Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X tax credit question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 7 seater on order but my wife has her own business so I’m hoping/assuming she can get a commercial tax credit which has no price cap. The 5 seater X is ok but the 7 seat has more utility since the seats fold flat.

It is quite a dilemma for those wanting the consumer tax credit because it makes any of the options effectively way more expensive.

yes, they did the same with Y earlier this year. at first it was only the 7 seat Y qualifies for the tax credit, then after few weeks it opened up to all Y.
That was due to what the government defined as an SUV, not because of Tesla’s own choice or pricing. Once the feds revised what qualified as an SUV, it included all versions of Model Y.

That may be the case but if you order in Nov there is no way you would get it by 12/31
I don’t think the credit is going away..so I would wait until Oct/nov for end of quarter deal. I don’t think many people are lining up to buy a 80k suv so I am sure there will be lot of inventory. In early 2023, logic said Tesla will drop model y price to get under the cap…no one thought they would but they did. I predict the same for model x, there are many in inventory with 80-86k range..logic says they will drop another 7k to get under the 79k for model x with any options and colors. They have to..

I don’t think the credit is going away..so I would wait until Oct/nov for end of quarter deal. I don’t think many people are lining up to buy a 80k suv so I am sure there will be lot of inventory. In early 2023, logic said Tesla will drop model y price to get under the cap…no one thought they would but they did. I predict the same for model x, there are many in inventory with 80-86k range..logic says they will drop another 7k to get under the 79k for model x with any options and colors. They have to..
The credit is not going away, but in 2024 more stringent requirements for the source of battery components and manufacturing location take effect. In 2024 the percentage of critical minerals must be at least 50% sourced from the US or a country where we have a free trade angreement. The 2nd requirement is that 60% of battery components must be manufactured in North America. Lots of vehicles that qualify for the full $7,500 credit now (because of slightly less stringent requirements in 2023) are either having credit reduced to $3,500 because they will only meet 1 of the 2 requirements, or they meet none and drop off the list all together. Tesla is saying on their website that the Model X is likely not going to qualify for the credit in 2024..

The Model Y meets 2024 requirements to keep the full $7,500 credit. So, you can’t count on ordering a MX in December and taking delivery by 12/31.. the timing might not work out. I ordered mine on 9/2 and my initial delivery window said September and now has been changed to October-November.

Sources: https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/jy1379

👀

EV Tax Credit Flow Chart.jpg