Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Delivery and Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, this is kind of late. But I took delivery of a LR AWD on March 28th which was during the push for quarter's end number. I initially ordered a blue model y LR AWD and got confirmation for delivery of that model on March 28. With that in mind, I started selling my old car to pay for this tesla. And lo and behold, before the delivery day, Tesla called me and said that the blue one came with a non functioning hatch and multiple body damages. So they got to send it to the shop and if I wanted to take delivery I'd have sign a waiver stating that I understand the condition of the car. Well, I didn't want that. So the Costa Mesa Delivery Center convinced me that they had the same exact config but in Silver color and that car'd passed inspection. I contemplated about this and took delivery. It was actually a tesla drop as we are currently in a lock down here in CA. 2 tesla employees drove the Y to my house and left without making any contact.

And upon opening the car, I found multiple issues with the car in regard to cleanliness, misaligned body panels, and the A/C doesn't work. Immediately documented and sent them images of all the issues the same day, and several days and multiple phone calls later, they told me to bring the car to the service center for repair (Thursday the 2nd). The service center found that a harness was loose for the A/C. Told me that it'd be fixed by Monday. Then monday came, and they said the A/C didn't work again and the harness was actually damaged. Told me Wednesday (4/8, which is today), it'd be fixed. And now I was just told that the part is not available. This is my first ever tesla, and it has been a super unpleasant experience.

Attachments

• 20200328_152418.jpg
    20200328_152418.jpg
    569.6 KB · Views: 247
  • 20200328_152615.jpg
    20200328_152615.jpg
    634.4 KB · Views: 205
  • 20200328_152950.jpg
    20200328_152950.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 203
  • 20200328_160239.jpg
    20200328_160239.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 204
  • 20200328_160324.jpg
    20200328_160324.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 222
  • 20200328_160444.jpg
    20200328_160444.jpg
    489.5 KB · Views: 194
  • 20200328_160531.jpg
    20200328_160531.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 205
  • 20200328_170816.jpg
    20200328_170816.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 214
  • 20200328_171039.jpg
    20200328_171039.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 191
  • 20200328_171054.jpg
    20200328_171054.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 215
I’d guess that in the rush to get cars delivered by the EOQ, Tesla was careless in inspecting the vehicles. I’m sorry that it happened to you.

From my own experience, Tesla’s do not exhibit the same level of fit and finish as most premium vehicles. That said, my Model X was my favorite vehicle, and I intend on buying another Tesla.

I hope you get things resolved to your satisfaction. I’d advise you to keep a log. Good luck!

Reactions: Reborn
wow. Sorry about your issues. The MY will be my first Tesla, but I have friends and family with Teslas and fit/finish are known issues and accepted in the the Tesla ownership experience. Everyone loves their Teslas, but most every owner will admit the fit and finish are not what one usually expects.
I'm stuck on "drafting a contract" since early March, and at this point I'm glad I didn't get an EOQ car. Many of the issues you've pictured are so glaringly obvious, the people delivering the car can't deny they didn't notice some of them, so this tells me it's just their modus operandi to get cars out the door regardless of condition.

I do agree that the car drives like nothing else I have driven before and it's no denying Tesla's prowess in technology and electric motortrain. But the apparent lack of customer service is so horrendous. I'm sure the people at costa mesa delivery center knew these issues beforehand but they were still trying to push hard for me take delivery of this car. And in the current climate that they are allowed to do remote drop, it's like they have the luxury to force the vehicles upon customers and worry about the fallout later. At this point they said that they have escalated this to their business resolution team which I was told only have 3 people working remotely. And I have not heard back. I hope that you guys will have better luck.

And my vin is in the 4000 btw.

Reactions: rotiv54436
Dk2112, thank you for your informative posting. I plan on ordering our MY in the Fall (I'm in AZ now, will go to Cape Cod in a couple of months, and will order the MY on our return to AZ). I will continue to monitor purchasers experiences and see (and hope...) if Tesla quality control gets a bit better.

Rich

Dk2112, thank you for your informative posting. I plan on ordering our MY in the Fall (I'm in AZ now, will go to Cape Cod in a couple of months, and will order the MY on our return to AZ). I will continue to monitor purchasers experiences and see (and hope...) if Tesla quality control gets a bit better.

Rich
You're welcome. I think that as time progresses, their QA will improve. But like others have mentioned, I'd avoid EOQ vehicles as these are super rushed to meet the financial goals. It may have just been my experience with the particular delivery center, but during these pushes, they just want to get their vehicles our asap and they will shift the responsibility to the service centers after delivery.

Ok, to update on this, I got a call to pickup the MY yesterday (friday 10th). Upon inspection before leaving the SC, the side pillar panels where the driver seatbelt is, they fell out. Told the supervisor and he called some technicians over to pop them back in. Well, guess what, they couldn't. They had to bring the car to the back and replaced all the clips holding the panels together. So that was like an additional 30 mins of my time.

