Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y foot/kick sensor.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will the model y trunk kick sensor open the trunk when backing into a spot and the car approaches a curb?

I have not experienced this. The only issue (if you can call it that) that I have had is I once accidentally triggered it closing when my wife and I were making multiple trips to load up the back. I must have triggered it trying to get out of her way after dropping my stuff off in back. I heard it trigger and stopped it from clobbering her on the head. That's my fault, not the sensor's.

The car would likely be locked while you are backing in anyway. If the car is locked the door should not open from the sensor.

For those that have installed it, do you like it? Does it work well?

My experience has been great. I doubt that you will spend $90 on any other accessory that gives you more value for the money. Just two nights ago I had my hands full approaching the trunk of my M3. It is not even powered let alone kick-sensor enabled. What a pain. First world problem for sure but one that that $90 and a few hours of your time can solve for the MY.

The installation itself is not necessarily easy but if I can do it most people likely can. Running the wire through the rubber boot at the top of the hatch was particularly difficult for me. Also I did not know the proper way to remove the push-pin trim holders which cost me some time to figure out (pull up the middle piece of the pin and they slide out with no effort). I could install a second sensor much faster. I would not look forward to running the wire through the rubber boot again.

Reactions: Ken_Y and ACAG
I’m just wondering... I can use my Apple Watch with a shortcut called “Actute Trunk”. This shortcut will either open or close the trunk
The only time it doesn’t work is if the car is asleep.

if my hands are full even if I yell hey Siri it will work. Didn’t cost me a thing.

I’m just wondering... I can use my Apple Watch with a shortcut called “Actute Trunk”. This shortcut will either open or close the trunk

if my hands are full even if I yell hey Siri it will work. Didn’t cost me a thing.

That's ok, not everyone will feel the need to have it. i also have siri shortcuts, stats, watch for tesla, etc...still prefer to use the instant on kick sensor.

ps, i especially hate that airpod siri always tells me i need to unlock my phone first, but the time i dig out my phone, i wouldn't need to deal with siri

Tesla offer has TWO versions of the kick sensor:
https://www.teslaoffer.com/product/model-3-y-tailgate-foot-activation/

They state:
"The kit come with two safety options: Basic and Extra

The Basic option would include basic foot activated opening and closing feature. The car had an OEM protection that protect the sensor from being activated during driving (speed > 0). However, your foot sensor has the risk of being activated under the following circumstances:
1. During back up parking and the sensor senses a curb when the car stop.
2. During car wash when the phone key is still presented.

The extra safety feature include two extra feature that prevent the foot sensor from activated in unnecessary situations.
The foot sensor will be deactivated when the car is in non-P mode (prevent scenario 1), or when the car’s emergency flash light is turned on (for car wash purpose, prevent scenario 2).
"

Thoughts on the "EXTRA" option....is it worth the $80 more and does scenario 1 make sense.

With the Hansshow version, if the rear of the car senses an obstacle (like a curb when backing into a perpendicular parking spot with the doors unlocked) will the trunk open?

With the Hansshow version, if the rear of the car senses an obstacle (like a curb when backing into a perpendicular parking spot with the doors unlocked) will the trunk open?

I would think that you would have to back all the way over something. I have to kick my foot underneath the car to trigger it. Getting near an object like a curb won't do it. You'd have to drive over it.

Where do I get my free Apple watch? I have an Android phone. Can I buy an Apple watch for less than the $90 I paid for the Hanshow kit?

I'm glad that an Apple watch works for you but they are neither free nor something that everyone wants to wear all the time. I'd have to buy one for my wife as well. Now I'm out the cost of two watches. Then I'd have to have it on every time I wanted to interact with the hatch of the car. I haven't worn a watch of any type for 15 years or more. The kick sensor, for me, is a better fit. It likely would also be a better fit for any family where every member of the family does not own an Apple watch.

Where do I get my free Apple watch? I have an Android phone. Can I buy an Apple watch for less than the $90 I paid for the Hanshow kit?

I'm glad that an Apple watch works for you but they are neither free nor something that everyone wants to wear all the time. I'd have to buy one for my wife as well. Now I'm out the cost of two watches. Then I'd have to have it on every time I wanted to interact with the hatch of the car. I haven't worn a watch of any type for 15 years or more. The kick sensor, for me, is a better fit. It likely would also be a better fit for any family where every member of the family does not own an Apple watch.

Great Points!!!

I've personally not worn a watch since i was a child. For me, it's a phone, a fitness tracker and on and on... No one else drives my car, but I can see the ShortCut option isn't for everyone. But it is a Cheap option if you already use the a SmartWatch. Like I said, the only time it doesn't work for me is when the car has fallen asleep.

If this kit works for you guys without opening up at the wrong time, fantastic. Shoot, with all the stuff I've bought for my Tesla $90 is nothing!

I tried to install it last Monday, it took me over 2 hours after watching the tutorials on Youtube more than once, from different sources. Now when I move my foot under the sensor, the motor starts (you can hear the sound and the interior light came on) but the trunk won't open. But you can tell it really tried. It seems something is holding the trunk down. Any one here who installed it can give me an idea what went wrong?

I tried to install it last Monday, it took me over 2 hours after watching the tutorials on Youtube more than once, from different sources. Now when I move my foot under the sensor, the motor starts (you can hear the sound and the interior light came on) but the trunk won't open. But you can tell it really tried. It seems something is holding the trunk down. Any one here who installed it can give me an idea what went wrong?

something must be stuck. maybe a panel is not popped all the way in and is getting caught. the kick sensor simply fakes a button press.

Sounds like a nightmare for having your trunk open and hit garage door, parking pillars, etc.

already have enough anxiety the trunk can open on my Y and get ruined on whatever it hits. Let alone a “makeshift” sensor that opens on its own.

for me this is a pass even though it is very convenient