Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X roof panel fell off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This happened to my 2016 Model X 90D over the weekend. Made an appointment for 10/01 with Mobile Service. Mine is leaking, so I'm afraid it could be a problem with the weather in FL if I have to wait for a month for the part.

IMG_9720.jpeg

Thank for replying to my question. Now I know! It sure is a nice looking piece of plastic, it fooled me, and I regularly wash my car by hand and clean/dry the entire roof.
I know it isn't glass as someone who mounted their ham radio antenna through it said it wasn't. I just can't recall if he said it was metal or plastic.

Here it is:

Good news.. I took the trunk in for service earlier today. I had made an appointment through the app for Mobile Service for 10/1. Yesterday I get a call from Tesla telling me that I need bring the truck in as soon as possible, so they made me an appointment for today 9/27. I asked the person that called me if they had the part in stock and he said that they did. I'm pick the truck up tomorrow morning. Hopefully this won't happen again

This happened to my 2016 Model X 90D over the weekend. Made an appointment for 10/01 with Mobile Service. Mine is leaking, so I'm afraid it could be a problem with the weather in FL if I have to wait for a month for the part.

View attachment 458447

that’s wild! Sorry that happened to you too. Did it get fixed? Mobile wasn’t able to make the repair in my case. Still waiting for my appt... at least it rarely rains here.

Update:
The roof panel flew off on 9/21. The service appointment was set for 10/23. Today is 11/1 and the car is still in service. I got the notification yesterday that the car was ready for pickup, but when we opened the back hatch, it only opened halfway. They said, “That’s not normal right?” We said no, it had always opened fully. The falcon wings also only opened halfway, even when set to open fully. Needless to say, we didn’t pick up the car and they said they’ll send it back to diagnostics to determine what’s going on.

Update:
The roof panel flew off on 9/21. The service appointment was set for 10/23. Today is 11/1 and the car is still in service. I got the notification yesterday that the car was ready for pickup, but when we opened the back hatch, it only opened halfway. They said, “That’s not normal right?” We said no, it had always opened fully. The falcon wings also only opened halfway, even when set to open fully. Needless to say, we didn’t pick up the car and they said they’ll send it back to diagnostics to determine what’s going on.
They made you drive out to pick the car up, and will make you drive out a second time, because they didn't take 30 seconds to do a test? I used to live 2 hours away from the nearest SC (luckily a new SC just opened up 45 min from me) and I would've been pissed. They couldn't do the diag/fix right then and there?

They made you drive out to pick the car up, and will make you drive out a second time, because they didn't take 30 seconds to do a test? I used to live 2 hours away from the nearest SC (luckily a new SC just opened up 45 min from me) and I would've been pissed. They couldn't do the diag/fix right then and there?

So frustrating. Now the car is BACK with the SC because they left grease all over the white interior, caused some small tears in the perforated seats, and a line of sticky tar-like goo on the roof. They are detailing the car today. I love Tesla... but oh man the service is a nightmare.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
It just happened to me yesterday while my son and I were on the freeway. We heard a big thug and was scary. I pulled over the side and checked the roof and found two of the roof parts were missing. I couldn't believe that this could happen. Scary experience and my model x is just out of the warranty at 64k miles. Does anyone know this still covered or how much it cost?

Attachments

• 20200624_171026.jpg
    20200624_171026.jpg
    645.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 20200624_181108.jpg
    20200624_181108.jpg
    481.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Informative
Reactions: spectrum