Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Price Graph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was curious if anyone has logged the versions of the X and plotted the prices on a chart? I was talking to someone that wanted to purchase one and they were curious of the price trend for the X.

The overall price of a Model X has gone up. But, you’re getting more for your money now.

For example, the cheapest Model X now is $86,000. It’s more expensive than the first base model X at $75,000; which was also eligible for a $1,000 referral credit and a $7500 tax rebate for a total of $66,500.

So on the surface a base model X is nearly $20,000 more expensive. But, the battery is obviously much larger. “Leather” is standard. Upgraded audio is standard. Tow package is standard. Lighting package is standard. Subzero package standard - heated steering wheel, rear heated seats. Autopilot standard.

Hmm, interesting, I was going to say the exact opposite. It's true that the minimum cost of getting into any Model X has gone up, but this is not because the price of the car has increased, but that they don't offer a base model anymore. I had a 2016 P90DL which cost about 150k fully loaded. I now have a 2019 "Long range" which has almost as quick acceleration (1 second slower to 60mph), 325 mile range vs. 250, new adaptive suspension, all new autopilot and sensor hardware, numerous other small improvements that from any other auto manufacturer are equivalent to at least two major model refreshes in my opinion, which usually takes 15 years, and the cost of the vehicle was only 90k. So massively cheaper AND massively better.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
I had a 2016 P90DL which cost about 150k fully loaded.

It shows you just how poor value buying the top spec car is in any situation....

In contrast our 6 seater base spec 60D 2016 car was £71k invoice in the UK with heated seats/steering wheel, currently the same spec is £91k. Most of the 'free' extra you listed costs Tesla sub $1000 in material costs. Infact I've added an HEPA filter and better speakers for sub $500.

Range is clearly more, but to pay £20k more around 100 miles more rated range is £200/mile, that's alot of cash to pay unless your using that extra 100 mile range every day, which we don't.

Bare in mind Tesla has told us their costs are getting cheaper, the X should be starting at £55-60k max these days, not £80k.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
The overall price of a Model X has gone up. But, you’re getting more for your money now.

For example, the cheapest Model X now is $86,000. It’s more expensive than the first base model X at $75,000; which was also eligible for a $1,000 referral credit and a $7500 tax rebate for a total of $66,500.

So on the surface a base model X is nearly $20,000 9more expensive. But, the battery is obviously much larger. “Leather” is standard. Upgraded audio is standard. Tow package is standard. Lighting package is standard. Subzero package standard - heated steering wheel, rear heated seats. Autopilot standard.
I have a 2019 Raven...what is the SUB ZERO pkg? Why is auto pilot anything more than the normal Cruise Control?

I have a 2019 Raven...what is the SUB ZERO pkg? Why is auto pilot anything more than the normal Cruise Control?

Oh newbies. Back in the day........

Subzero package was a $1000 option back in the day. It added windshield wiper defrosters, heated washer nozzles, heated rear seats, heated steering wheel. Now it’s standard.

Your raven came with autopilot standard. That means regular cruise control isn’t available anymore, but it was back then.

Back then if you didn’t buy autopilot for $2500, your car would not sense traffic. All it did was set speed, it wouldn’t keep lane, it wouldn’t steer, there was no automatic braking, it would gladly run into he car in front of you if you set your speed too high.

Then there was Enhanced Autopilot for $5,000. Plus an additional $3000 more for full self driving if you wanted it later on.

So let’s say you wanted to build a base Model X back then with the standard options today.

Model X 60D (200 miles range, 0-60 in 6.0s) - $74,000 base
Autopilot - $2500
Smart Air Suspension - $2500 (Despite never having anything else)
Premium Interior - $4500 (Textile/cloth was standard)
Ultra High Fidelity Sound - $2500
Tow package - $750
Subzero package - $1000

Price: $87,750

Current Raven base: $84,490
(328 miles, 0-60 4.4s)

If you wanted to do that as a 90D (257mi range, 0-60 in 4.9s) You would add about $20,000 to the base price to go from a 60D to a 90D. Which would probably be a more fair comparison.

So base then vs base now with zero options. It was cheaper then. But that’s only because you could get it with nothing.

Like for like, its cheaper now. You can essentially buy a $110,000 car for $85,000 today

Oh newbies. Back in the day........

Subzero package was a $1000 option back in the day. It added windshield wiper defrosters, heated washer nozzles, heated rear seats, heated steering wheel. Now it’s standard.

