Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Load limit exceeded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone.

Yesterday I took some family members to the airport without knowing the load limit of my MY, later on out of curiosity I checked what the limit was and I realized I exceeded it.
The load limit in my door sticker says 826lbs and
I estimate that between people and luggage there were around 920lbs total in the car, divided this way: 375lbs in the front seats, 395lbs in the rear seats and 150lbs in the trunk. The two biggest people in the car were next to me and behind me. So without knowing at least the weight was divided evenly throughout the car.

Was a 12 mile/25 minutes ride. Of which 9 miles were on the highway and the other 3 on flat roads. The ride was really chill, smooth braking, smooth turns, etc. The car felt perfectly normal and I didn’t feel any difference from when I drive by myself. The car has only 3k miles that I mostly drive by myself so I would imagine that the suspension is in pretty good shape.

I obviously won’t do this ever again, but is there anything I should be worried about? or anything I should check in the car to make sure everything is alright?

Thanks!

• Funny
Reactions: redpoint5
Hello Everyone.

Yesterday I took some family members to the airport without knowing the load limit of my MY, later on out of curiosity I checked what the limit was and I realized I exceeded it.
The load limit in my door sticker says 826lbs and
I estimate that between people and luggage there were around 920lbs total in the car, divided this way: 375lbs in the front seats, 395lbs in the rear seats and 150lbs in the trunk. The two biggest people in the car were next to me and behind me. So without knowing at least the weight was divided evenly throughout the car.

Was a 12 mile/25 minutes ride. Of which 9 miles were on the highway and the other 3 on flat roads. The ride was really chill, smooth braking, smooth turns, etc. The car felt perfectly normal and I didn’t feel any difference from when I drive by myself. The car has only 3k miles that I mostly drive by myself so I would imagine that the suspension is in pretty good shape.

I obviously won’t do this ever again, but is there anything I should be worried about? or anything I should check in the car to make sure everything is alright?

Thanks!
Did it do something like this?

If not, I’m sure you’re okay.

IMG_2362.jpeg

Thanks everyone for answering. Reading the comments I guess that could be more problematic than I thought. I’ll take it to Tesla service to make sure the suspension is fine.
Most of the comments are either tongue in cheek jokes or suggesting the car is fine.

Put me in the camp that you should not worry about anything with the car and just move on with whatever else you want to do.

Thanks everyone for answering. Reading the comments I guess that could be more problematic than I thought. I’ll take it to Tesla service to make sure the suspension is fine.
The only thing that’s going to get lighter at a Tesla Service Center is your wallet.

I’d assume the load rating has a 50% safety factor built in. I’d also guess braking distance is the biggest reason for a load rating. You said the car rode fine so the suspension system wasn’t hitting the stops. Save your money.

federico90: Is this the first car you've loaded up with your family and luggage? Did you ever look at load limits on any previous car you've owned?

It's probable that you've "overloaded" other cars previous to this one. There's nothing unusual about Tesla load capacities.

@federico90 the load was only 11% over spec. Surely the safety margin is much larger. Since Model Y can tow 3,500 pounds, the extra 100 pounds was no sweat to most components excepting the suspension.

If this situation arises again I'd just ensure the tire pressures are up to recommended pressure and maybe a couple psi more.