Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Delivery - My Full List of Build Issues - How Serious Are These?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would definitely not have accepted the car. Don’t know if you can send it back or not. But the paint issues to me are huge. My only experience has been with my 2018 MS 75D. I really have been happy with the car and plan on buying another Tesla soon for my wife. Overall it has been a great car with only very minor issues that have all been addressed by Tesla coming to my house to fix. Good luck with it. I still look for excuses to go drive my car. Cheers

My son, an engineer, took pocession of a new Model Y last week. He was concerned about the quality control issue after reading all the blogs the last 6 months. He made a long list of all the issues that had come up and was going to give the car a good inspection before accepting. He went over the car with the sales rep and he said he was amazed he couldn't find anything wrong and he was pleasantly surprised. He also has a 2012 Model S and said he loves the Y.

I picked up my Model Y 2 weeks ago and found these along with some minor issues. The pictures of the white miss-aligned parts are of the hatchback/trunk and the roof. There also wasn't any windshield washer fluid and my voice assist commands didn't work. My Model Y is in the shop now and they estimate 4 days to complete the repairs.
IMG_8649.jpg
IMG_8650.jpg
IMG_8652.jpg
IMG_8661.jpg
IMG_8678.jpg
IMG_8696.jpg
IMG_8697.jpg

I have a MY. I has a couple of issues as well, but nothing like that. I would have rejected that one. Almost everyone has talked about the driver's side tail light. My mis-aligned one is on the passenger side. Also have a bubble on the front edge of the driver's door and some issues with paint on the hinges. I also have a 2016 MS that didn't have any issues.

Hi everyone,

I just took delivery of a Model Y yesterday - it's my first Tesla and I am very pleased by it.

I'm not a car expert, but I've diligently tracked all the potential build issues I spotted - see below.

I wanted to ask car experts on here which of these (if any) are serious issues, so I can be aware of them. It seems like Tesla is still racing to get the cars out the door - I saw tape from the factory in multiple places on both the exterior and interior, which was very surprising for me.

----

Paint Streak
There is a bright red streak on the paint on the drivers side - between the door and taillight. It looks like a racing stripe, and appears to have been caused by an issue in the first coat of paint.

3x_b9dG3AHal3dscEwzKZhBjaxQo2uG2IUonWytfDrooQICChubCTf5Nl3EelvO-eVic-fWBJZd3eMRsApEsDk5HRJ54O25v7zndHVmXjYAxUU9bEqZGT8ztTe5nKcX9LYCY850F

jVT5ZuvPSZEiZ3u5gXk_sEpXzURIIAnXSf69z_R9bMXr0ezy5pOAN8IpnZfjtdjQBydF4DpsjSWUB8gNzdBVymHPaWwO2gAraVrAD3uOwCh2jb3tPw_HLgkFeiAgJIBUSfJGH2gf

Plastic Wrap Indicator
There is plastic wrap stuck in the driver’s side rear door. Is this indicative of incomplete work in the undercarriage?

EZ3o6JjxyJoHsgxVNw9AHyJ4oPhfc3EKmoJmo21m8b2dypjpSQH_W_c_nVYRNnEBZOqhipo7ga0yIj0wvTfyai9wTU7gHfKuUlhcixFyc3BM5t2CY9yMnocbBUFPpfgjKyY3gq-t

Partially Painted Section
There is a small unpainted / partially painted section on the top of the passenger side hatchback, with corrosion beginning to take place.

9sj4QnFkVfHquhvmnbWroIZkCDq6QfjK89weGhHL6Ae_DY3J_0vglnjkAVPe6466kim1Wzskpc9-6rxPvLhmpmb7CMwwIEnkJY1KMqlKVt9VN0Ew2seQDAVOi3FinEKyN--938J3

Loose Trim
Drivers side window trim is loose

9BrH71rY72BqGXtv24PKRSeyHIJ2nzzhTuNjzfV2zr9LKVsuGt3x088Ib3Tx6hXEaG44RI1EqdpE4XWG7kFDp0ySXCaZBgywh3RF0OKNWgNb_crlsUcsLjmH5IFXmAgpCBTn-UzQ

