Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - Trade In - wheels/mudflaps/etc?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
I'm told Tesla is picky about tesla trade ins.

I have great Tsportline wheels on my X. and am 90% sure I need to swap back to the OEM wheels for trade in.

Will they try to 'ding' me for the pirelli tires? vs. the 'OEM' ones?

Will they try to ding me for mud flaps? should I take them off?
mycar.jpg

thanks!

I'm told Tesla is picky about tesla trade ins.

I have great Tsportline wheels on my X. and am 90% sure I need to swap back to the OEM wheels for trade in.

Will they try to 'ding' me for the pirelli tires? vs. the 'OEM' ones?

Will they try to ding me for mud flaps? should I take them off?
View attachment 972672

thanks!
I doubt they'd ding you but as others mention probably best to swap back OEM given these look worth more for resale. I'd ask to buy them if those are all seasons, would fit my 2023 Plaid S and lived closer to PA (I do drive near Philly suburbs probably for Thanksgiving and Christmas but thats a bit of a stretch)...

FYI, I traded a 2022 Taycan 4S and they DID NOT EVEN WALK OUT TO LOOK AT THE CAR until all the titles were transferred etc (a bit insulting as my Taycan 4S was in brand new shape and cleaner than the Plaid S I was trading it in for)... They only looked at the 5 photos I added at https://www.tesla.com/tradein to do the trade in estimate... I don't recall if that site asked about OEM wheels/tires but it might have. They did give me a slightly low trade but I saved the difference in taxes so it was about as much after taxes as I'd get elsewhere.

The Taycan was a way better handling and looking car with much better build quality, but just not even as quick as my 2018 Tesla Model 3 AWD+ and I really didn't like the 2 speed transmission AT ALL not to mention short range and crap Electrify America charging network for long trips. I traded it for the Plaid S after Tesla dropped the price by $30k from peak... Clearly I should have waited another 5 months as they've since dropped the price another $15k :(

I REALLY want to get another car that isn't Tesla, but my wife doesn't like BMW/Audi/Kia/Hyundai/Mercedes/Genesis/VW, and I'm not getting another Taycan until they make it quicker (without having to splurge for the too-brutal Turbo S), without a 2 speed tranny, and longer range...

Upvote 0
I had (have, until my MXP arrives) aftermarket wheels on my MS, and initially submitted a trade in request using photos with it as-is. I called one of the SAs to see if that would make a difference since I recall they dinged me $500 when I traded my M3P for my MS for removing the T logo. SA confirmed that non-OEM wheels would affect the quote, but we didn't discuss the tires. I wouldn't imagine that would matter. I told them to pull the quote since the offer is final if received. I'll put my Arachnids back on if I bother requesting another quote.

I'll probably end up selling my MS privately though. The quote the automated system gave me was low even factoring the tax break, and an actual quote for my VIN with photos is probably only going to be lower.

Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
Upvote 0