Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y for short drivers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for allowing me to join this forum. I've had my reservation in for the cyber truck for a year now. Since its likely two more years for delivery, I've decided to purchase the Model Y or or 3. We'll likely keep whatever we buy now even when the truck arrives. I drove both today and liked them both just fine. My question is is this the model Y a good vehicle for a short driver. My wife is 5' and I'm wondering would a model 3 be better? She didn't go with me for the test drive today however, she will this weekend. We have 30 minutes to drive each one of them and it may be enough time to make that determination. Any comments from Y owners would be great. Thanks!

The Tesla Model Y and Tesla Model 3 support Easy Entry Mode for the driver. When you set Easy Entry mode the Tesla vehicle will remember your seat position and steering wheel position for entry and egress. The Easy Entry mode settings are separate from the named driver profile(s) that you can set. The driver profiles also set the mirrors, climate control and depending on the software version other preferences.

If you enable, set up Easy Entry mode the driver's seat can be set to the lowest height and the steering wheel raised up for ease of entry and exit. It is possible that even with the driver's seat at the lowest height setting your wife may have to step up to sit in the driver's seat.

The seat of the Tesla Model 3 is ~4 inches lower than in the Model Y so it is unlikely that your wife will have to step up to sit in the driver's seat of the Model 3.

Thanks for allowing me to join this forum. I've had my reservation in for the cyber truck for a year now. Since its likely two more years for delivery, I've decided to purchase the Model Y or or 3. We'll likely keep whatever we buy now even when the truck arrives. I drove both today and liked them both just fine. My question is is this the model Y a good vehicle for a short driver. My wife is 5' and I'm wondering would a model 3 be better? She didn't go with me for the test drive today however, she will this weekend. We have 30 minutes to drive each one of them and it may be enough time to make that determination. Any comments from Y owners would be great. Thanks!
My wife is 5'2, and she's fine with the Y. What are you worried about? Entry/Exit, or driving position? Just curious. With that being said, the only thing I know that she mentioned was that the shoulder belt height adjuster in the Y doesn't adjust low enough... Even I can see that... None of our other vehicles have this problem with the height adjustment... Just the Y. Nothing major tho. I figure a padded cover for the shoulder belt should suffice.

Hi avs007, My worry is will she be able to see over the right side of the vehicle. Many short folks complain this. Every time we buy a new car this is the first consideration before even buying. I'm thinking we'll be okay.
She should be fine... The seat can actually adjust pretty high... I was surprised actually when I was switching profiles between mine and my wife's...

My wife is 5’1” and we own a Model 3 and a Model Y. She much prefers driving the 3.

In the Y, the B-pillar blocks her view when checking over her left shoulder.

She has no issues with comfort or getting good seat height in either car.

My wife is 5’1” and we own a Model 3 and a Model Y. She much prefers driving the 3.

In the Y, the B-pillar blocks her view when checking over her left shoulder.

She has no issues with comfort or getting good seat height in either car.
My wife is 5', we own the Y and a CRV. In the Y, she has the same complaint with respect to the B pillar on the left side, since she sits so far forward.

Respectively, she also does not like the rear windshield of the MY being so tall and small. Seems like the M3 may be better in both.

Reactions: X-Chris