Frunk Issue
Front trunk has a gap / misalignment

ErfpGa9Ojq_CDoMDDQVPy16e8PSjq_ZbOA9p1OG1XdFzGZgi5xe0fbwi5KJGWo8BhR4pXoEnApyFNIZoQ2IuIuaEQk0VGk1MjqNikJSFBWJX-Y-KXSiYI9kO0RY7R9yJQQmJ3ZgV

Taillight Alignment
Driver’s side taillight alignment issue

lZTZDLbteDGioQeLTdVO5uQU9xU2iLPJQz_4thIeazWCWqeP3WtOXjkCHPKWKF4taN-alWDnrouoNDsiQv1GrnkvF-pUkFay9shwOfhkK_KWDc3bOH93cC0H6NFTG2wN4N6QXk8j

Headliner Gap & Factory Tape Present
There is a gap between the headliner and roof window - on both sides but particularly noticeable on passenger side. It looks like the adhesive glue here isn’t sticking. In addition there is still a black tape label on the passenger side from the factory - could you please investigate if this was intended to note an issue?

A1L29UUYrZD-9M3CmjykS24IAELPU2fWL033lOBBuT3tLTRR9dbqBwMPtMxexMs-ZAt7AIXyVnoSTkpZxaTq4VzW0SnNMhTlXywY47SNCwt281E_LDNvQU2nJDHfOYAXR18pMNp-
mE6rPhruH-SjX8IM9aVJfjZi6D5XVMXr9pZ01hyWja5aQGfGaFryK3g4oGiHXyuEeGvNGPGsYI3uHRkjOQ4LEmW5h4Bcukwec5R_lh8SsZgayRSmovuxyF0uPSUZ-fYtSbnEAv9a
5TTZarxNRHR4jvUzqEAfYvg7tDZdWwyOOOvn7VFpbDaLUAB5O1ZeKcCpaIx5wugcUVaxijpbnIC2zSbUMNtTD4Q2YqewBrELfRCqVeJfqPQp0K5FGuUpdjRlDLy_1tVDefZlli74

Scuffs / Dirt In Several Interior Locations
Scuff marks on the passenger side interior wall, and passenger side coat hook

iuo-DBsnw-EwfHdoewBpEegh5XHudsgR_smEKmo-327LKcQABaQIvU4xlUdK-mLGq-f78ndikYbfYCSvFJcnZflMvA9kJg-8AbNIxqoy3ZNqrOn5VpnLsl_gBKJdoY_FqSpYpWF4
WuCDes5pPU7sqmYVfcxL_gzQwUNlpNdeTGJ72GNCssHGm-Y1hnqevP0fnGmcD7L5etlGygEzvUWf6CoLFp12AIaf2AN_gp5sYoA3RxNKEdPQGqEcK7mXyxJU56cCOKP_9112MvTl
hm4FJFnJG-rpl6vkAp1rppVh4yDT7Mrvg9Axo76umk-Pl1obfDKyKHXE-090_8ChQZUq3ylw4HC1Ers2MO1MGJRqwqhxpaIYjmcRx6n8p9qREFkyjQEgpQ5vKsHDA-mpaxjTzDCm
aRNmsltOjbjF9VfpwHtdnZUYVXBXmgBDOrtycnctNb8JpeBDn83B55Rp0TpQW5JpPmd2m3G1DpU1ePw3gmtawpF6SJfcUoVm_pD2UdIZrEJ0q0A0u-bPVofkHW3tkwZoY7nvwwDg

Weld Issue
Conspicuous weld in brake pedal

DiY0mT8C9h8CYSDo7VagfOLHj3R5R50dKd2VTEcQlhR5fL7ursry9bld7UnKpFYuT3sKSKuqlaidbCeeCwmj3RJkijCgyo04Cb5QcwoH6R4r1iTNS-y-Q8PMJOh7Oj31-fCa0QpX

Backseat Not Flush
Middle seat doesn’t appear to be flush on right side

tNwwNTbENaZ9T9yb7slZ1xuTZwai0vQc3Q6F-CuUFG8GSBSolIzeY141VdHD52dkniB8Qex99pP7ZC3JWHwxWMEdKSF4RCv1afcpwf9wZD54v0Wu6o7um_3lVpB7o9oZhKI6yv4Q
The paint streak is unacceptable. If you're keeping the car, insist on having this fixed. As repainting can be problematic, this is a reason to return it if it's not too late.
The plastic is probably just plastic they apply to protect during shipping.
They need to fix that rough edge.
Loose trim is easily fixed.
They can probably fix the frunk alignment.
Others have reported that Tesla can't fix misaligned taillights at this time. I agree it looks bad.
They should be able to fix the headliner.
They should be able to clean the dirt.
I wouldn't care about the brake pedal.
They can fix the misaligned 2nd row seat.

