Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Tesla Model X P90D - What are your experiences? (Advice on purchasing used Model X)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I'm contemplating purchasing a 2017 Model X P90D that has logged around 80,000 km. I would appreciate hearing about your experiences with this specific model, especially from those who have dealt with high mileage.

The warranty is nearing its end, and I am concerned about potential hidden costs. Are there common issues I should be aware of? Also, since I’m buying it from the original owner, are there particular questions I should ask or specific things to check before finalizing the purchase?

Thanks in advance for your insights!

my 2016 90d just rolled over 100k miles (owned since 77k) so 80km is not much
i have no major issues besides leaking MCU1 screens
Check for coolant leak in LDU or if bypass was done, thats the biggest issue with drivetrain
Some claim issues with FWD, i got zero.
Inner rear tire wear is also a factory problem

Get pdfs of all repairs done cause Tesla won't share with u

Reactions: Jayskywalker21
Upvote 0
my 2016 90d just rolled over 100k miles (owned since 77k) so 80km is not much
i have no major issues besides leaking MCU1 screens
Check for coolant leak in LDU or if bypass was done, thats the biggest issue with drivetrain
Some claim issues with FWD, i got zero.
Inner rear tire wear is also a factory problem

Get pdfs of all repairs done cause Tesla won't share with u
Thanks for the quick reply! I just received the PDFs of all the repairs.

I'm going for a test drive this Saturday... Will check for everything you mentioned :)

Upvote 0
P90D X is awesome, mine has 90K miles on it. I love the windshield view, the speed and power, the FSD, and the large cargo space.
But you shouldn't buy a P90D. You should buy a P100D with higher miles instead.
There are a lot of issues with P90D X:
- Range is low (225 EPA miles on 7 year old battery), and slow supercharging on road trips.
- Battery and motors warranty are about to expire for all 2016s, and all 2017s next year. Very expensive replacements if those are needed.
- Air conditioning system might break and need replacement. Mine did around 75K miles.
- 2nd row seat problems in 6 seater. One had a tilt motor break, the other had an airbag fault that required replacing the entire seat.
- 2nd row doesn't fold flat, unless you get the 5 seater, or the 7 seater built after August 2017.
- Large Drive Unit (Performance S and X) are known for failures. Mine is OK so far.
- Accelerated rear inner tire wear (fixed by driving in Standard suspension height) and front axle half shaft problems (grinding noise, fixed by driving in Low suspension height). I resolved these issues by getting an N2itive Alignment Kit with adjustable camber and toe arms.
- Leather seats (black or tan) in Teslas built prior to August 2017 might be cracked and creased. Note that real leather seats in Teslas ended after August 2017.

In your price range (2017 P90D X), here are some recommendations:
2024 Model 3 Performance - Quiet cabin at highway speeds, 8 years of battery/motors warranty, VERY fast supercharging, very efficient car.
Any Model Y - I can't recommend this because of the bumpy suspension, loud cabin at highway speeds, and super bland interior.
2020 Model S Raven LR - More reliable and quieter cabin than the X, nice adaptive air suspension, 4 more years battery warranty, but I can't recommend this because I don't like the view out the front windshield, it's too small of a view. The S is the only Tesla with that problem.
2018 Model X 100D - it's too slow at all speeds, when compared to P90D.
2018 Model X P100D - This is the one you should buy, for longer battery warranty, higher range, faster supercharging, vegan seats, MCU2. Good luck!

Upvote 0