Your raven came with autopilot standard. That means regular cruise control isn’t available anymore, but it was back then.

Back then if you didn’t buy autopilot for $2500, your car would not sense traffic. All it did was set speed, it wouldn’t keep lane, it wouldn’t steer, there was no automatic braking, it would gladly run into he car in front of you if you set your speed too high.

Then there was Enhanced Autopilot for $5,000. Plus an additional $3000 more for full self driving if you wanted it later on.

So let’s say you wanted to build a base Model X back then with the standard options today.

Model X 60D (200 miles range, 0-60 in 6.0s) - $74,000 base
Autopilot - $2500
Smart Air Suspension - $2500 (Despite never having anything else)
Tow package - $750
Subzero package - $1000

Price: $87,750

Current Raven base: $84,490
(328 miles, 0-60 4.4s)

If you wanted to do that as a 90D (257mi range, 0-60 in 4.9s) You would add about $20,000 to the base price to go from a 60D to a 90D. Which would probably be a more fair comparison.

So base then vs base now with zero options. It was cheaper then. But that’s only because you could get it with nothing.

Like for like, its cheaper now. You can essentially buy a $110,000 car for $85,000 today
thanks appreciate the info & it is very helpful! Never understood the Sub Zero thing ;)

Tow package - $750
Subzero package - $1000

Leather was extra regardless and 6 seater white was cheaper than 6 cheaper white now.

All that stuff you listed costs Tesla about $500 in materials, our X with sub $500 after market speakers sounds better than a car with 'premium' audio.

Tesla was essentially laughing all the way to the bank for people who ticked every options box, hence you get people who ended paying $120k+ for a car that is actually the same as the base $65k version expect for the battery.

As a X may be in my future as well, the price trends for the 3 are very apparent once they are plotted.
208814EB-6E42-42EE-B329-2C130F4E9869.png

Leather was extra regardless and 6 seater white was cheaper than 6 cheaper white now.

All that stuff you listed costs Tesla about $500 in materials, our X with sub $500 after market speakers sounds better than a car with 'premium' audio.

Tesla was essentially laughing all the way to the bank for people who ticked every options box, hence you get people who ended paying $120k+ for a car that is actually the same as the base $65k version expect for the battery.

Today you can get black leather included as standard. It's only an option if you want to upgrade to white or cream. Back then, any leather was an option. There are a number of Model X's running around with textile seats. So it wasn't a fake option like the air suspension.

Current Model X is an amazing value. Compared to most other SUVs of comparable performance it is very well priced, and well equipped.

Back story for me was all the amazing rebates you get off the delivered price. Got $2,500 back from California, $1,800 Federal Tax Credit, $1,000 from SCE. 400 back for home charger, and amazingly enough, $38,000 in Tax benefits thanks to Section 179 deductions.

Turns out that it has cost me less than if I were to buy a Model 3, let along a high performance SUV from Mercedes, BMW, Porsche etc.

Depreciation, tax rebates, refunds and income tax benefits will differ for every individual, but for me it has been the no brainer purchase.

Never spent any repair, service or fuel $ since my first 2017. Remarkable compared to any of the other SUVs I was considering.

Unlimited Supercharging for life has been the cherry on top.

Many of the first buyers were pretty elite. Many owned their own companies, and their Tesla was just another business expense. Elon thanked S/X/Roadster owners many times, that they were the ones that were providing the capital to launch the next generation.
Coupe money went to finance development of Model S...Model S profits were used to develop the Model X and Model X money went into making the Model 3 profitable.

These pioneers paid a premium, that was used to make the company successful and viable well into the future.

Hard pill to swallow is that those buying fully optioned, top of the line models, are now experiencing the most depreciation, but it seem as if that is the way of things, not only at Tesla.

Porsche is similar. They said that they had to develop 4 door saloons and SUVs to get the money to make possible the development of water cooled 911s. Without the expensive sedans and SUVs they would still only be able to make Air Cooled 911s.

Reactions: gangzoom
Hard pill to swallow is that those buying fully optioned, top of the line models, are now experiencing the most depreciation, but it seem as if that is the way of things, not only at Tesla.

100% correct, when ordering our X I remember people doing man maths ticking every options box because on the basis they would get more return when it came to resale. A fully optioned P90D L X clearly sells more now than our 60D X, but not any where near the new price differential.

If you want the 'best value' car, always buy the base spec. Tesla base spec isn't even that basic,