Reactions: MisterScary
People were saying the MY build issues were rare and just the complainers were making noise, but I kept reading about issues. So, I went to SLC Tesla to see for myself. They probably had 20 model Ys there. Of the 3-4 I inspected closely, I saw build issues on EVERY SINGLE ONE, and I'm not picky or a car buff. However, I have owned a lot of cars including normal people cars like Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Ford and have never ever seen issues like this. I also owned an early M3 and didn't see anything like this. I saw dents in the hood, misaligned panels, greasy fingerprints on the inside headliner, among others. I wasn't impressed at all and canceled my order. No way in hell I'm forking out 60K to only have to deal with issues post delivery. When I hear they have their sh*t together, I'll re-order.

so in their rush to get cars out of the factory, the "QA Team" takes a metal hammer to the hinges to force alignment, and even then the hatch isn't aligned. I've seen too many pictures of hinges with large gouges on them so I can only assume that it's acceptable procedure inside the Tesla factory. Sometimes they glob on touch up paint, and sometimes they just leave the metal scarred and bare. Wonderful stuff :rolleyes:

well the good news is Sandy Munro says this is the first Tesla he recommends, so that says something as far as engineering goes. As far as build quality, that's the concern since it seems like they're just trying to crank out as many Ys as they can to please Elon and the shareholders.

• Disagree
Reactions: Shortcircuit
First off, I wish people would quit saying all this is typical. Tesla is delivering thousands of these cars and the majority of them do not exhibit all these issues. One issue on here is common -- the mismatched rear seat. Tesla is aware of this, it affects the Majority of Model Ys and they are fixing it.

The plastic wrap is just that. They should have pulled it all away when they prepped your car.

Loose or improper trim is unacceptable and they should have addressed it when prepping your car as it can usually be fixed in minutes. Same with the hood/ frunk misalignment and most rear trunk hatch misalignments as they have tensional adjustment ability built in.

Other panel gaps and headlight/tail light alignments are not as easy to fix and repairs may differ based on why they're out of alignment. Door panels are on a 'floating' mount setup of sorts. There is some wiggle room to get them positioned properly. But it's not easy. to fix door panel alignments they have to take the door apart and there's no guarantee that they can move them enough to fix the gap. The lights usually mount directly to mount points offering little room for adjustment other than perhaps being able to shim them a bit. If they're really far out of alignment it could mean they were poorly mounted and need to be tightened down or fasteners are cross-threaded already or something isn't right could be an easy fix, could be unable to fix, needs to be diagnosed.

The paint. That's bad. That may or may not be corrosion on the panel edge, hard to tell from the photo. It's improperly finished either way. Id say the entire car needs to be repainted.

I don't know if I would have refused this car outright if it were mine. I think I would have got them to agree to note all the issues and fixes and schedule repairs before I drove off the lot with it. I would also see if I could get a full car repaint out of it. Like I said in another post around here somewhere, that could be a chance to get the car painted a new unique color.

I'm sorry but the quality assurance problem is literally on every car delivered. My brother and dad and friend just delivered, so a total of 3 different model y's. The seat alignment and charge port alignment, as well is door trim alignment are off on all three vehicles. On top of that, another member pointed out that at the dealer most cars he saw had the same quality assurance problems.

Tesla is rushing out these cars too fast and it shows.

I believe it is best to reject this car. Not only for your peace of mind but also so that Tesla really gets this financially. They are doing a huge disservice to loyal customers and supporters. If they continue to prioritize sales and revenue over customer loyalty, they will be in trouble when they have real competition. That could be as soon as 2022. I rejected a Y earlier for far less. I stopped on the way home and looked at a 2015 Hyundai and my 2016 BMW X3 and believe me Tesla isn't even close to their bodywork.

