Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X randomly stopped working and had to be towed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 Model X w/ 14k miles on it. Has been working great until this afternoon. After driving to the store and parking the car, I noticed that the falcon doors wouldn't open. Got back to the driver's seat and noticed multiple errors including car needs service message, key fob not detected message(despite it being in my pocket), alert that the passenger door and trunk were open when they were closed. I couldn't turn on the car despite pressing on the brake. Tried the reset w/ pressing the 2 scrolls wheels which didn't help. Car was pretty much stuck there, unable to turn on. I called Tesla Roadside and they advised me to do the full power off for 4 minutes. After this, the car wouldn't turn on again (both screens black) until at least 10 minutes later despite pressing the brake, opening the doors, and pressing the scrolls wheels. At that point, a tow was called and the Model X is now sitting in Tesla's service garage. Anyone have any idea what may be wrong? I have a Model S w/ 105k miles and luckily have never had this issue. Also, luckily I was driving the X and not my wife (the X is her typical daily car). Hope they can fix the X quickly and I get it back soon. Currently stuck w/ a Ford rental car provided by Tesla.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: 1375mlm and cwerdna
Not recently. There was a message for a new update that showed up a few days ago but never got around to updating it.

Also not a good week for my S as my wife was driving it today and she has an open truck alert despite the trunk being closed. Trunk will no longer open at all. My high powered wall charger is not working as well for the last few days. I have a ranger coming out at the end of the week to look at the S and the wall charger.

Not a good week for my Teslas...

That sounds pretty scary! I'm a new owner of a MX and don't want to imagine this happening to me at any point. Please do let us know what the diagnosis is for your Teslas. Hope it's only a minor issue that can be set right soon!

I have a 2016 Model X w/ 14k miles on it. Has been working great until this afternoon. After driving to the store and parking the car, I noticed that the falcon doors wouldn't open. Got back to the driver's seat and noticed multiple errors including car needs service message, key fob not detected message(despite it being in my pocket), alert that the passenger door and trunk were open when they were closed. I couldn't turn on the car despite pressing on the brake. Tried the reset w/ pressing the 2 scrolls wheels which didn't help. Car was pretty much stuck there, unable to turn on. I called Tesla Roadside and they advised me to do the full power off for 4 minutes. After this, the car wouldn't turn on again (both screens black) until at least 10 minutes later despite pressing the brake, opening the doors, and pressing the scrolls wheels. At that point, a tow was called and the Model X is now sitting in Tesla's service garage. Anyone have any idea what may be wrong? I have a Model S w/ 105k miles and luckily have never had this issue. Also, luckily I was driving the X and not my wife (the X is her typical daily car). Hope they can fix the X quickly and I get it back soon. Currently stuck w/ a Ford rental car provided by Tesla.

I had the same issue with under 100 (15 days) miles on the car. Also on a quick run to the grocery store. They had me reboot the MCU and power cycle the car. Ended up towing it. And I walked home from the store, rather than wait 3 hours for the tow truck to show up (Bay Area weekday afternoon traffic). Glad I had not bought ice cream.

They never could figure exactly what was wrong, The diagnosis reads:

Concern: Customer states: Vehicle will not start and will not go into gear. Please inspect and advise.

Pay Type: Warranty

Corrections: Vehicle Alerts General Diagnosis
Technician downloaded and reviewed vehicle logs. Technician found multiple alerts as described. Technician found in a rare instance the drive rail remained on even though accessory rail turned off causing alerts. Technician performed 12 volt reset and found alerts are now gone. Technician verified vehicle operates as designed. Technician notes this is a extremely rare occurrence and should not happen again. Technician notes this specific circumstance is known and still under investigation.

In the end the tech disconnected the 12 V battery and reconnected it and everything came up. I am pretty sure he just un-plugged and plugged the 1st responder wire under the Frunk. So, the Tesla equivalent of pulling a computer's plug and plugging it back in.

I hope it's as simple as unplugging and replugging the 12v battery. Apparently the service center was too busy today so my car is still in the lot waiting to be looked at. They hope to look at it tmw. When I left it yesterday, the car was stuck with the lights on and screens inside on even with no one inside.

I hope this never happens again!

This weekend I also had my 2018 X100D 2k miles towed... First time I ever had an issue. I was on a road trip to Orlando, from Miami. Before heading back, I stopped by the supercharger on Sandlake Ln. When I tried to put the wand in the port, it wouldn't go in. I looked closely, and there was a latch up, which made it impossible for me to connect the wand. The latch is what keeps someone from removing the wand while charging and the car is locked.

I read other posts where people had the latch stuck in the locked position when charging at home, and couldn't remove the wand, but couldn't find any post where the latch was up with no wand inside.

I tried everything, reset, lock car, unlock, click on Unlock button below the Open Charge port, on both screen and phone. Nothing. Latch still up.

Called Tesla support. It was Sunday. It took 45 minutes for someone to pickup, which was not fun. Rep tried to walk me thru all the stuff I had done already, then I mentioned I had seen videos of a manual latch release. He said we could try that. Told me to look inside the trunk on the left side, saying there was a carpet cutout right at the height of the port. There was no cutout on the carpet in my car.

So, I removed the vent next to it, and proceeded to remove the carpet as much as I could from the panel. He told me to look for a small T-shaped lever attached to a cord, right below trunk light. It was not there. It took me 15 min to find it (it was lodged up in the frame). In any case, pulling on it did nothing. It moved the latch a bit, but not enough. At this time, rep told me he was going to arrange for a tow. As I knew that would take another hour (all this had taken 2 hours already), I mentioned I was in range distance from Tesla Orlando. Got there with 10 miles left. Dropped off the key with receptionist. He had an Uber ride to Enterprise rent-a-car ready for me and the car reserved, and that was that. Had to drive the rental back to Miami.

On Monday, they called, mentioned that they had changed the charging port, and had the car (washed) delivered on a tow truck back to me in Miami on Wednesday morning.

While being stuck on a road trip not able to charge was definitely not fun, and the wait time for customer support was definitely not a great thing, Tesla support was very helpful, and they arranged everything very efficiently so I could drive back home. Overall I was please with service given!