Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oil leak from rear of Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own a 2022 Model 3 with 70,000 miles on the odometer, and it has been well-maintained. When reversing out of the garage, I noticed a rainbow of oily liquid leaking from the middle right of the rear of the car. The leak was worse this morning, but after driving to a few stops, it seems to have stopped. Tonight, I plan to put an oil pan under the car to see if there is any oil and check the color. I am looking for advice on what I should check, as I have already booked an appointment at the service center for next Tuesday. Until then, I'll try to keep driving to a minimum.
tes1.jpg

Will the current phone app let you ask the service team if it's safe to drive in the meantime, and whether they can see it sooner?
Unfortunately not, the phone app is appt is way past my booking. It’s since stopped raining and I put cardboard under to see where the oil was coming from and all I see is water drops. They also seem to be getting less. I also checked the break fluid which seems to be at a good level. At this point I’m start in to assume it was runoff, but I’ll keep the appt and have it checked out.

Reactions: Transformer
Upvote 0
Unfortunately not, the phone app is appt is way past my booking. It’s since stopped raining and I put cardboard under to see where the oil was coming from and all I see is water drops. They also seem to be getting less. I also checked the break fluid which seems to be at a good level. At this point I’m start in to assume it was runoff, but I’ll keep the appt and have it checked . They did say it was safe to drive if there were no warnings. At owners discretion of course.

Upvote 0
I would look under the car and see if your car is dripping any fluid. Most likely it is residue that was on the ground already, with the heavy rain it rises and shows that rainbow effect.
Thanks, I don’t see anything dripping now but it was definitely coming from the car, I just got it delivered last week, so I’m assuming that when I was running through the streaming puddles this week it washed out any oil residue from the under carriage.

Upvote 0