Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y bleeding air from octovalve

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a 2021 Model Y with a cracked octovalve. It was in an accident so not under warranty. I took the octovalve out and plasti-welded the crack. I put it back in the car but now there is air in the system (I think) and the two pumps keep running. I left it for 24 hours thinking it will bleed the air out by itself but all I got was pumps that might be broken (they were squeaking most likely because they were running dry). I tried unplugging the top hoses and pouring glycol into them directly, I tried turning the ac/heat on (the car does not produce any heat nor does the ac work).

It used to be that you turn the car off (disconnect the 12v battery and take out the emergency loop/disconnect) but with the Model Y it’s almost impossible to turn it off - the car is fully functional without the 12v battery and you need to cut the emergency loop, you can’t disconnect it). Anyhow, if you turn the off the car and turn it back on, it checks all the systems including the pumps and valves and in essence purges itself. At least that is theory on the older Teslas. But since I can’t turn off the car I have no idea how to purge the air from the cooling system. Any ideas?

Remove the cable from the negative 12V battery post. Lift the rear seat see Youtube videos for how to do that. There is a large black connector under the passenger side rear seat which supplies the 12V power (don't mess with any orange cables!). You do not need to remove that connector, simply lift the latch and you will hear the contactors open (I did not need to remove the connector, it possible you might need to). The car is now in storage mode. Wait around a minute, then flip the latch back and reconnect the cable to the 12V negative battery post in that order. After connecting the cable to the 12V battey post, you will hear the contactors close and the coolant pumps running. BTW, I did this on my Model 3. I think the same procedure should work on the Model Y?

Reactions: MP3Mike
Upvote 0
I found this plug, it works the same way as cutting the emergency loop. Unfortunately I still can’t get the air out. I tried unplugging the two small tubes that seem to be going inside the cabin and are the highest points of the cooling system. But still air in there.

Attachments

• 784DF439-3319-4EEA-929E-F86D912CC531.jpeg
    784DF439-3319-4EEA-929E-F86D912CC531.jpeg
    579.5 KB · Views: 201
Upvote 0
Ya maybe the vacuum tool might be used. I’m hoping someone knows for sure (ie some has done it or seen it done) so I’m not trying techniques that just leave me frustrated.

Try sending an email over to Rich Rebuilds or Electrified Garage. He does respond and he's torn plenty of Teslas apart.

Upvote 0