Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X snowboard rack for more than 4 snowboards?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Specifically, this is the rack:

But it only supports 4 snowboards. So if anyone has an X and uses something else that does more than 4 snowboards I'd be interested in knowing what you use.

This is a bad idea, especially if you live or travel anywhere they salt the roads. But even sand and gravel will give your sliding equipment a real beating. Take a tip from a professional skier on this one and carry your gear inside the vehicle if at all possible - or in an enclosed top box if not.

• Disagree
Reactions: shahryaran
For a roof top solution, unfortunately, you'll have to go with something like Seasuckers or Treefrog suction racks. I'm starting to look at those (for SUP paddle boards) and still on the fence about trusting them. If I do go with one, I like the Treefrog better due to their aerobars (Seasucker uses round). I'm also afraid of accidentally opening the falcon doors and causing damage (unless having the boards or a cargo box up there alerts the sensors and the doors don't move at all).

For a roof top solution, unfortunately, you'll have to go with something like Seasuckers or Treefrog suction racks. I'm starting to look at those (for SUP paddle boards) and still on the fence about trusting them. If I do go with one, I like the Treefrog better due to their aerobars (Seasucker uses round). I'm also afraid of accidentally opening the falcon doors and causing damage (unless having the boards or a cargo box up there alerts the sensors and the doors don't move at all).
There are too many things that can go wrong with a suction rack solution. In addition to the issues that you mention, you would also have to trust that the glass itself is secure enough to sustain the forces. It is also not practical if you have passengers in the rear.

I looked into this a bit before going with a solution that puts sliding tools inside the car. The downside to this solution is that it effectively limits us to four passengers.

If I were dead-set on an external rack (in order to fit more than four passengers or for any other reason), I would go with a hitch-mounted cargo carrier. Here is one example, and here is a somewhat less expensive alternative. I would likely put all the gear into ski/board travel bags and strap those to the carrier if I were to go this route, to avoid the wear & tear that tls mentioned above. Keep in mind that the load rating for a hitch-mounted rack/carrier is something like 120lbs. And it's probably best to keep the weight as close to the hitch as possible since you're effectively creating a lever on the back end of your car. Also, it kind of goes without saying, but--similar to Tesla's rebranded third-party rack--a hitch-mounted cargo carrier can create difficulties accessing your trunk and/or superchargers.

There are too many things that can go wrong with a suction rack solution. In addition to the issues that you mention, you would also have to trust that the glass itself is secure enough to sustain the forces. It is also not practical if you have passengers in the rear.
I hear ya. But I've also spoken to people who have used it on their X for things like SUP paddle boards and haven't had any issues (yet). I bought Yakima Exo base and cargo box to replace my roof top cargo box, but still trying to figure out a solution for the paddle boards.

I hear ya. But I've also spoken to people who have used it on their X for things like SUP paddle boards and haven't had any issues (yet). I bought Yakima Exo base and cargo box to replace my roof top cargo box, but still trying to figure out a solution for the paddle boards.
My two Blackfin XL inflatable paddle boards fit nicely in the subtrunk along with all of their accessories. I have traveled all over the county with them, from NY to Grand Teton, Glacier, Lake Tahoe, Lake Powell, Florida... best purchase ever!

Really wish there were more videos of this in action. With the winter season coming up this is the solution I prefer, when I can't fit the boards inside. It does seem like the FWD still function.