Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X: Used versus New

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are debating whether we should buy a used 2017 (90 or 100) or get a new 100. We want a six seater but other than that we are flexible regarding options. We tend to keep our cars for a long time (eight to 10 years), but we typically buy used. We don't want to shell out the extra money for new one unless there is a compelling reason. We'd get the federal tax credit with a new one but aren't eligible for any state credits. Are there any significant upgrades with the current model year that make a new one worth it? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

We are debating whether we should buy a used 2017 (90 or 100) or get a new 100. We want a six seater but other than that we are flexible regarding options. We tend to keep our cars for a long time (eight to 10 years), but we typically buy used. We don't want to shell out the extra money for new one unless there is a compelling reason. We'd get the federal tax credit with a new one but aren't eligible for any state credits. Are there any significant upgrades with the current model year that make a new one worth it? Any thoughts would be appreciated!
You won't get autopilot 2.5 or the new central computer, and probably won't get unlimited supercharging

Are 2.5 and the new computer worth it? We aren’t car aficionados so if the differences are subtle, it may not be worth it to us. However, if safety is significantly improved, that would be compelling.
It really depends on what version of autopilot the cpo would have. Autopilot 2 and 2.5 are basically identical, but they will be much more capable than autopilot 1. The new central computer is much faster, but it has a few minor bugs. If you are going for the 7 seater, they made a significant change where the original 7 seaters were electronic and couldn't fold flat but the new ones are manual and can fold the 2nd row. Btw let me know if you need a referral code for free supercharging if you go with a new one

I have the older X and nothing is even slightly compelling to change cars, love it! However, I purchased when it was open box ordering and I got everything exactly the way I like it!

Same here. A new one would cost me a lot more now than mine did in 2016. For example, we got the cold weather package for $1K. Now it’s only available with the $6K PUP package. Also, autopilot was only $2500.

EDIT: The PUP package is now mandatory.

Reactions: ModelX
Same here. A new one would cost me a lot more now than mine did in 2016. For example, we got the cold weather package for $1K. Now it’s only available with the $6K PUP package. Also, autopilot was only $2500.

EDIT: The PUP package is now mandatory.

Yes it’s “standard” and the price is less.

The earlier builds have had more reports of build quality issues.

Used go for mid 2017 ..if u want 90 check for v2,3 pack as the 1 has issues ..the 100 came around early 2017. Mechanically better changes happened in mid 2017 ..others have note AP2.5 , FWDs better mechanicals ..and the fold flat seven seater ..2017 u will also probably find real leather and ventilated seats on some models

• Informative
Reactions: TexasRat
It comes down to how much you can find an used one for. If there are inventory vehicles they come with discount and you are still eligible for tax credit.

The only major updates were AP1 (2016) to AP2 (oct 2016) to AP2.5 (Sept 2017?) , MCU1 to MCU2 (March 2018), and 7 seaters became bench (June 2017?)

The rest are pretty minor to me. I went from 2016 to 2018 and felt like I was pretty much driving the same car, even with AP1 because there’s still no discernible difference between AP1 and 2/2.5 as of April 2018 and most likely as of today.

I usually purchase used as well, but went with a new on the Tesla. There just wasn’t any used ones that offered a good enough discount. Typically used cars lose 20-30% of their sticker value the first year. With Tesla, you’ll find most are selling for close to sticker less tax credit, and maybe an additional 5% off. It just wasn’t enough to be with the risk of a used car. As for Tesla CPOs, they’re dang near the price of what an inventory/showroom car would be (although those are getting fewer and fewer)

Otherwise, AP1 vs AP2 are the big ones. Significant benefits of AP2.5 are yet to be seen. Option packages are going to be the headache since they changed so much. Ie. Subzero was a stand-alone option, then a premium package, now standard. So do your research on the car and don’t assume it comes with everything.

The other thing is FSD, free supercharging, all the non-obvious options. You may get lucky and get it for free, or you may get unlucky and be sold it to find out it isn’t included. If you’re not buying from Tesla, you’re going to want to verify with Tesla the build sheet before you buy ad that could also take a while.

I would go new. Ours has been in service and was given older loaners and honestly ours was way better. Could not wait to give back loaner and get ours back. Make sure to get before 9/16 or a refer code will only get you a years free charging

I have one of the earliest 2017 X 100D's, delivered 3/2017. It's AP2, which is what I was waiting for. I'm glad I got it with all the options because they're all pretty much standard now. Until MCU2 came along I never felt outdated. That's probably a record for a Tesla! It's a great car.

Yes, new is better, especially for a Tesla because they constantly tinker with them. But I think the X 100D has been pretty stable through 2017 and 2018. Just make sure it has all the options that are important to you. It's a great car. Seeing the number of high mileage Teslas still doing well, I still think a relatively high mileage used X might be the best deal if you like it cosmetically. Priced like an ICE car that will crap out at 150k miles, but should last a lot longer. But I haven't looked at the prices of used X's. The only concern I have is battery life past about 10 years. No 10 year old Model S's yet.