Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y acceleration boost: How does it actually affect peak power?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone done a comparison of how the acceleration boost actually affects peak power out of the battery pack or how it affects the power/accelerator position curve? I.e. has someone done some tests while having the car plugged into Scan My Tesla, showing how it affects torque/power to the motors? That would be interesting to see, but I haven't seen it anywhere.

I found this video from Bjorn which has the data for the Model 3:

According to Forbes, it seems that both the Model 3 and the Model Y AWD LRs have around 291 kw combined power output from the motors. In Bjorn's launches, without boost: ~320kw (which is more than what Forbes is reporting... odd?), with boost: ~350kw. It looks like the boost is happening all in the front motor.

So, good for around ~30kw or 40hp. Not bad for a click-upgrade. ;)

According to Forbes, it seems that both the Model 3 and the Model Y AWD LRs have around 291 kw combined power output from the motors. In Bjorn's launches, without boost: ~320kw (which is more than what Forbes is reporting... odd?)

Tesla motors are between 80 and 94% efficient, which means that both sets of numbers are reasonable (Forbes is output and Bjorn is input as measured from the battery)

Hmmmm,

The main difference between the MYLR and MYP is that the MYP has a different more powerful rear motor... does this mean that since the MYLR and MYP have the same front motor we are leaving 40 HP un-utilized that could be used to make the MYP even faster? Or is the limitation a "hard limit" on what the battery can provide? I know that with the MYP there is a noticeable sag in performance as state of charge of the battery goes down, starting right away. In other words, a MYP at 90% SOC is measurably slower than a MYP at 100% (not by much, but it is measurable). It is my understanding that the MYLR doesn't have performance sag until much lower in the battery pack SOC... can I get this confirmed by someone who has tested it, or a link to a thread about it?

Thanks,

Keith