Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y battery coolant leak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model Y-2023 is less than 3 months and 1000 miles. Last night after parking I heard a water flush sound .. to realize next day that my battery coolant leak (blue liquid all over the floor) . Drove car for some distance but started getting message from ‘ok to drive but seek service appointment’ , cabin overheating .. to eventually making wired noises after parking. That made me nervous and requested online appointment which is almost 3 weeks from now. Finally called roadside to tow car to service center.. waiting for reply .. can’t imagine brand new car with such a critical issue . No accident or object hitting .. Anyone else experienced same issue?

Any coolant puddle, ICE or EC, is an indication of a serious problem that needs to be resolved before driving the car.

Did you check the coolant level (under the rear panel in the frunk...panel pops off easily)? If you drove the car with an extremely low coolant level, you might have compromised several components.

Sorry this happened to you, and although rare, coolant leaks from the factory do happen in every make of car.

Blue liquid, slippery when touched is definitely Tesla coolant. Reports of coolant leaks in Tesla Model Y vehicles, as reported on TMC, are not common. Unless the policy has changed Tesla Service has a policy that Tesla vehicles covered under the new vehicle 4 year / 50k mile warranty that are towed to the Tesla Service Center must be looked at by a Tesla Service technician within 24 hours (not counting weekends and holidays.) I would follow up on Monday, Tuesday A.M. latest requesting an update on the status of your Tesla Model Y. You should request a Tesla loaner vehicle or Uber/Lyft voucher if the repair will take longer than a day.

Know that in some cases Tesla coolant leaks have been caused by rodents chewing on the coolant lines. This would not be covered under the warranty but you could file a claim with your automobile insurance.

My model Y-2023 is less than 3 months and 1000 miles. Last night after parking I heard a water flush sound .. to realize next day that my battery coolant leak (blue liquid all over the floor) . Drove car for some distance but started getting message from ‘ok to drive but seek service appointment’ , cabin overheating .. to eventually making wired noises after parking. That made me nervous and requested online appointment which is almost 3 weeks from now. Finally called roadside to tow car to service center.. waiting for reply .. can’t imagine brand new car with such a critical issue . No accident or object hitting .. Anyone else experienced same issue?
So you noticed a Large blue liquid pool all over the floor and your first instinct was to go out driving for the day? May want to make an appointment.

I have used roadside assistance to tow my car to service center .. this morning I was told that they are replacing part and few mins back I received a message that my car is ready for pickup.. looks like issue with faulty part

what kind of rodents? mice? squirrels? chipmunks? bunnies?

i ask because we have alot of bunnies and im constantly nervous
Not bunnies. Most often small rodents so field mice, rats. Possibly ground squirrels.

There was even a post by one Tesla owner who had their Mobile Connector chewed up by a raccoon. I have read that porcupines have been known to chew up the wire insulation on ICE vehicles parked while hiking and camping.

Not bunnies. Most often small rodents so field mice, rats. Possibly ground squirrels.

There was even a post by one Tesla owner who had their Mobile Connector chewed up by a raccoon. I have read that porcupines have been known to chew up the wire insulation on ICE vehicles parked while hiking and camping.
over half of my office has had their ICE vehicles chewed up by bunnies... its often ~$2k in damages.. i'm hoping they cant fit past the tesla skateboard deck

apparently bunnies dont like irish spring soap so people have been sprinkling it in their engine bays and around where they park hah

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
Am I the only one envisioning a Monty Python sketch……
Yelobird, YOU ARE NOT ALONE, but dangit I could have done without that vision in my head. Someone has a real issue with rodents but now all I'm seeing is a bunch of Teslas driving off from a cave screaming "run away, run away" 😅🤣. (Also, you know damn well that none of them have a Holy Hand Grenade handy). 😂

Reactions: pvanosta and posity
I had this problem at 400 miles. They discovered it when they were replacing the high voltage converter and the power conversion system. I never noticed it, but had only had the car for a day. Car has run great since then. About three weeks and 500 miles.

I picked up my 2023 MYLR beginning of November and drove it to Long Island. After charging in our host destinations garage, I noticed blue fluid under the car but thought it was fluid from me cleaning my windshield. Fast forward a couple weeks later and noticed a large puddle of blue fluid in our garage.

I immediately made a service appointment for two weeks later due to being on a cruise. Appointment was yesterday. They found a leak in the manifold, had the part in stock and as of this post am waiting for the car to be repaired. They indicated it was a very slow leak and said that is why I never received a low coolant warning.

Telsa service center provided me with a loaner car and indicated my car should be ready by the end of the day today. Fingers crossed.

While I understand things like this happen, it is very unnerving to have this happen and hope this is the last repair needed in a long time. Nice to have the warranty, right?

This is our third time dealing with service. The first was mobile service. They replaced the back of the drivers seat as it had a gouge noted during delivery and the cargo cover was damaged. The cargo cover was replaced with a different type which only folded one way as the original had the ability to fold it two ways (more compactly).

The second was at the service center where they checked the alignment and stated it was within specs but made adjustments to bring it closer to true alignment?? Now this concern with 1000 miles/ 5 weeks of ownership.

I picked up my 2023 MYLR beginning of November and drove it to Long Island. After charging in our host destinations garage, I noticed blue fluid under the car but thought it was fluid from me cleaning my windshield. Fast forward a couple weeks later and noticed a large puddle of blue fluid in our garage.

I immediately made a service appointment for two weeks later due to being on a cruise. Appointment was yesterday. They found a leak in the manifold, had the part in stock and as of this post am waiting for the car to be repaired. They indicated it was a very slow leak and said that is why I never received a low coolant warning.

Telsa service center provided me with a loaner car and indicated my car should be ready by the end of the day today. Fingers crossed.

While I understand things like this happen, it is very unnerving to have this happen and hope this is the last repair needed in a long time. Nice to have the warranty, right?

This is our third time dealing with service. The first was mobile service. They replaced the back of the drivers seat as it had a gouge noted during delivery and the cargo cover was damaged. The cargo cover was replaced with a different type which only folded one way as the original had the ability to fold it two ways (more compactly).

The second was at the service center where they checked the alignment and stated it was within specs but made adjustments to bring it closer to true alignment?? Now this concern with 1000 miles/ 5 weeks of ownership.
It’s a simple hose clamp and it does appear they took pretty good care of you from what you posted. Stuff Happens wouldn’t get overly concerned.