Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What snow chains are suitable for Model 3 2023 Long Range? Tesla says no recommendation for summer tyres..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone, This is my first post and the subject of snow chains has me confused. My tyres are 235/45 R 18 and apparently wheels are Pinwheel Refresh 8.5J
The manual on screen in the car M3LR recommends for 18"/19" tyre size the Konig CG-9 103 snow chains.
When going to the Konig website, they recommend Konig CG-9 102.
The manual states not to put snow chains on summer tyres.
When asking Tesla support and Tesla service, they said 'There are no chains Tesla recommends for your vehicle at this time. If you do need to use chains on your vehicle, you will be required to do your own research on what chains are suitable as Tesla cannot recommend any at this time.' and then 'Best regards, Tesla Service'. :)
Can anyone tell me what the norm is in Australia for Tesla vehicles using summer tyres when they need to use chains? What have other owners done?

Attachments

• 20240204_201832 2.jpg
    20240204_201832 2.jpg
    469.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240208_174152 2.jpg
    20240208_174152 2.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 26
I was going to get chains but for my use case I decided upon snow socks instead. Much lighter and easier to put on than chains. I hve these thrown in my frunk just in case.

I purchased them for one place I frequent is a 43% up grade after a stop sign and left turn so there is no forward momentum on packed snow and ice.
I don't need them for regular driving but just in case of slippage when going up this hill.

Maybe they might suit your purposes as well?

Reactions: fhteagle
Upvote 0
We bought a set of snow chains for our Model 3, when one of our daughters lived in Colorado and we used to drive out to her for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

However, we had 18" rims and all-season tires. Whereas you have thinner summer tires.

Never needed to use them, but always carried them in the winter.

Note: You should not be using summer/performance tires below 35F/2C

Upvote 0
I am far from Australia but I guess I am surprised you are thinking about snow chains. Why would you not get snow tires? Do people use chains a lot there in the winter?
Not used much, but when you need them, you need them.

In hilly and mountainous terrain, after heavy snow, the police will block vehicles from the road without chains, or AWD and snow tires.

Upvote 0
Not used much, but when you need them, you need them.

In hilly and mountainous terrain, after heavy snow, the police will block vehicles from the road without chains, or AWD and snow tires.
California is similar. Bare roads in the urban lowlands, absurd snow amounts just a few miles away in the mountains.

Sydney/Canberra/Melbourne —> Thredbo must be the same.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for your input. I think I will go for the autosocks. They are light and work. They may not be a legal alternative for snow chains in NSW but because I drive an AWD, The Kosciuszko National Park won't require me to carry chains to access the park. When the weather is bad and the park insists that chains are put on 2WD vehicles (using summer tyres), I'll have the socks available for added peace of mind.
For those who are not familiar with the area, The Kosciuszko National Park is where the two most popular ski resorts in NSW are situated. They are about 35Km from the nearest town Jindabyne, where it almost never snows. Many people will drive from Jindabyne each day and park at the resorts. Most people live in areas where the lowest temp would never reach below zero so buying winter tyres is just not realistic. Snow chain hire is the normal for most visitors to the region with 2WD vehicles as it is mandatory to carry them to enter the National Park during the winter season.
Thanks again for your input :)

Reactions: Braumin
Upvote 0