amazing for half the original preprice cut $158k mrsp. Trade the m3 to carmax or some online service if you need quick a quick sale, i still have my bmw f80, and i paid almost double for my p100d just 5 months ago before tesla slashed prices and devalued my p100d by $43k pre refresh, then maybe another $20k devalue post refresh. So lesson here , if you dont want the refreshed more efficient drive train, then keep the inventory order as the depreciation was on tesla and not you and trade the m3 to another dealer.
Final price after taking off Luda is $100k . Having resolved the additional transportation cost $2000 which not disclosed when placing ordered. Love my
BMW M3 but need a bigger size family car for new born. Wish I could keep both cars but have limited parking space.

Congrats on the baby! Parking is definitely an issue for me now as well, constantly shuffling the M3 , Model 3 , S2000 and Model X around the garage and driveway. I need to let one car go as well, just tough to decide which.

Last I check you can get the refresh fully loaded FSD P100D without Luda and updated drivetrain for $122.5k 6 seat config. But at over $20k discount from current new pricing, I would be hard press to say no to the $100k demo

i do not recommend carmax for trading in. they offered me 3k less than Tesla (on a '07 convertible) when I was getting my 3. I ended up trading it in to 3rd party dealership (for less than what Tesla offered) when getting the wife's X. Then, when i was getting my X, they offered me 12k less than Tesla on the 3 I had gotten the previous year.

As for your situation, I would drop that whole mess and just start again. It seems like nobody knows what's going on in that scenario. $2k transportation fee is standard, unless you want to pick it up. they might not have disclosed it, but I don't think they will drop it. used and new inventory (and demo cars) come and go all the time. if you have the patience, it shouldn't take long for the right one to pop up with all the features you want at the price you want.

good luck

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
I really wish they'd learn from their mistakes... I watched RichRebuilds on youtube experience buying a Model X (used) and was hesitant to purchase with Tesla.. Just ordered a new model x (2018 showroom)... sales guy calls me when I've completed everything to tell me about the condition of the car--the seats are severely worn. it's got 60 miles on it... apparently a billion people have sat in it and wore it out. I started my own thread, but I feel your pain. Hoping someone has some good contacts for Tesla higher ups that will fix this.