Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X snow chains for French Alps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone recommend or have experience of snow chains and supplier for a Model X. I’ve seen the recommended Konig on Tesla US website. Also any top tips for the journey and time in the French Alps. This will be our first trip to Europe from London.
Thanks.

I know for the Model 3 Tesla make some very specific recommendations for chains in the manual. might be worth checking
This is what the M3 manual says
18" PEWAG SERVO SPORT RSS 76
19" PEWAG SERVO RS 77
20" MAGGI TRAK SP214
The problem with all Chains is they are such a pig to fit.
Have you Considered auto socks? They are approved as alternatives to chains in the French alps. I know they are not as durable but if its only for a week or 2 holiday they should easily last. You can always get 2 sets if worried. You may go the whole trip and never even use them. They are much much easier to fit and there are often a lot of very reasonable second hand unused sets on Ebay from when people change cars.
If cost is no object something like spikes spider are again much easier than chains to fit and work just as well.
Sites like roofbox.co.uk will give you vehicle specific recommendations

There was some talk about auto socks. Appears to remove the moisture giving the tire more firm snow to grab onto.
Tesla assistance for AutoSock on Model X

The way I understand it with the model X, there is not much room on front tires due to the control arm near the tire.
Are they recommended for the front? On the 3 the manual says to fit chains only to the rear.

Reactions: FairWeatherFan
I have the Tesla chains for my X, and have used them a bit. Work well, but make sure you read the instructions - not intuitive to install, at least to me. Getting the plastic nut cover off the wheel can be difficult. You want to practice or get a tool to help you before you are in the blizzard. Small slip joint pliers work if they are thin, or a pair of flat blade screw drivers.

Chains should always go on the rear wheels. Always. If installed on the front, the car is likely to spin out of control. If in tough conditions or on a front wheel drive car, one could put them on all four wheels, but never front only.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
Are you really expecting it to be that bad that you need chains? They’re bloody awful things, and when they’re not on strike the French have a much better handle on road clearing than we do in Britain, you’ll be forever kneeling in slush and grime taking them on and off when you get to clear tarmac.

Reactions: gglockner
Are you really expecting it to be that bad that you need chains? They’re bloody awful things, and when they’re not on strike the French have a much better handle on road clearing than we do in Britain, you’ll be forever kneeling in slush and grime taking them on and off when you get to clear tarmac.
Pretty sure they are a legal requirement and yes they are needed. They clear roads quickly but if you drive while it is snowing there can be significant build up very quickly

Chains should always go on the rear wheels. Always. If installed on the front, the car is likely to spin out of control. If in tough conditions or on a front wheel drive car, one could put them on all four wheels, but never front only.
Do you have a citation for this statement? I know this is irrelevant to this Tesla discussion but fitting snow chains to the front wheels of front wheel drive cars is pretty standard practice. Fitting them to the rear wheels only would be a complete waste of time since you would not actually be able to move since the front wheels would have no traction.
Sure fitting chains to all wheels is better on any car but the norm for a front wheel drive car is one set on the front which I would argue is better than one set on the rear of a rear wheel drive car since it gives you both traction and steering. On the rear of a rear wheel drive you have traction but potentially no steering which I think is inherently worse than the risk of spinning a sensibly driven front wheel drive with front wheel chains or socks.

Also driving down for the first time over new year. I had a similar thoughts but with a model S, in the end I went with 4 snow socks but with all season tyres. The reviews for the snow socks seem good and in reality I think it will just be the very last bit of the journey that might need them as the main roads are usually good. Have you got the motorway tag? And did you get any adaptors for granny charging? Does your destination have a charger?

I know for the Model 3 Tesla make some very specific recommendations for chains in the manual. might be worth checking
This is what the M3 manual says
18" PEWAG SERVO SPORT RSS 76
19" PEWAG SERVO RS 77
20" MAGGI TRAK SP214
The problem with all Chains is they are such a pig to fit.
Have you Considered auto socks? They are approved as alternatives to chains in the French alps. I know they are not as durable but if its only for a week or 2 holiday they should easily last. You can always get 2 sets if worried. You may go the whole trip and never even use them. They are much much easier to fit and there are often a lot of very reasonable second hand unused sets on Ebay from when people change cars.
If cost is no object something like spikes spider are again much easier than chains to fit and work just as well.
Sites like roofbox.co.uk will give you vehicle specific recommendations

Thanks for all the feedback. I’ll take a look.

Also driving down for the first time over new year. I had a similar thoughts but with a model S, in the end I went with 4 snow socks but with all season tyres. The reviews for the snow socks seem good and in reality I think it will just be the very last bit of the journey that might need them as the main roads are usually good. Have you got the motorway tag? And did you get any adaptors for granny charging? Does your destination have a charger?

Yes we’re only anticipating snow towards the end of the journey. No Tesla charger at final
Destination. Nearest one is 70miles away. Will look into other charging points. Do you know of a local app to locate alternatives like zap map and others we have in the UK? .

We have a granny charging cable but not an adaptor. Have you seen a specific one?

I Looked at the motorway tag. I’ll check with our French/UK
friends we’re travelling with. It’s 21 Euro just to set it up.

I have the Tesla chains for my X, and have used them a bit. Work well, but make sure you read the instructions - not intuitive to install, at least to me. Getting the plastic nut cover off the wheel can be difficult. You want to practice or get a tool to help you before you are in the blizzard. Small slip joint pliers work if they are thin, or a pair of flat blade screw drivers.

Agree that for TESLAs, we should put chains on rear tires. However, you absolutely put chains on front tires for FWD AND in most cases, if you only have 1 pair of chains for an AWD, you put them on the front tires. That's mainly because:
  1. Most cars have an engine in the front that is heavy, which helps provide traction
  2. Tesla seems to be concerned about clearance, particularly on the front wheels.