Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat occupancy sensor fault?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

m3gt2

Sep 14, 2015
england
Hi, is it possible to test the seat occupancy sensor in the drivers seat? I’ve got a 2019 M3P and the past couple of days I’ve noticed when I charge and get back in the seat the audio and screen go off unless I press the screen and just now I’ve had a message on my phone to say the doors are unlocked even though I’m in the vehicle! Many thanks

Screen goes off if no one is sitting in drivers seat and another door is closed. I find it quite frustrating as a passenger who is setting up a nav/adjusting audio etc before the driver gets in the car but has just put something in the rear.

Slight work around/test of seat occupancy is when rear door is just about to be closed, front passenger puts some light force with hand of vase of drivers seat. That will stop screen turning off when rear door is closed.

We know our front seat occupancy sensor works as some onscreen controls work differently depending on occupancy of front passenger seat.

Imho screen should not blank if someone seated in front passenger seat either, and you could argue similar for rear seats too but they are more likely to have car seat/other load on them so give false positive for occupancy.

Reactions: m3gt2
Screen goes off if no one is sitting in drivers seat and another door is closed. I find it quite frustrating as a passenger who is setting up a nav/adjusting audio etc before the driver gets in the car but has just put something in the rear.

Slight work around/test of seat occupancy is when rear door is just about to be closed, front passenger puts some light force with hand of vase of drivers seat. That will stop screen turning off when rear door is closed.

We know our front seat occupancy sensor works as some onscreen controls work differently depending on occupancy of front passenger seat.

Imho screen should not blank if someone seated in front passenger seat either, and you could argue similar for rear seats too but they are more likely to have car seat/other load on them so give false positive for occupancy.
Thanks, looks like it’s not detecting anyone sat in drivers seat. I’ve just pulled up from driving, opened the drivers door with screen/radio on, shut the door without getting out and it’s all gone off. Will book a service appointment.

Reactions: MrBadger
Hi, is it possible to test the seat occupancy sensor in the drivers seat? I’ve got a 2019 M3P and the past couple of days I’ve noticed when I charge and get back in the seat the audio and screen go off unless I press the screen and just now I’ve had a message on my phone to say the doors are unlocked even though I’m in the vehicle! Many thanks
I had similar in my 2020 M3P - raised a service ticket and a ranger turned up and sorted it in about 5 minutes. He replaced the occupancy sensor under warranty.

So just to conclude this, I booked it in on Wednesday evening to have the work carried out on 4th December as this was the first available date that was convenient for me, the first day was today in the app. Yesterday morning I had a text asking if they could fit it yesterday, this came at about 07.20 and I replied saying that I wouldn’t be home until 09.15 and would need to be gone again by 10.45 which they were fine with, arrived at 10.00 and gone by 10.20 after showing me the fault in the ribbon cable. Total cost £204.04, obviously no one want to spend on repairs but after over 4 years and 180k miles of my not so svelt butt being on it I really can’t complain!

Reactions: MrBadger
So just to conclude this, I booked it in on Wednesday evening to have the work carried out on 4th December as this was the first available date that was convenient for me, the first day was today in the app. Yesterday morning I had a text asking if they could fit it yesterday, this came at about 07.20 and I replied saying that I wouldn’t be home until 09.15 and would need to be gone again by 10.45 which they were fine with, arrived at 10.00 and gone by 10.20 after showing me the fault in the ribbon cable. Total cost £204.04, obviously no one want to spend on repairs but after over 4 years and 180k miles of my not so svelt butt being on it I really can’t complain!
180k miles! Yikes, that s a lot! How is the battery doing?

180k miles! Yikes, that s a lot! How is the battery doing?
Not bad tbh, I’d say 10 maybe 12% degradation from new. I love it, would be a lot higher if we didn’t have the pandemic, have done about 7k this month already :), I’ve had quite a few flash cars over the years but I love this way more than all the others, unfortunately still have a couple of diesel vehicles as well and I hate driving them, though I will admit the 740Ld is much nicer if you are in the back!

Reactions: greebo and Kenners