Hi everyone,

I just took delivery of a Model Y yesterday - it's my first Tesla and I am very pleased by it.

I'm not a car expert, but I've diligently tracked all the potential build issues I spotted - see below.

I wanted to ask car experts on here which of these (if any) are serious issues, so I can be aware of them. It seems like Tesla is still racing to get the cars out the door - I saw tape from the factory in multiple places on both the exterior and interior, which was very surprising for me.

----

Paint Streak
There is a bright red streak on the paint on the drivers side - between the door and taillight. It looks like a racing stripe, and appears to have been caused by an issue in the first coat of paint.

3x_b9dG3AHal3dscEwzKZhBjaxQo2uG2IUonWytfDrooQICChubCTf5Nl3EelvO-eVic-fWBJZd3eMRsApEsDk5HRJ54O25v7zndHVmXjYAxUU9bEqZGT8ztTe5nKcX9LYCY850F

jVT5ZuvPSZEiZ3u5gXk_sEpXzURIIAnXSf69z_R9bMXr0ezy5pOAN8IpnZfjtdjQBydF4DpsjSWUB8gNzdBVymHPaWwO2gAraVrAD3uOwCh2jb3tPw_HLgkFeiAgJIBUSfJGH2gf

Plastic Wrap Indicator
There is plastic wrap stuck in the driver’s side rear door. Is this indicative of incomplete work in the undercarriage?

EZ3o6JjxyJoHsgxVNw9AHyJ4oPhfc3EKmoJmo21m8b2dypjpSQH_W_c_nVYRNnEBZOqhipo7ga0yIj0wvTfyai9wTU7gHfKuUlhcixFyc3BM5t2CY9yMnocbBUFPpfgjKyY3gq-t

Partially Painted Section
There is a small unpainted / partially painted section on the top of the passenger side hatchback, with corrosion beginning to take place.

9sj4QnFkVfHquhvmnbWroIZkCDq6QfjK89weGhHL6Ae_DY3J_0vglnjkAVPe6466kim1Wzskpc9-6rxPvLhmpmb7CMwwIEnkJY1KMqlKVt9VN0Ew2seQDAVOi3FinEKyN--938J3

Loose Trim
Drivers side window trim is loose

9BrH71rY72BqGXtv24PKRSeyHIJ2nzzhTuNjzfV2zr9LKVsuGt3x088Ib3Tx6hXEaG44RI1EqdpE4XWG7kFDp0ySXCaZBgywh3RF0OKNWgNb_crlsUcsLjmH5IFXmAgpCBTn-UzQ

Frunk Issue
Front trunk has a gap / misalignment

ErfpGa9Ojq_CDoMDDQVPy16e8PSjq_ZbOA9p1OG1XdFzGZgi5xe0fbwi5KJGWo8BhR4pXoEnApyFNIZoQ2IuIuaEQk0VGk1MjqNikJSFBWJX-Y-KXSiYI9kO0RY7R9yJQQmJ3ZgV

Taillight Alignment
Driver’s side taillight alignment issue

lZTZDLbteDGioQeLTdVO5uQU9xU2iLPJQz_4thIeazWCWqeP3WtOXjkCHPKWKF4taN-alWDnrouoNDsiQv1GrnkvF-pUkFay9shwOfhkK_KWDc3bOH93cC0H6NFTG2wN4N6QXk8j

Headliner Gap & Factory Tape Present
There is a gap between the headliner and roof window - on both sides but particularly noticeable on passenger side. It looks like the adhesive glue here isn’t sticking. In addition there is still a black tape label on the passenger side from the factory - could you please investigate if this was intended to note an issue?