I drove the car back home, kept it in the garage. This afternoon I took it out to do some grocery shopping, and the autopilot didn't work at all. The dashboard says that the camera needs realignment. I guess they messed up the camera's alignment when they were trying to push the panels back in since the side camera is located there. Now, I gotta bring the car back in to SC. This is really not an experience I was looking for, especially for a >60k vehicle.

Reactions: Kelr316
Would the lemon law cover you here ? It's past the Tesla 7 day return but you may want to return this car and get another one. I know some folks will say this is part of the experience but I'd lose my mind when i see other $60k vehicles and think about my car sitting in the shop most of the first month of ownership.

Reactions: Scott7
Dk2112 - sorry to hear you are having so many issues. For better or worse, i think these kinds of issues are more common in the first 6 months or so of production. I sure hope Tesla gets its act together soon! As for AP not working. Are you certain it didnt say the camera needs 'calibration'. AP doesnt work yet in new cars. The car needs to be driven 30 or more miles for the system to calibrate before it becomes available to you.

Wow that's unacceptable! Does most of that simply clean off? regardless that's no excuse, but few shoe scuffs that clean off isn't a huge deal.

I got a MYP blue vin- 13xx , excellent condition delivered to my house 2 weeks ago. It was really clean and we were all happy. I picked at it as much as I can because I know tesla isn't known for QC. what I found was
-crooked fender panel
- tail lights seem to be uneven
- steering wheel is 5 degrees off center when in neutral position
- driver door seal was making wind noise at street speeds

I dropped it off at Tesla SC last week and they gave me a Model S loaner for the day. Everything is good now..

Thanks for all the comments. I actually brought the issue of returning the car immediately when the SC said that they'd need to keep my car past the 7 days. I only had the car for 4 days before it was kept at the shop for 10. The sales people said if I return the car I'm banned from buying the same model and config for a year. So, they told me that they had escalated this to business resolution team. But it has been a week and they have no idea what that team is doing. And yes, as Raiders mentioned and the sales person also said lemon law does not apply in this case. So I'm in limbo on this.

And AP did work on the 4 days that I had the car. It stopped working after I took it back from the SC. And it doesn't say calibration but actual realignment required.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ralbright
Thanks for all the comments. I actually brought the issue of returning the car immediately when the SC said that they'd need to keep my car past the 7 days. I only had the car for 4 days before it was kept at the shop for 10. The sales people said if I return the car I'm banned from buying the same model and config for a year. So, they told me that they had escalated this to business resolution team. But it has been a week and they have no idea what that team is doing. And yes, as Raiders mentioned and the sales person also said lemon law does not apply in this case. So I'm in limbo on this.

And AP did work on the 4 days that I had the car. It stopped working after I took it back from the SC. And it doesn't say calibration but actual realignment required.

oh man what a headache, now the AP needs work? Tesla is the worst, I cant imagine having to trust their word on anything. I hate bringing in my car for service because of fears of stuff like this

And yes, as Raiders mentioned and the sales person also said lemon law does not apply in this case. So I'm in limbo on this.

Couple things, and this is just my two cents: 1) lemon laws vary between states, so you should review your state's law and understand your rights under it; 2) while the lemon law may not be immediately applicable for relief in this situation, after you review and understand your rights, make sure you're documenting what's transpired in case you do qualify to use it.

I had a co-worker who had a Toyota truck with a recurring body leak. Had he been a little more diligent about documentation, he probably could have pushed for a buy-back. Instead, he kept giving the dealer (and the distributor) chances to fix it -- which they eventually did. On the other hand, he's still driving the truck and it's provided over 15 years of trouble-free service since then, so I guess it worked out fine for him.

• Informative
Reactions: Ormond
Thanks for the advices guys. Yea I need to seriously consider lemon law now. I dropped my car off today for the autopilot error. The rep and even the sales manager at the delivery told me that this is common. And it could be fixed on the same day. Now they have come back saying that the MY is so new, they would have to get the engineers involved since they don't have the software to calibrate it.

They have been test driving these vehicles for months and they don't even have a calibration software in place? Seriously, it's approaching 3 weeks since I took delivery and the car has been at the shop most of the time while I incur all the expenses of insuring it.....

Man, I feel sorry for the OP. I hope your issues get sorted. My desires to own a Tesla are fading quickly these last few weeks. Best driving car or not, the quality control and level of service with Tesla appears to be getting worse.

Thanks for the advices guys. Yea I need to seriously consider lemon law now.

Just to be clear, the lemon law is not something you magically consider applying when you feel like you’ve had enough. You need to read your state’s law and understand the documentation required as you attempt to resolve the issue.

Manufacturers (and dealers, though n/a in this case) know the law(s) and can see right through the veiled threats of people throwing the “lemon law” term at them.

Reactions: Dk2112