Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Cargo Loading

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Zoomit

Sep 1, 2015
SoCal
DÆrik posted a video (Youtube link) of a 971 lb load in the back of his Model Y. He gives the Model Y a "pass" after unloading and inspecting the trunk. I thought I'd post something about how this load compares to the load limits Tesla includes in the manual. This is an evolution of a spreadsheet I created to assess 18" Aero wheels on the Model Y (thread here) and is updated to reflect changes to the Model Y owners manual.

One correction to the video is that he says the trunk can hold 285 lbs, but a careful read of the manual indicates that is a limit for the underfloor bin. Tesla limits the load on top of the underfloor bin to only 130 lbs, but clearly it can take more as he demonstrated.

Anyway, he was about 300 lbs over the GVWR, as shown at point L.

20200626, MY W&B.png

Config A: Curb weight, no payload
Config B: Driver only
Config C: Two front passengers
Config D: Driver, two kids in back, and some stuff in the frunk and trunk
Config E: Two big guys in front and a full frunk
Config F: Four adult passengers
Config G: Fully laden with four adult passengers and 205 lb cargo
Config H: Fully laden with two adult and two smaller passengers and 295 lb cargo
Config I: Fully laden with driver and 715 lb cargo
Config J: Fully laden with 350 lb tongue weight trailer
Config K: Driver and minor cargo with 350 lb tongue weight trailer
Config L: Two front passengers with 971 lb in trunk

• Informative
Reactions: kevin1 and Lobstahz
I did a real-world cargo load test of the big under floor storage bin in the back today with a Costco run. It held a full case of wine, 2 ea. "Finish" dishwasher tabs packs (on sale!), a bunch of banana's, a pack of cherries, a 2-pack of milk (2 gallons), 2 lbs of blueberries, a lb of Irish cheddar with chives (sounds interesting...), and a big bag of chips w/ Himalayan salt. Had room for smaller items to spare... :)

There's a video on youtube posted yesterday I think where the guy loaded close to 1000 lbs in the back and it held up just fine.
Cool, thanks for reading the first two sentences of this thread. Here they are again, in case you want another round. ;)
DÆrik posted a video (Youtube link) of a 971 lb load in the back of his Model Y. He gives the Model Y a "pass" after unloading and inspecting the trunk.