Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Prototype still on display at Hawthorne?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andrew

Supporting Member
Mar 11, 2013
Santa Monica, CA
A couple of months ago, I was at the Hawthorne Supercharger and could see there was a Model X prototype in the Tesla office lobby. Since it was Sunday, we couldn't go inside to get a good look at it.

Thinking of heading back down there with my parents, who have a reservation on the X. Does anyone know if it's still on display there?

(Sidenote: My mom called the main Tesla number, and they said that it's no longer on display as they're entering production at the end of this year. Considering the second half of that sentence doesn't sound quite right, I'm not so convinced at the first half! Hoping for some better recon from TMC folks...Thanks!)

Entering production could simply refer to the components with the longest lead time. I have little idea what that could be but I know from my manufacturing days that some production dates are surprisingly early. If summer 2014 is still slated for Founders (if there would be such a thing) and/or Sigs I can well imagine that there might be certain components with >6 months lead time.

Attachments

• IMG_2380.jpg
    IMG_2380.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 701
I had a look at it in early February, and if the same one is still there, it's just a mock-up. Basically an exterior with very darkly tinted windows, so it's hard to tell that the interior is carved out of foam or something.

The Telsa employee I talked to told me that there was only one drivable prototype, which is the one they had at the unveiling.

Andrew;353753d said:
(Sidenote: My mom called the main Tesla number, and they said that it's no longer on display as they're entering production at the end of this year. Considering the second half of that sentence doesn't sound quite right, I'm not so convinced at the first half! Hoping for some better recon from TMC folks...Thanks!)

somebody help me understand how those two things are even related. Entering production -therefore- not on display?
AND Andrew, you win for closest to Hawthorne (I lived in Torrance long ago) so I'm hoping that you will go check it out & then tell US! :smile: It's the White one, right? Need more photos to drool at. ML

Here's a pic I took when I was there for a test drive event a few months ago. It's really just the body, there is no interior to speak of, doors don't open, etc.

I drive by here every day on the 105, I'll try to stop in and take a peek :)

857044_4916358759321_854454741_o.jpg

I looked, Really Searched, for a thread that I saw recently w lots of photos from Hawthorne. Cannot find it again. :cursing:
They had dropped by the supercharger on a Sunday & said an employee gave them an impromptu little tour,
SpaceX too.
Good photos, one of that Model X (that's just a shell). Looks sooo nice.

Anyone know where it is? Link? Thanks. ML

I looked, Really Searched, for a thread that I saw recently w lots of photos from Hawthorne. Cannot find it again. :cursing:
They had dropped by the supercharger on a Sunday & said an employee gave them an impromptu little tour,
SpaceX too.
Good photos, one of that Model X (that's just a shell). Looks sooo nice.

Anyone know where it is? Link? Thanks. ML

I think you're thinking of this one: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...-BMW-M3-sedan-(and-everything-else-out-there)? I'd thought the pictures were properly sized when I first saw that thread.