A1L29UUYrZD-9M3CmjykS24IAELPU2fWL033lOBBuT3tLTRR9dbqBwMPtMxexMs-ZAt7AIXyVnoSTkpZxaTq4VzW0SnNMhTlXywY47SNCwt281E_LDNvQU2nJDHfOYAXR18pMNp-
mE6rPhruH-SjX8IM9aVJfjZi6D5XVMXr9pZ01hyWja5aQGfGaFryK3g4oGiHXyuEeGvNGPGsYI3uHRkjOQ4LEmW5h4Bcukwec5R_lh8SsZgayRSmovuxyF0uPSUZ-fYtSbnEAv9a
5TTZarxNRHR4jvUzqEAfYvg7tDZdWwyOOOvn7VFpbDaLUAB5O1ZeKcCpaIx5wugcUVaxijpbnIC2zSbUMNtTD4Q2YqewBrELfRCqVeJfqPQp0K5FGuUpdjRlDLy_1tVDefZlli74

Scuffs / Dirt In Several Interior Locations
Scuff marks on the passenger side interior wall, and passenger side coat hook

iuo-DBsnw-EwfHdoewBpEegh5XHudsgR_smEKmo-327LKcQABaQIvU4xlUdK-mLGq-f78ndikYbfYCSvFJcnZflMvA9kJg-8AbNIxqoy3ZNqrOn5VpnLsl_gBKJdoY_FqSpYpWF4
WuCDes5pPU7sqmYVfcxL_gzQwUNlpNdeTGJ72GNCssHGm-Y1hnqevP0fnGmcD7L5etlGygEzvUWf6CoLFp12AIaf2AN_gp5sYoA3RxNKEdPQGqEcK7mXyxJU56cCOKP_9112MvTl
hm4FJFnJG-rpl6vkAp1rppVh4yDT7Mrvg9Axo76umk-Pl1obfDKyKHXE-090_8ChQZUq3ylw4HC1Ers2MO1MGJRqwqhxpaIYjmcRx6n8p9qREFkyjQEgpQ5vKsHDA-mpaxjTzDCm
aRNmsltOjbjF9VfpwHtdnZUYVXBXmgBDOrtycnctNb8JpeBDn83B55Rp0TpQW5JpPmd2m3G1DpU1ePw3gmtawpF6SJfcUoVm_pD2UdIZrEJ0q0A0u-bPVofkHW3tkwZoY7nvwwDg

Weld Issue
Conspicuous weld in brake pedal

DiY0mT8C9h8CYSDo7VagfOLHj3R5R50dKd2VTEcQlhR5fL7ursry9bld7UnKpFYuT3sKSKuqlaidbCeeCwmj3RJkijCgyo04Cb5QcwoH6R4r1iTNS-y-Q8PMJOh7Oj31-fCa0QpX

Backseat Not Flush
Middle seat doesn’t appear to be flush on right side

tNwwNTbENaZ9T9yb7slZ1xuTZwai0vQc3Q6F-CuUFG8GSBSolIzeY141VdHD52dkniB8Qex99pP7ZC3JWHwxWMEdKSF4RCv1afcpwf9wZD54v0Wu6o7um_3lVpB7o9oZhKI6yv4Q
I had similar issues picking up my model Y this weekend. I loved everything about the car except the way it was put together. After two days of comparing workmanship to my BMW I requested the issues be fixed and was refused. With all the misalignments And gaps I couldn’t help but think about all of the potential water intrusion issues so I had to give it back.

Reactions: linux-works
If this junk is what we can easily see what is lurking underneath?!?!

And this is the newest Tesla model. They've had the S, X, and 3 to practice on. Here's hoping that the truck will be better, not on par with other manufacturers, just better. Their standard response of "things are within specs" is laughable. Specs of what, a middle school design team?

Bummer, great automotive technology, but I would have rejected over the big paint streak. The hinges being nicked seems common at the moment, but that seems minor. Not that it means it’s ok, the no touch delivery and Covid drama are where some of the dirt and plastic film are coming from. Not a big deal there, but the main paint? Meh that’s going to be a PITA to get right, and will take time and stress I wouldn’t deal with on a new car.

Reactions: raggedy and DadEBoy

I bought one of the early Model 3s (August 2018) and had no issues like those. My neighbor, a car nut, refused to try a test drive, and sat in the back seat. He said that the upholstery at the top of the back of the front seat was not well done and needed to be re-sewed. I could not see whatever problem he was talking about. His main complaint was the wacky screen control and lack of buttons. I also did not like that, but it only takes a week or two before even an oldster like me becomes a big screen convert.

It's now been 15,000 miles, mostly charged for free off my roof, no service, and the Model 3 is still incredible. It was underpriced.

Reactions: alloverx